• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Northern California - Community Service to Advance Open Carry

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'm pretty sure that sentence is syntactically decodable to its intended (sarcasm-laden) meaning if you read it carefully.

What I'm saying is people are getting too fixed on the idea of a my suggestion being "sting" (which it wouldn't be), and forgetting that the cops are the ones initiating action by breaking the law.

What I'm saying is if we want to be taken seriously we should use the courts to assert our rights and the actual law, like Calguns has been doing for some time now.

What I'm saying is you're all wrong, and litigation will cause us to be taken much more seriously than saying "No, I don't want to "set up" anybody, that wouldn't seem nice enough. I want to educate the community first!". Especially when you can't educate in the first place, because the police illegally prohibit legal OC.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Marshaul is right. The most effective path to protecting our rights is by litigation. While there is no harm in simply desiring to inform your fellow citizens, it is a fruitless effort since our fellow citizens generally side with the LEOs or simply don't give a damn enough to do anything.

The only way we will restore and preserve our rights is through litigation.

Decoligny

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Marshaul, please forgive me for not picking up on got sarcastic tone in your font. (that was sarcastic)
What I'm saying is while I agree that having a video cammera there to prove that leo screwed up, if they do that is, wouldnt be a bad idea, but setting it up with a third party is such a hysterical liberal thing to do. We could keep a cammera with us to document our day of community service and upload the video to YouTube to help educate public, and it could help our defence if leo shows up. But I feel like if we use a third party to "catch the police" and main stream media uses it, most of the ignorant public will see us as a threat, as main stream media generally portrays guns as a threat. I've never heard a news report about a man with a gun, and then nothing happened.
Marshaul, you come of as a liberal that is pro gun, with a stance of "I'm protecting my right and f the big man" take a step back and try looking at your rights from a more conservative point of view.
The idea of having some "third party" videotaping from a distance, is for those cases (rare though they may be)where a LEO might not "appreciate" being taped, and either confiscate the recording equipment as "evidence" which then mysteriously gets erased before it gets to the station. It might seem paranoid, but, if we don't protect ourselves from out of control LEOs, who will.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
...take a step back and try looking at your rights from a more conservative point of view.
Ironic, since the only rights 'the right' recognizes are guns and religion. Perhaps you should take a step back and try looking at your rights from a more liberal point of view.

Better still, adapt a libertarian point of view.

I can't remember who the quote should be attributed to, but it goes something like this: "The problem with gun rights is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights."

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
Maybe I should have said to take a step back and try demonstrating your rights im a more conservative way. Or maybe you have a point, let's do this like liberals do, we can handcuff ourselves together, block traffic, prevent people from getting to work, and yell some chants on a megaphone, that will show the public that all we want is our rights. Let's go all out and have a gun pride parade, we can give eachother hand jobs in public, just like the gay pride parade, we can do it while OCing, the public will then see that we are just normal people doing what our legal rights say we can, maybe that's too extreme, we can just OC and lay in the middle of 101 silently in protest. Wait, let's try a conservative stance, we could just OC over dinner, we could be calm and collective, and wear normal clothes, not yell, not inturupt peoples lives, and maybe people will see that we are just living normal lives, but we carry guns.
The acts of few do not mean they represent the many.

And show me evidence that gay pride parades consist of gay men giving each other hand jobs, because that sounds highly unlikely.

I never really get why people always assume gun rights advocates are all staunchly conservative. I also don't get why you think that by insulting gays that you will further your point. There very well may be gay or lesbian members on this board and I for one would much rather have them with us in the fight for greater gun rights as opposed to push them away. Lets try not to come off as being for some rights (gun rights) while being against others (gay rights).

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
I'm not against the rights of the gay community, however I think I should have the right to walk down the street and not worry about seeing what goes on at their parades. Drive around San francisco for a while and I promise you will see at least 1 guy walking around with assless pants, and no underwear. I really shouldn't have to be subjected to indecent exposure on streets that my money goes to.
I guarantee there are 100 times as many women wearing g-strings at the beach as you will find assless pants in SF. Yet this is acceptable in our culture. Why? Because it's not gay.

While the religious zealots would happily ban both, they would certainly be much more outspoken about gay men showing their asses than pretty heterosexual women.

As for being subjected to 'indecent exposure' on streets that you helped pay for: how do we define "indecent?" Simply put, it is what YOU find offensive. Your idea of indecent certainly isn't the same as mine. My great-grandmother thought it was indecent for a woman to wear blue jeans. So, who's version of 'decency' do we get to enforce?

I think people should be allowed to do anything they want, so long as they aren't infringing on someone else's rights. Does a man walking down the street with his ass hanging out really harm you? Obviously it offends you, but you don't have a right to go through life unoffended. The solution is to stop being so easily offended!

"It is not things that offend us, it is how we interpret those things"
~Epictetus ca.55 ca.135

D53

imported post

OK, this back and forth fight really doesn't need to be in this thread. The thread was started by a member looking to further the acknoledgement of the people's right to OPEN CARRY a unloaded holstere firearm here in California. Whether it be a bbq, a demonstration, community service while OC, or what have you.

Back on point, I am in Sacramento and willing to meet up with other OCers to see what we can come up with to help the local population and LEO understand that you can OC in California and why some people do.

I am working on a personal survey/study that I plan on acting on. I am planning on going around and asking local LE ( Sacramento Sheriffs Deputys, Sac PD, Citrus Heights PD, Placer County,Roseville PD, Folsom PD, etc) and seeing if they know about OC in Califronia and what they think about it. I will not ask them for their badge numbers or if I can use them in a personal quote, but just for my personal survey. I will be carrying a bunch of copys of the California Open Flyer with me to give to them to read if they have not recieved it from their department yet. I will also give them a list of reasons why I open carry.

D53

imported post

I am really open to letting as many people know about it as possible. I had thought about contactingmy local new station and bring it up to them for a story, but honestly I don't feel confident enought that I could go on television and give a great representation to the cause. I could do good, but if it were to be on television I would want to make sure that while talking I had 110% of my facts straight and made sure in no way could I slip and say one wrong thing that could actually hurt the OC or gun community in general.

I bought a note pad to keep in my back pocket, so when I do see a LEO that is not conducting an arrest or traffic stop that I may ask his opinion and his knowledge on OC in California. And I will have a stack of the Californiaopencarry.org pamplet, business cards, and flyer with me to give to the officer or officers. I will also have those with me when I go into businesses or stores soif I get asked about it I can explain and then hand over more lititure for them to read after I am gone.

Oh yeah and one last thing. Call it cowardly, but when I go to the police station and/or I see a LEO I will keep my holster for my weapon and my magazines, and my loaded magazines on, but I will leave my pistol in my vehicle in a locked container. I will only be doing this because I noticed that LEO get very edgy and defensive when they see a civilian walking at them with a weapon, and I want to make sure that, yes they know I OC, but I am not trying to be a threat just trying to do my best to educate and yet be respectful, wether or not I get that repspect back.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

D53 wrote:
Oh yeah and one last thing. Call it cowardly, but when I go to the police station and/or I see a LEO I will keep my holster for my weapon and my magazines, and my loaded magazines on, but I will leave my pistol in my vehicle in a locked container.
Don't just leave your weapon in your car because you think the police might be edgy. Leave it in your car because open carrying in a government building is illegal. It might be a good idea to brush up on the laws before you accidentally break one of them.

Code:
171b.  (a) Any person who brings or possesses within any state or
local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the
public pursuant to Chapter 9 (commencing with Section 54950) of Part
1 of Division 2 of Title 5 of, or Article 9 (commencing with Section
11120) of Chapter 1 of Part 1 of Division 3 of Title 2 of, the
Government Code, any of the following is guilty of a public offense
punishable by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one
year, or in the state prison:
(1) Any firearm.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

What I would really like to do is start a petition asking our legislature to repeal 12031. We could have information/petition tables on college campuses (unarmed, of course) and we could also set up tables at shopping centers.

Anybody have any idea how to draft a petition?

D53

imported post

Don't just leave your weapon in your car because you think the police might be edgy. Leave it in your car because open carrying in a government building is illegal. It might be a good idea to brush up on the laws before you accidentally break one of them.

I think i typed that wwrong. I ment for it to mean that when I see a LEO on th street I will not approach him while OC. I didn't make that seperation when I typed about going to the Police station.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
but setting it up with a third party is such a hysterical liberal thing to do.
I knew this was coming. And this is why the CA boards here accomplish nothing.

Senseless bias anyone? :quirky

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
...take a step back and try looking at your rights from a more conservative point of view.
Ironic, since the only rights 'the right' recognizes are guns and religion.  Perhaps you should take a step back and try looking at your rights from a more liberal point of view.

Better still, adapt a libertarian point of view.

I can't remember who the quote should be attributed to, but it goes something like this: "The problem with gun rights is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights."
+100

Thanks, CA_Libertarian.