Thread: Is this a crime?

Post imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/virg...es-after-chase

Robert Larry Guillory Jr., 27, of the 800 block of Chimney Hill Parkway, is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank while armed and two counts of conspiracy.

Is this really a crime? Entering a bank while armed? Really?

OR ... is the Pilot just making stuff up out of thin air as usual?

Post imported post

Isent the folllowing email to the reporter who wrote the article:

Mr. Washington,

We all know that the Pilot is anti-gun. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And I think we can all agree that robbing banks is bad. But there are charges in your article that are not crimes. This leads me to ask if these are typographical errors or if they are new examples of the kind of irresponsible anti-gun sensationalism we have grown accustomed to from the Pilot.

"four counts of use of a firearm" - Using a firearm is not a crime. Maybe is was supposed to be, "Use of a firearm in the commision of a felony." since that charge is not listed.

"two counts of entering a bank while armed" - If the bank expressly forbid entering while being armed, the charge would be "tresspassing." "Entering a bank while armed" is not a crime. AND, laws are usually specific, so if I were a lawyer, I'd say that my client entered a credit union and not a bank.

Mr, Washington, these guys allegedly broke the law. They got caught. There is enough truth to the story to report. There is no need to make stuff up.

Sincerely,

-----

Virginia Beach, VA

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
    http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/virg...es-after-chase

Robert Larry Guillory Jr., 27, of the 800 block of Chimney Hill Parkway, is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank while armed and two counts of conspiracy.

Is this really a crime? Entering a bank while armed? Really?

OR ... is the Pilot just making stuff up out of thin air as usual?
    I just wrote the reporter.

Ed

Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Wow, that was quick. The following reply was received:

Mr.-------

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. As I’m sure you are aware, any charges we report are provided to us by the police. We don’t “make stuff up.”

But as you say everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I will check with the police spokesman to see if an error was made in the information they sent out. Thanks again.

Jim Washington

Post imported post

See the other thread in this forum about this same matter:

marshaul wrote:
    § 18.2-93. Entering bank, armed, with intent to commit larceny.
    If any person, armed with a deadly weapon, shall enter any banking house, in the daytime or in the nighttime, with intent to commit larceny of money, bonds, notes, or other evidence of debt therein, he shall be guilty of a Class 2 felony.
    The other thread is: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20100.html

TFred

Post imported post

OK, just like "in the commision of a felony" was dropped off the first charge, it looks like the "with the intent" part was dropped off the other one.

Post imported post

It's kind of neat (gag) how they can plausibly deny intentional deception, and at the same time, perpetuate the anti-gun agenda that carrying a gun into a bank is against the law.

Very convenient.

TFred

Post imported post

That reporter sounds like an A$$ clown. Acting as if the media never gets it wrong.....

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

But there are very good points here. The uninitiated might read that article and assume that entering a bank while armed IS against the law. Then they tell someone else about this and before you know it, incorrect information gets spread.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    That reporter sounds like an A$$ clown. Acting as if the media never gets it wrong.....

And, his explanation puts him squarely as a government transmitter. Just take what the cops give out and pass it along.

Yeah, it was the fault of the police. That's it.

Although that is not entirely wrong. It would have its uses.

If that is what really occurred, then the police propaganda officer...er...spokesman is the target of the next e-mail salvo.

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

I guess the age of a "journalist" doing real research on what he is reporting is long gone.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    rebfan wrote:

And, his explanation puts him squarely as a government transmitter. Just take what the cops give out and pass it along.

If that is what really occurred, then the police propaganda officer...er...spokesman is the target of the next e-mail salvo.
    I realize the Police can be wrong, but this seems to be a stretch to believe the police are that dense to believe these are real charges and to report them as such.

Post imported post

I just checked out the link in the OP, and it appears the story has been updated!

TFred

[suspect 1] is charged with four counts robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.

[suspect 2] is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    rebfan wrote:

I realize the Police can be wrong, but this seems to be a stretch to believe the police are that dense to believe these are real charges and to report them as such.
    I agree. But it requires little stretch to thinksome police would not be above carefully phrasing a press release to continue to discourage gun carry by law-abiding citizens.

And even if he is just using police "lingo", the police spokesman should hear about it.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    I just checked out the link in the OP, and it appears the story has been updated!

TFred

[suspect 1] is charged with four counts robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.

[suspect 2] is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.
    I think the reporter was a pretty stand-up guy. He made the corrections to the story in a pretty timely fashion. It is good to see that. It is also good to see that we can make a difference by providing the facts to the public.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

Post imported post

Post imported post

My, my! What a big banana you have....

Post imported post

:P

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred

Yahoo!!

The e-mail senders hopefully have sent the guy a follow up to thank him.

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred

Yahoo!!

The e-mail senders hopefully have sent the guy a follow up to thank him.
    Sure did!

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    I guess the age of a "journalist" doing real research on what he is reporting is long gone.
    Why do research everyone knows the cops are always right.:what: Just ask Chet and Dan.
    Revelation 1911 - And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    It's kind of neat (gag) how they can plausibly deny intentional deception, and at the same time, perpetuate the anti-gun agenda that carrying a gun into a bank is against the law.

Very convenient.

TFred
    Very good observation TFred. Reminds me of the time the Roanoke Times took my letter to the editor, and selectively using only my words, edited it to say something completely different (ie liberal) than I was. It may have been the newspaper or even the cops that "edited" the charges to make them sound more restrictive than they really are.

Post imported post

What will be interesting is to see if the print edition prints a correction in a subsequent issue.

TFred