• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is this a crime?

vbnative73

imported post

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/virginia-beach-police-charge-two-bank-robberies-after-chase

Robert Larry Guillory Jr., 27, of the 800 block of Chimney Hill Parkway, is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank while armed and two counts of conspiracy.

Is this really a crime? Entering a bank while armed? Really?

OR ... is the Pilot just making stuff up out of thin air as usual?

vbnative73

imported post

Isent the folllowing email to the reporter who wrote the article:

Mr. Washington,

We all know that the Pilot is anti-gun. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. And I think we can all agree that robbing banks is bad. But there are charges in your article that are not crimes. This leads me to ask if these are typographical errors or if they are new examples of the kind of irresponsible anti-gun sensationalism we have grown accustomed to from the Pilot.

"four counts of use of a firearm" - Using a firearm is not a crime. Maybe is was supposed to be, "Use of a firearm in the commision of a felony." since that charge is not listed.

"two counts of entering a bank while armed" - If the bank expressly forbid entering while being armed, the charge would be "tresspassing." "Entering a bank while armed" is not a crime. AND, laws are usually specific, so if I were a lawyer, I'd say that my client entered a credit union and not a bank.

Mr, Washington, these guys allegedly broke the law. They got caught. There is enough truth to the story to report. There is no need to make stuff up.

Sincerely,

-----

Virginia Beach, VA

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/12/virginia-beach-police-charge-two-bank-robberies-after-chase

Robert Larry Guillory Jr., 27, of the 800 block of Chimney Hill Parkway, is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank while armed and two counts of conspiracy.

Is this really a crime? Entering a bank while armed? Really?

OR ... is the Pilot just making stuff up out of thin air as usual?
I just wrote the reporter.

Ed

vbnative73

imported post

Wow, that was quick. The following reply was received:

Mr.-------

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. As I’m sure you are aware, any charges we report are provided to us by the police. We don’t “make stuff up.”

But as you say everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I will check with the police spokesman to see if an error was made in the information they sent out. Thanks again.

Jim Washington

TFred

imported post

See the other thread in this forum about this same matter:

marshaul wrote:
§ 18.2-93. Entering bank, armed, with intent to commit larceny.
If any person, armed with a deadly weapon, shall enter any banking house, in the daytime or in the nighttime, with intent to commit larceny of money, bonds, notes, or other evidence of debt therein, he shall be guilty of a Class 2 felony.

The other thread is: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/20100.html

TFred

vbnative73

imported post

OK, just like "in the commision of a felony" was dropped off the first charge, it looks like the "with the intent" part was dropped off the other one.

TFred

imported post

It's kind of neat (gag) how they can plausibly deny intentional deception, and at the same time, perpetuate the anti-gun agenda that carrying a gun into a bank is against the law.

Very convenient.

TFred

rebfan

imported post

That reporter sounds like an A$$ clown. Acting as if the media never gets it wrong.....

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

But there are very good points here. The uninitiated might read that article and assume that entering a bank while armed IS against the law. Then they tell someone else about this and before you know it, incorrect information gets spread.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rebfan wrote:
That reporter sounds like an A$$ clown. Acting as if the media never gets it wrong.....

And, his explanation puts him squarely as a government transmitter. Just take what the cops give out and pass it along.

Yeah, it was the fault of the police. That's it.

Although that is not entirely wrong. It would have its uses.

If that is what really occurred, then the police propaganda officer...er...spokesman is the target of the next e-mail salvo.

rebfan

imported post

Citizen wrote:
rebfan wrote:

And, his explanation puts him squarely as a government transmitter. Just take what the cops give out and pass it along.

If that is what really occurred, then the police propaganda officer...er...spokesman is the target of the next e-mail salvo.
I realize the Police can be wrong, but this seems to be a stretch to believe the police are that dense to believe these are real charges and to report them as such.

TFred

imported post

I just checked out the link in the OP, and it appears the story has been updated!

TFred

[suspect 1] is charged with four counts robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.

[suspect 2] is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

rebfan wrote:
Citizen wrote:
rebfan wrote:

I realize the Police can be wrong, but this seems to be a stretch to believe the police are that dense to believe these are real charges and to report them as such.
I agree. But it requires little stretch to thinksome police would not be above carefully phrasing a press release to continue to discourage gun carry by law-abiding citizens.

And even if he is just using police "lingo", the police spokesman should hear about it.

jegoodin

imported post

TFred wrote:
I just checked out the link in the OP, and it appears the story has been updated!

TFred

[suspect 1] is charged with four counts robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.

[suspect 2] is charged with four counts of robbery, four counts of use of a firearm in commission of a felony, two counts of abduction, two counts of entering a bank armed with intent to commit larceny and two counts of conspiracy.

I think the reporter was a pretty stand-up guy. He made the corrections to the story in a pretty timely fashion. It is good to see that. It is also good to see that we can make a difference by providing the facts to the public.

vbnative73

imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred

:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey:celebrate:monkey

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

29610_f.gif

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

TFred wrote:

TFred

Yahoo!!

The e-mail senders hopefully have sent the guy a follow up to thank him.