• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How is it that contributions to the anti-gun Brady Campaign are TAX DEDUCTIBLE?

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Here's an excerpt from a recent e-mail I got from the anti-gun Brady Center (I'm on their mailing list, and you should be too).

The Brady Center has filed a suit asking a federal court to strike down the Administration’s last-minute rule change to allow concealed, loaded guns innational parks and wildlife refuges.

Please give a tax-deductible gift now to help us stop this unnecessary and dangerous ruling. It will allow guns in rural and urban national park areasaround the country

NOTE that the gift is tax-deductible! In order to be tax-deductible, doesn't the organization have to be politically neutral??? How do they get away with this? I know there are lawyers on this board. No tax-deductible donations means less anti-gun money, so I'd like to see if we can beat this.

Armed

imported post

I am certainly no lawyer, but I've been involved with, and worked for non-profits for over 20 years. The organizations I've been involved with were organized as 501 (c) (3), charitable, non-profits, organized for educational purposes.

As I understand it, here's the line: We could NOT endorse a political candidate or party, but we could lobby for an issue that impacts our organization. This could take the form of either supporting a particular legislative bill, or lobbying for it's defeat.

That's my understanding, but I think you would need to know which non-profit code the Brady Campaign has claimed with the feds.

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why couldn't we start the Open Carry Center for opencarry.org. The bradycampaign.org has it's Brady Center which is a501(c)3 educational organization, and isa non-profit organizationwhich is a legally constituted organization whose objective is to support or engage in activities of public or private interest without any external commercial or monetary profit. (I cut and paisted some of that from wickepedia). I am no lawyer by any means but it seems to me that is how they have done it. Just a thought.

Sheriff

imported post

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
No tax-deductible donations means less anti-gun money, so I'd like to see if we can beat this.
I doubt you will beat it during the Obama administration.

LiveFreeOrDie

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Sheriff wrote:
LiveFreeOrDie wrote:
No tax-deductible donations means less anti-gun money, so I'd like to see if we can beat this.
I doubt you will beat it during the Obama administration.
Errr...a suit would be filed in the Courts, not the executive branch. The president is immaterial.

Daddyo

imported post

xd45_in_TX wrote:
Why couldn't we start the Open Carry Center for opencarry.org.  The bradycampaign.org has it's Brady Center which is a 501(c)3 educational organization, and is a non-profit organization which is a legally constituted organization whose objective is to support or engage in activities of public or private interest without any external commercial or monetary profit. (I cut and paisted some of that from wickepedia).  I am no lawyer by any means but it seems to me that is how they have done it.  Just a thought.

I'd support it. It'd be better than flushing money with the NRA.