• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reasons for OC rather than CC

sempercarry

imported post

Just wondering what everybodys reason was that they carry open rather than concealed. For me, it depends on the situation. The only time I carry concealed is when I am with a member of my family that is unfamiliar with guns and made uncomfortable by it......just my sister, or when a sweater isn't warm enough and I have to wear a jacket. Other than that, it's just more tactical to have it open.

Kildars

imported post

Well one, to show that I can and it's legal.

For two, it's a deterent. I'd rather never ever have to use my firearm so showing it, I think, increase the odds I never will.

For three, it's more comfortable.

For four, I usually get nicer customer service LOL :)

arms_libertas

imported post

I've found myself concealed carrying more these days so I thought I'd address your question from the concealed carry side. There are a few reasons I choose to conceal carry vs open carry:

1. I am currently studying for a professional exam. I don't study well in silence, so I usually study in a coffee shop. When I'm studying I am deeply concentrated on the material and not my situational awareness. Knowing that, Ifeel EXTREMELY vulnerable to a gun grab.Whenever I open carry while studying, I find myself constantly distracted by the need to be situationally aware and the whole study session becomes a mess (it's not always possible tosit ata table in the corner with my back to the wall... so I'm consantly, intermittently, and ineffectively stopping tolook around and check out the scene). So, now I conceal carry anytime I know I'll be doing anything that requires my full attention and will limit my situational awareness.

2. Sometimes I know I'll be going to someone's residence that is uncomfortable with firearms and where the exposure to safety risk is lower (my personal belief) than being out in the general public. In this instance, I choose to eliminate the potential for personal conflict with a friend and conceal carry.The rationaleI have isthateventhough there is a moredelayed draw time from conceal carry, I will be able to detect a threat more quickly in a personal residence than out in public... When I'm at home, I have my sidearmin the same room withme but not on my hip because I should (hopefully) hear or see something in advance of needing to fire in self-defense and presume the same to be true at someone else's house.

3. With the winter weather I am always wearing a jacket these days. My open carry holsters drop below my jacket line and since the issue of whether or not a partially visible concealed holster is brandishing or not, I prefer not to "poke the bear" and be the test case.

Outside of these 3 conditions/circumstances, I prefer to open carry for faster draw time, the deterrent effect, and in also I'm in total agreement with Kildars... it's WAY more comfortable (except when trying to put on a damned seatbelt :p).

PolskiG

imported post

I open carry cause I have low self-esteem and to feel that I have more control and power then those around me. Whensomepeople see me wearing a gun (in a normal non-alarming fashion)they get nervous and tensearound me. I believe that makes me feel better and more confidentabout myself...... plus its way more comfortable.

I also OC because of the shock value it presents. People seemed to have forgotton that guns exist in our world and that good responsible people like us carry for various non-criminal or non-violent reasons.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

I feel personally, lately I'd rather keep it hidden...lately I have gotten so much shit from Obama supporters n shit, that I cant speak my mind without "being a threat." Generally people are to ******* stupid to be around guns. I get random people now almost trying to disarm me.....not even people that are cops or employees telling me to leave and what not....for me lately I just CC. Im more worried about leftys more than i am about "gangstas" at this point. Also since its winter and I cc, I went from a .45 to a 7.62 x 39....guess what that is.....still legal, but I garantee if I OCed it, the SWAT team would be called.....

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

sempercarry wrote:
7.62x39? wtf are you carrying? an ak?
+1

Do you mind if I ask how you normally dress as well, out of curiosity? (If you do mind then I apologize for asking)

ETA: I OC to educate citizens, and deter criminals. The element of surprise argument for CC doesn't seem to withstand critical analysis.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I think the guy might be a little off, but I do agree with the sentiment of being more afraid of the anti-gunners than criminals. Criminals are predators, they go after perceived week, guns are a good deterrant to that.

Tawnos

imported post

PolskiG wrote:
I open carry cause I have low self-esteem and to feel that I have more control and power then those around me. Whensomepeople see me wearing a gun (in a normal non-alarming fashion)they get nervous and tensearound me. I believe that makes me feel better and more confidentabout myself...... plus its way more comfortable.

I also OC because of the shock value it presents. People seemed to have forgotton that guns exist in our world and that good responsible people like us carry for various non-criminal or non-violent reasons.
Troll, or serious? If serious: :what:

PolskiG

imported post

Whats "troll" mean? No, thats what some of my peers think arethe reason some of usopen carry. I just wanted to put it out there for anyone to come forward if they feel this way...or if they've had anyone else say the same thing to them.

Iadmit though,I feel more defensivean less approachable when I do open carry, kind of likei'm saying to the world,"see my gun, yea i'm protecting myself leave me alone, stay back 20 feet!" Idon'tknowif thatshealthy.

Keepinmind,I do this for me only and I try not to get influence about what other people think, thoughI am only human. Those same peers also think that thosewhoOC from an activist, education stand point orcomfortis completeright to do so if thats their actual reasons. I think some might usethose reasons only as an excuse, which I feel is wrong...IMO

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Yea that is a veiwsome wackos have. I think you just need to get a little more comfortable withyourself while carrying. I am always aware that I am carrying but the more I carried the less it became a big deal to me. I look at it as a tool only to be used at an appropriate time. Like car insurance, you hope you don't ever have to use it but are glad you have it if you get into a wreck. Also I found most people don't notice or don't care.

shad0wfax

imported post

I open carry for a variety of reasons but two stand out:

1. Political Statement: OC is legal, but not necessarily accepted by the public. Naked bicycle ridding is illegal, but is not only accepted by the public (in Seattle) but not being prosecuted. ---- If people can ride bicycles in Seattle parks naked and not get prosecuted for the crime they are comitting and the rest of the leftys in Seattle won't make a stink about it because they don't want to question their lifestyle choices, why should I care what the same leftys think about exercising my LEGAL right to carry openly?
  2. Practical Defensive Shooting Capability: It's easier to draw from an OC position than a CC position and I can carry a firearm with a much larger frame, magazine capacity, and caliber OC than I could CC. --- I'm able to fire more accurately and control my recoil better with the full-size .45auto I OC than I am with the smaller .357 magnumrevolver I CC. (Both are very capable calibers.)