Thread: Car wash worker chases off robber, ends up in jail

Post imported post

Dec 30, 9:09 PM (ET): http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081231/D95DDAQ00.html

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A car wash attendant chased off a would-be robber with a power washer - and for his trouble got thrown in jail on an old warrant. A gunman wearing a skeleton mask strolled into Washman Carwash in Portland on Dec. 13 and confronted employee Chris B. Truax. "Give me your money!" Truax remembers the man saying, producing what looked like a handgun. The weapon broke, Truax said, and the gunman stuck it back in his waistband.

Aha, Truax remembers thinking, a fake - emboldening him to lead the robber to the till in the car wash's tunnel. The gunman ordered Truax, 25, to fill a bag with cash. Truax stepped away. The robber grabbed for the cash. Truax grabbed for the power washer.

"It was like a quick draw," Truax told The Oregonian newspaper. Pulling the power washer from a pail and aiming it like a rifle, he directed a stream of soapy, lukewarm water at the robber with a force of 2,000 pounds per square inch. The man fled without the money. "It had to hurt. I promise you that," said Jason Marsh, Truax's assistant manager. "It was brilliant."

The robber remains at large.

Truax's employers gave him two days off with pay, but the police jailed him on a 7-year-old warrant accusing him of driving under the influence of intoxicants. He was released the following night."It's about time I took care of it," he said, shrugging.

Post imported post

"...and for his trouble got thrown in jail on an old warrant."

I don't see why the reporter tries to connect the arrest warrant toTruax's action. He was arrested because he came in contact with the police, not because he ran off the robber.

Post imported post

When I was leaving Maryland to move out west, there was a big uproar about a woman who was a rape victim, who was arrested on outstanding warrants when she called the police to report it...

Some minority rights group (It was an illegal immigrant, IIRC, who had the warrants) raised bloody hell saying that the police 'shouldn't ask any questions' when someone reports a rape, because they're the victim.

Evangelical lessons are provided upon request. Anyone wishing to meet Jesus can just kick in my door.

Post imported post

Well, sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug....

Post imported post

I read this article a week or so ago. The original article reported the gun 'fell apart' when the would be robber dropped it.

What sort of gun falls apart when dropped on concrete?

I want this guy caught so we can find out the rest of the details.

As for the hero, in his own words, "It was about time I took care of it." Now he doesn't have to worry about it anymore. Like a boss of mine once said, "Bad news doesn't get better with time."
    I'm too old to take a beating, don't fight so well and my knees don't allow me to run. Do I carry a gun? Don't ask questions for which you don't want an answer.

Post imported post

OldManMontgomery wrote:

What sort of gun falls apart when dropped on concrete?

A crappy one.

Post imported post

Hcidem wrote:
    "...and for his trouble got thrown in jail on an old warrant."

I don't see why the reporter tries to connect the arrest warrant toTruax's action. He was arrested because he came in contact with the police, not because he ran off the robber.
    It's the usual lib-journalist crap; attempt to villanize anyone who dos'nt meekly submit to a attacker.

III
    "You can teach 'em, but you cant learn 'em."

Post imported post

Huck wrote:
    Hcidem wrote:
    I don't see why the reporter tries to connect the arrest warrant toTruax's action.
    It's the usual lib-journalist crap; attempt to villanize anyone who dos'nt meekly submit to a attacker.

III
    Got it in one!
    Why open carry? Because 1911 > 911.