Thread: Polishing your barrel

Post imported post

I want to polish up the barrel on my 1911 to give it a little more sparkle. Has anyone done this? What works best? Does anyone have pictures?

Post imported post

Brasso....Flitz...almost anything. You already know that unless it's stainless you'll have to keep it a bit more oiled than otherwise. I used a soad in white vinegar to remove the oxide/blackening from the barrel of my S&W before using the polish. It turned out do look more like titanium than anything else. Of course, I merely removed the coloring, I didn't go for an outright polish.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

And be ready to alter the bushing to compensate for the barrels reduced diameter.

Post imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
    Brasso....Flitz...almost anything. You already know that unless it's stainless you'll have to keep it a bit more oiled than otherwise. I used a soad in white vinegar to remove the oxide/blackening from the barrel of my S&W before using the polish. It turned out do look more like titanium than anything else. Of course, I merely removed the coloring, I didn't go for an outright polish.
    I don't mean polish as in remove corrosion, stains or whatever. I mean assuming my gun was brand new and the barrel was just a raw/dull finish. I want to polish it to a gloss finish so that it appears chrome LIKE in finish.

Founder's Club Member Hawkflyer's Avatar

Post imported post

I am glad this turned out to be a firearms related question.:what:

Doug is correct. You will have to be careful about the area where the bushing fits around the muzzle or you will be replacing an lapping a new bushing.

If it is a 1911 style you can just work the area around the breach that shows through the ejection port without causing too many potential difficulties, but remember anything you do can affect the fit on lockup.

Regards

"Research has shown that a 230 grain lead pellet placed just behind the ear at 850 FPS results in a permanent cure for violent criminal behavior."
    "If you are not getting Flak, you are not over the target"
    "186,000 Miles per second! ... Not just a good idea ... It's the law!"

Post imported post

Not a bad idea!
    My Taurus 1911 has the serial stamped on the barrel so it shows thru the breach. I'm not sure if I wanna take the jewelers polish and dremel to the barrel in that case, but I think it would look awesome!