• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Polishing your barrel

richarcm

imported post

I want to polish up the barrel on my 1911 to give it a little more sparkle. Has anyone done this? What works best? Does anyone have pictures?

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Brasso....Flitz...almost anything. You already know that unless it's stainless you'll have to keep it a bit more oiled than otherwise. I used a soad in white vinegar to remove the oxide/blackening from the barrel of my S&W before using the polish. It turned out do look more like titanium than anything else. Of course, I merely removed the coloring, I didn't go for an outright polish.

richarcm

imported post

Fallschirmjäger wrote:
Brasso....Flitz...almost anything. You already know that unless it's stainless you'll have to keep it a bit more oiled than otherwise. I used a soad in white vinegar to remove the oxide/blackening from the barrel of my S&W before using the polish. It turned out do look more like titanium than anything else. Of course, I merely removed the coloring, I didn't go for an outright polish.
I don't mean polish as in remove corrosion, stains or whatever. I mean assuming my gun was brand new and the barrel was just a raw/dull finish. I want to polish it to a gloss finish so that it appears chrome LIKE in finish.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am glad this turned out to be a firearms related question.:what:

Doug is correct. You will have to be careful about the area where the bushing fits around the muzzle or you will be replacing an lapping a new bushing.

If it is a 1911 style you can just work the area around the breach that shows through the ejection port without causing too many potential difficulties, but remember anything you do can affect the fit on lockup.

Regards

Evil Ernie

imported post

Not a bad idea!
My Taurus 1911 has the serial stamped on the barrel so it shows thru the breach. I'm not sure if I wanna take the jewelers polish and dremel to the barrel in that case, but I think it would look awesome!