• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Using Bathroom

jsmith89

imported post

Ok weird question.

I carry my Glock Model 30 in a fobus paddle holster on my right hip. My question is what am I supposed to do when I drop my pants to use the bathroom?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jsmith89 wrote:
Ok weird question.

I carry my Glock Model 30 in a fobus paddle holster on my right hip. My question is what am I supposed to do when I drop my pants to use the bathroom?
Simple - unholster if belt slide or complete hoster if paddle and lay it in your shorts/pants between your legs. Its hidden, convenient and you will not forget it. :D

Yata hey

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I carried Mexican - Chihuahua (X-draw) - style for some years and so faced a similar dilemma in that as soon as I loosened my belt then my H&K was gonna drop. I held my trousers and gun in place with my left hand while manipulating my belt and buttons with my right. Then lowered the trousers as I sat and put the gun in the crotch of my underwear. I never forgot my piece in the head.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

:lol: Ahh I love the questions about the actual "living with a carry".

Simple - unholster if belt slide or complete hoster if paddle and lay it in your shorts/pants between your legs.

Yup, that's my move as well. Makes for less of a chance you'll leave it on the tank or have someone notice. I use to lay the gun on the paper holder on the wall but sometimes the cracks of the door jam allow for the people outside to see in right at the particular spot. I figured I'd get the cops called on me some day because 'someone with a gun is in the stall!' :uhoh:

richarcm

imported post

I just left it hanging one day but attempted to jack everything up so as to not be too visible. When finishing up I realized that the guy using the stall next to me was a VA state trooper. :)

FogRider

imported post

I never use a urinal while carrying. It's difficult for me to imagine a situation that would leave me more vurnerable to a gun grab than while standing with my back to everything, my pants in one hand and *ahem* myself in the other. Even if I just need to take a leak I grab a stall. There's usually something there to set my piece down, or if nothing else I can get a worry free grip on my pants.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I use the beltloops on my Serpa CQC, so I just unholster (quietly if in public RR), stuff it in my armpit, drop trow, turn, sit, place piece in crotch of pants, and bombs away! If I'm in my home throne room I'll drop the mag, clear the chamber, and do a function check.
Jeez, I can't believe I just wrote my procedure for "armed and browncapping"...but hey, it's better than cop bashing or arguing over abortion!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I primarily carry in a Serpa CQC with paddle or a Minotaur IWB. If I have to drop trou I find that I can leave my sidearm holstered and by carefully adjusting things and sliding the holster forwards a bit as I loosen my belt, then using outward pressure of my knee, keep the sidearm holstered, the holster on the belt and at my knee. Makes using the TP a little more challenging keeping everything balanced, but it works for me.

The whole putting my sidearm in the crotch doesn't work too well with boxers as with most slacks it is a precarious balance to keep it from dropping down a pant leg. Keeping it holstered, I don't have that issue.

Shorts

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
I primarily carry in a Serpa CQC with paddle or a Minotaur IWB. If I have to drop trou I find that I can leave my sidearm holstered and by carefully adjusting things and sliding the holster forwards a bit as I loosen my belt, then using outward pressure of my knee, keep the sidearm holstered, the holster on the belt and at my knee. Makes using the TP a little more challenging keeping everything balanced, but it works for me.

The whole putting my sidearm in the crotch doesn't work too well with boxers as with most slacks it is a precarious balance to keep it from dropping down a pant leg. Keeping it holstered, I don't have that issue.
Goes for thongs too :uhoh:

Wearing an IWB, it doesn't matter as the gun can stay put in the holster and not be seen or dropped. The OWB however, I try to go to the stall on the end so that the holster is only visible to the wall on the strong side.

WCrawford

imported post

jsmith89 wrote:
Ok weird question.

Ok, I have the exact same setup.

As long as I'm wearing a belt there is enough thickness of material and leather to hold the holster on the pants when I do my business.

In a public restroom, I make sure to keep the holster above the bottom of the stall wall, so noone can attempt to grab it.

40s-and-wfan

imported post

FogRider wrote:
I never use a urinal while carrying. It's difficult for me to imagine a situation that would leave me more vurnerable to a gun grab than while standing with my back to everything, my pants in one hand and *ahem* myself in the other. Even if I just need to take a leak I grab a stall. There's usually something there to set my piece down, or if nothing else I can get a worry free grip on my pants.
I couldn't agree more with FogRider. Urinals are never a safe place, if you're carrying concealed or open! Stalls are the best bet and are safer!

PoppaGary

imported post

+1 on avoiding urinals, esp when traveling.

Can't remember where I saw it (probably a young men's mag, but it doesn't matter), but I read an article on traveling, aimed at young men, many of whom these days don't really have a good father figure to point those things out. That was one of many good tips.

Another that I use is whenin a stall avoid sitting with your legs way out in front of you. Apparently it is a typical BG strategy to reach under, grab a person by the ankles and pull them off the throne. Pretty much leaves you defenseless and at their mercy :shock:...unless of course you are carrying...:D

As far as the topic....if standing, my suspenders keep things up and when I drop them, lay the gun, (usually the whole holster as well) on top of my pants.

Gary

nova

imported post

Shorts wrote:
:lol: Ahh I love the questions about the actual "living with a carry".

Simple - unholster if belt slide or complete hoster if paddle and lay it in your shorts/pants between your legs.

Yup, that's my move as well. Makes for less of a chance you'll leave it on the tank or have someone notice. I use to lay the gun on the paper holder on the wall but sometimes the cracks of the door jam allow for the people outside to see in right at the particular spot. I figured I'd get the cops called on me some day because 'someone with a gun is in the stall!' :uhoh:
I do the same.

YllwFvr

imported post

wow... you know I've never thought of it before but in all my carrying Ive only had to use a public restroom to, er, sit. Ive never had to use a urinal. But you know I bet if no one was in itI wouldhave used one then if someone came in I'd be saying "D'oh!" in my head. At home when I carry clear it and place it by the sink.

Interesting and VERY appreciated thread. Kudos to OP.

jeeper1

imported post

I have seen this question on several different forums.
I am surprised no one ever said just buckle the belt again and hang the belt over your knees with the firearm still in the holster. If necessary twist it around so the holster is resting on your knees.

Barnett3006

imported post

Because I live in FL I have to CC. I CC in an IWB with no retention strap, so....If I gotta "sit" in a public restroom I unholster, click the safety on and drop my carry piece in my front pocket and proceed as normal. When done, pull pants back up, draw from pocket, click safety off and reholster.

I don't unbuckle my belt if I only have to make a golden fountain, just unzip my fly...that way I'm not fumbleing with 2 guns at once :lol:

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking about this particular post since I've been doing a lot of running around town lately! Sometimes when 'Nature' calls I'm far enough away from home that I can't run back there to use the John.

Whenever it comes time for me to use the restroom in public, whether it was during my Law Enforcement days or still during the current Civilian times I have always been prone to removing my pistol from it's holster and setting it someplace out of site while doing my 'duty!' I have always taken to setting it up on something high and out of site, rather than in the crotch of my pants. I end up setting it on something like the toilet paper dispenser or the back of the toilet! When walking into a public restroom with stalls in it in a police uniform, people always tended to have this overwhelming urge to look under the stall-walls to see who the cop was. I don't want them to be able to reach my (duty) gun before I can get to it! I figure if it's out of reach to them, then it's better for me!

Just me thinking out loud!!

MikeV

imported post

I carry IWB at roughly 4:00 position. What I do is roll the waistband of my drqwers over the top and with that bit of Camoflage and the fact that its is roughly behind my right leg it is properly hidden from view. When done I ensure that both the stall on my right and the area directly ifront of the door is clear before I get "dressed". Up to this point I have not had to sit anyone out yet.

MikeV