• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Using Bathroom

ace1001

imported post

After hearing where you guys lay your guns, it makes me wonder where my used ones have been. How about between the pants and leg on the OUTSIDE. NOT IN THE CROTCH! If you wear boots it is just like a holster. Ace

dac844

imported post

when i was in the navy, i had a duty belt, with cuffs, two extra mags, a knife ASP, and spray. When i had to use the ole' head, it was all on a second belt. I took the whole belt off and hung it on the backside of the door, completely out of sit until i get done with my deed.

of course it was a drop holster, so there really wasn't any other choice, and the whole belt is right in front of you, so if you wanted to make sure everything on the belt was still good to go, it was just right there.

Legba

imported post

I had a pistol pitch out of my holster once while using the bathroom. Not good. I had the safety engaged so nothing came of it, but I now unholster the gun and place it on the toilet as a precaution.

-ljp

reconvic

imported post

Sort of a funny but good question and answers. Me I was trained to put under my armpit of my weak hand as I go, so if the door gets somehow yanked open I am in a ready condition, plus no-one can see nothing, yet I seen many a good answers.
S/F Vic

GirlsWithGuns

imported post

I don't think IDPA allows that much hard cover anymore! ;-) Us women face that situation any time we use public facilities. The crotch of the pants usually makes a good temporary resting place for most guns when the need arises.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

My pocket gun just stays in my pocket, though I am careful about how I go about dropping my pants to make sure pockets stay upright.

I have a very sturdy gun belt and have found that most of the time, leaving the gun in the holster works out fine. Retention holster for OC means it isn't going anywhere. IWB offers its own security.

Charles

WheelGun

imported post

I always wear over the ankle boots. Usually military boots (8 inch). I loosen the top few inches of boot lace and stickmy snubbie in there while taking care of other business.

Or, always know where there is a one-seater available. Fewer security issues there.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well for one, you would never catch me going numero 2 in a public restroom.

For a simple leak, I just keep the top button buttoned, zip down the fly, and take care of business. Leaving the top button closed, holster is unaffected.

GirlsWithGuns

imported post

For a simple leak, I just keep the top button buttoned, zip down the fly, and take care of business. Leaving the top button closed, holster is unaffected.

Fine for you guys, but us girls...well we are equipped differently!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

GirlsWithGuns wrote:

Pretty much the only option women have to resolve the restroom issues is to use a shoulder holster rig. But, I guess it depends on if you're wearing jeans or a dress.

W5DVC

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
GirlsWithGuns wrote:

Pretty much the only option women have to resolve the restroom issues is to use a shoulder holster rig. But, I guess it depends on if you're wearing jeans or a dress.
Well it was bound to happen sooner or later , I was using the facilities in a local grocery store , and in comes 2 convicted felons , and they are having a rather animated conversation , which I can over hear , all of a sudden ....one of them says look at that .........what he saw were the two spare magazines in the pouch on my belt which they could see under the stall..........WELL AS YOU CAN IMAGINE ......IT GOT REAL QUIET FOR A FEW SECONDS........ THEN WHEN I STARTED TO GET UP ............... THEY LEFT OUT OF THERE LIKE A HOUSE AFIRE AND THEY WAS STILL INSIDE. Upon exiting the restroom I stopped to talk with the store manager and also talked to the Beaumont Police Dept. about what I had overheard . WHAT I CAN'T IMAGINE IS WHY THOSE TWO MEN RAN OFF THE WAY THEY DID , IMAGINE , THEY DIDN'T EVEN STICK AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO SAY HELLO :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

SpringerXDacp

imported post

W5DVC wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
GirlsWithGuns wrote:

Well it was bound to happen sooner or later , I was using the facilities in a local grocery store , and in comes 2 convicted felons , and they are having a rather animated conversation , which I can over hear , all of a sudden ....one of them says look at that .........what he saw were the two spare magazines in the pouch on my belt which they could see under the stall..........WELL AS YOU CAN IMAGINE ......IT GOT REAL QUIET FOR A FEW SECONDS........ THEN WHEN I STARTED TO GET UP ............... THEY LEFT OUT OF THERE LIKE A HOUSE AFIRE AND THEY WAS STILL INSIDE. Upon exiting the restroom I stopped to talk with the store manager and also talked to the Beaumont Police Dept. about what I had overheard . WHAT I CAN'T IMAGINE IS WHY THOSE TWO MEN RAN OFF THE WAY THEY DID , IMAGINE , THEY DIDN'T EVEN STICK AROUND LONG ENOUGH TO SAY HELLO :celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
LMAO Its been said here countless times that criminals prefer softer targets. Even with your pants down they preferred to run then face a possible confontation with you. :lol:

sarcastyx

imported post

I wasn't sure where to post this so I figured I'd start anew. I'm not exactly new to this forum, but I read a lot more than I write.
So on to it...

I generally carry a Walther P99, in a BlackHawk pancake holster. Now as a general rule of thumb I try to avoid public restrooms if at all possible. But today I had no choice. I got to the stall at Target, and it occurred to me... "What the hell am I going to do with my gun?". Couldn't just leave it on my belt, it would end up on the floor, then of course there are other "comfort" considerations to take into account.

Anyway, I made do, but I thought I would open it to discussion, more so for fun than anything else.. So, what do you do with it?

Thanks for reading
-Steve

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I wll share with you what an old academy instructor taught me as part of my SPS training (secret police shht) :)

1) Always take the handicapped stall. Much more room to move around and the doors usually open outward.

2) When you "sit" put your gun in your drawers.

You'll never forget it, and its always close by, within reach.

Take that for whatever its worth.....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Public restrooms are a touchy subject?

Absolutely no touching!!!!!

Senator Larry Craig can 'splain that to anyone who has any questions.

:)

45acpForMe

imported post

I asked the same question a while back. Here is a link to another thread that they pointed me to. 45acpForMe wrote:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum62/20136.html

Ok here is a question I would prefer to post anonymously. :)

While OC-ing what are your suggestions for public restroom visits? When I was mainly CC-ing my guns fit inside my pockets so there wasn't an issue, but if you have a holster attached to your belt and have to drop your drawers, where do you put your gun? I have a mental image of me holding a gun in one hand and TP in the other. :lol:

I don't want my piece laying on the floor in view/reach of nearby users or getting dirty/wet. Mainly I have simply avoided public restrooms even under intense pressure. :shock:

Anyone willing to share a story?

sarcastyx

imported post

lol, sorry it didn't even occur to me to look and see if anyone else would talk about it. Next time I'll search first and ask questions late.

Yeah the holster in the drawers was where it ended up. Had to take the whole holster off, even without the gun it keep pulling my belt off. Maybe I should wear my belt backwards.

Dreamer

imported post

So all you guys who are saying that you put your gun in the crotch of your drawers, I'm assuming you're wearing "tighty whiteys"...

What's a fellow to do if he wears boxers, and not briefs. If I put my pistol inside my boxers, it would just drop through the leg, down my pants...No good...

I rarely go #2 when I'm out and about, but sometimes, that Super-Deluxe 3-bean burrito you had for lunch just KICKS IN while you're walking in the mall, or right in the middle of Lowes, and you just HAVE to use the immediate facilites.

This is actually one of the main reasons I use retentions holsters whether I OC or CC. A retention holster won't let your gun hit the floor if it gets tipped over or bumped or something.

And it seems that the bottoms of the stall dividers are getting higher and higher every day--I remember when I was younger, the bottoms of the dividers were just a few inches off the floor (high enough to get a mop under, but not high enough to crawl under in most cases). The stall dividers in my local WalMart and Lowes look almost high enough to drive a Lamborghini underneath. So you've got to keep your belt and holster pretty high--you can't just "drop trou" when you "take your seat". And anyway, who wants to have their pants bunched up on the FLOOR of a public restroom anyway. Eeeeeewwwww!

Here's my drill. I usually try and get the "handicapped stalll", as enumerated by several other posts, for th esame reasons. It's larger, has more room to maneuver, and it's harder for people to see your legs (and what's on your belt) because of the optical angles presented by having a larger stall with a seating position that is further away from the door and dividers.

When I take down my pants and drawers, I keep a hold of them, an only let them down to about mid-thigh, and as I sit, I'll shift my holster so that it sits on top of my right thigh. If it's my CC IWB Galco thum-snap, the friction of the suede and my pants will keep it in place. If it's my OC Serpa, I may have to keep my right hand on it, because of the way the weight distribution is, and the fact that I wear it at 3:30, but then am pulling it to about 12:30 to sit.

Finish my business, and then when I stand up, be sure to bring up the pants and drawers in a controlled manner so as not to catch or snag the holster on my clothes.

It sounds complicated, but after a dozen or so "practice evolutions" in the privacy of my own home john, I've got it down to where it's not any more complicated than using the john would be when wearing an expensive cellphone on a belt holster (which, as an iPhone owner, I've been doing for several years, and believe me, you DON'T want to drop one of those in a public RR either--if it doesn't break, it will very likely get snatched!)

This is one of the "silly little things" about carrying a firearm that isn't a "silly little thing" at all. I think it is a VERY good idea to discuss practical, procedural issues like this, because it's not something you're going to know intuitively, and it's DEFINITELY not something they're going to teach you in an NRA safety course or your CC certification class...

Would controlling your firearm and drawers while using a public rest room fall under the "well regulated" part of the 2A? :lol:

I'm just sayin'... ;)

bomber

imported post

Loneviking wrote:
nh92d wrote:
when it does come to the time that i need a public restroom(which isn't to often,if i can help it) i normally luck out and have the chance to use a handicap stall which for the most part has either a folddownbaby changing table or a nice wide TP dispenser to place my gun safely on.out of sight from prying eyes and no chance for gun grabbing(unless they really want to enter the stall..)
Dang right. I also know which bathrooms in which stores are clean, and which ones are single use only with baby tables. Those are the ones you want to use if at all possible. And when using a urinal, always go for the end one as you have a wall you can immedietly put your back to while drawing your weapon if the need arises.
you guys do know that these stalls are for the handicapped and for those with children. i can't tell you how difficult it is to try to change a diaper when the stall with the changing table is being used by some guy who enjoys a spacious sh*#^er. Try to remember that the next time you claim the facilities that are meant for those who need them.

okboomer

imported post

I've been thinking lately that a small drop down/prop up shelf mounted to the back of the door would be very convenient for placing a gun or clutch purse as balancing it on the TP holder or the back of the unit is not practical in all facilities.

Perhaps an online Open Letter to Merchants would be effective?

Personally, I carry at the 4:30 position and I wear jeans most of the time. Isimply fold the end of the belt back through the first loop and this secures the belt and holster position, drop and snug holster in bend of leg. If I am wearing anything else, I secure my 9mm in the vehicle and pocket the Beretta Bobcat in my jacket. I get away with a jacket even in the summer because I freeze in temps that other's are comfortable with, so I always have something with pockets with me.

cheers ~~ okboomer