• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Show

w07rolla

imported post

This weekend there is a gun show going on at the Fair and Expo center. I am not sure what time it is, but I was wondering if anyone was planning on attending?

Josh

If anyone know what time it starts and end, please let me know. Thanks.

neddis

imported post

Is it going to be a good? I may make the journey up there, but I just want to make sure that it is going to be worth the 2.5 hours in the car. :)

I haven't been to a show since the election, but are most people holding on to what they have or is there a decent amount of stuff at the shows?

David.Car

imported post

neddis wrote:
Is it going to be a good? I may make the journey up there, but I just want to make sure that it is going to be worth the 2.5 hours in the car. :)

I haven't been to a show since the election, but are most people holding on to what they have or is there a decent amount of stuff at the shows?
This is going to be the last one until April.

There is always a fairly large amount there, but it really depends on what you are looking for. Always a large amount of older rifles, or lever actions. There is a decent amount of handguns, but nothing crazy.

There are always the odds/ends dealers, like the WWII memorabelia guys, coins, BBQ stuff,things like that. Many times the Spokane show has an antique type show off the side of it, not sure if that is going to be there this time or not.

If you are looking for AR type stuff, it probably isn't going to be worth the trip(based off the Dec show). Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of anything in stock for the evil black rifles yet.

If you are looking for ammo, the prices at the Spokane show are not usually all that good. You can beat the majority of the prices just by going to your local wally world.

Overall it always seems to be a show that is fun to walk around at, but good deals are a little hard to come by. You can beat or match most of the dealers at the show at your local shops, and you can beat almost all of them if you are okay with doing online gun purchases, but there are some privatetables that show up that canhave some good prices.

fetch

imported post

w07rolla,
I would like to have had an OC information table at the show, but we did not get enough people to volunteer for the weekend. I will be at the show around noon on Saturday.

neddis, the gun shows up to April,
Boise, ID Jan. 10,11
Idaho Falls, ID. Jan. 24,25
Twin Falls, ID Feb 14,15
Pocatello, ID. Mar. 7,8
Lewiston, ID. Mar. 14,15
Spokane, WA. April 3,4,5.

I hope we can get a OC table (with enough people to man it) at the April show.

w07rolla

imported post

fetch wrote:
w07rolla,
I would like to have had an OC information table at the show, but we did not get enough people to volunteer for the weekend. I will be at the show around noon on Saturday.

neddis, the gun shows up to April,
Boise, ID             Jan. 10,11
Idaho Falls, ID.   Jan.  24,25
Twin Falls, ID      Feb 14,15
Pocatello, ID.      Mar. 7,8
Lewiston, ID.      Mar. 14,15
Spokane, WA.     April 3,4,5.

I hope we can get a OC table (with enough people to man it) at the April show.

Fetch,

You are going to have a table at the show this weekend? I have to go to the mountain for some snowboard training to work with disabled ppl, but I would like to try to make the show afterwards...depending on how late the show runs. I would be happy to help man the OC table in april (I dont think I am on spring break yet). Can you OC at this event? If not loaded, can we without a clip? Just to help get our point across.

Josh

neddis

imported post

Ok, I did make the drive for the show. It was alright. I picked up an Osprey scope for my .308 Saiga. I know they are Chinese manufactured, but I thought I'd try one out. Also managed to talk the guy into sending me a side rail mount too. :)

I realized that I need to get an OCDO shirt or hat to wear to the shows so we can say hi to each other. Sadly, I won't be able to make the April show, otherwise I would have liked to sit at the table.

BobR

imported post

I was at the show yesterday.

From what I saw, the vendors won't have to wait for Obama to put them out of business, they are headed that way on their own with their inflated prices.

There were some people there that were very proud of their guns. Even prouder of their hi-cap mags.

bob

David.Car

imported post

Yeah not a whole lot there interested me this time. The very first row I went down I saw a stock DPMS M4gery for 1300 (about 500 over priced) and than a very well used 20in Colt AR for 1800. At that point I knew the show was going to be pretty bad.

Did anyone stop by and check out the Hero Water table though?

Those flavored pouches that filter water are freaking awesome. The orange one tasted a lot like tang. Watched him toss one into a bucket of nasty dirty water, than pull out a full pouch of clean orange tint water, poured it into a cup and give it out.

The guy said he was making a deal with mountain gear and they would be selling the stuff soon. Will definitly be picking some up for when I go hiking. At just a couple ounces you could carry 10 of these pouches for the same weight as one large water bottle. Just throw them into any water source (lake, creek, snow run off) and you are good.

http://www.herowater.com/hydropack.html

Edit: Guy said the military had been using them for quite a while but was just now hitting public market. Anyone know if that is true or not?

Double Edit: The life packs were demonstrated as well and also looked like great survival tools. Like a camel pack that filters 9L of water.

fetch

imported post

I was there from about noon until 2:30 Sat. Being the second show in two months, I thought it busy. It is an "off season" show, fewer tables. The whole point for us is to have a opportunity to educate about OC. At least the NRA guy was handing out the OC pamphlets. I saw a little old lady with one.

BobR

imported post

At least the NRA guy was handing out the OC pamphlets.

It was busy for being this time of year, not only with vendors but customers.

I noticed the NRA table only had a "table copy" of the pamphlet, so I went out to my car and gave him all I had for his table. There was probably 15 or so.

I think we will need another run of these soon. I will need about 600 for the Friends of the NRA banquet, and then we will need a bunch for the April gun show.

bob

BobR

imported post

How does the gun show deal with the OC. Do they zip tie your gun?

If they do, do you unload it at the table...just wondering.

bob

neddis

imported post

They do zip tie it.

just make sure the mag +1 is in your pocket when you get to the door. It goes something like this:

Guy at door: Is your glock unloaded?
Me: <sigh> (thinking: not again...) it's a Springfield XD and yes, sir, it is.
Guy at door: make sure you check it at the table.
Me: ok.

proceed to table for zip tie.

In all honesty, the zip tie is flimsy and would be easy to break with a vigorous racking of the slide. It does bug me that the idiocy of people has caused us to have to unload at a freakin gun show. There have been lots of stories of people at tables looking down the business end of a loaded gun because some moron is unholstering it. sigh.

edit: spelling

fetch

imported post

Yes, we can complain about having to unload and have the guns zip tied, but all it would take is one round going off (from anybody vendor or visitor)and we could kiss any gun show good by.

neddis, I think I may have walked right by you.

Thanks Bobr for getting some more pamphlets.

David.Car

imported post

Yeah, always make sure to unload at your vehicle, I also just place my mag in my back pocket.

As to the zip tieing of it. Last show he ran the tie through the barrel, the way it should be done.

This show, he did something incredibly foolish. He put the zip tie through the trigger guard in front of the trigger and around the back of the grip... The problem was that he didn't due this with the trigger in the full rear position. I could still pull the trigger, rack the slide, use all the pistols function... The zip tie was basically just there for show at that point.

Crappy MSPaint example included.

surfj9009

imported post

I know the guy named Ryan who was there selling the Hero water. He is a good honest guy, I am not sure if I can get a deal from him though. We lost touch a few years back until I ran into him at the last show.

Those thins would be handy to have in a survival pack though. I bought several of them to pack around in my Jeep when i go out wheeling, just in case of an emergency.

neddis

imported post

fetch wrote:
Yes, we can complain about having to unload and have the guns zip tied, but all it would take is one round going off (from anybody vendor or visitor)and we could kiss any gun show good by.

neddis, I think I may have walked right by you.

Thanks Bobr for getting some more pamphlets.
Don't get me wrong. I totally understand the reason for unloading and zip tieing... I even do it without resentment. It just stems from dumb people. That is what I am complaining about. :) Only reason to unholster a loaded weapon at a gun show is if a life is in danger... and I think that a gun show is one of the safer places a person could be.

Oh yeah, and that seems like a dumb way to zip tie a gun. Why not run it through the barrel, as is standard practice? Am I missing something? The put my zip tie through the barrel.