Thread: Phoenix Children's Museum

Post imported post

Anyone know if it is posted? More planning to CC than OC, but I can't find any info either way on their site.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Post imported post

I'll answer my own question for anyone in the future who might want to know.

No sign on the door, but a rather small one at one end of the register counter prohibiting "weapons" along with gum and a few other things.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" - George Washington
    "Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - Mahatma Gandhi

As always, insert standard IANAL disclaimer here.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Who owns this museum? If it is municapality owned I believe a 2006 or 2007 law requires that they providea place to secure your weaponry, otherwise no ban can be enforced. Some of the AZ'ers here can likely provide the statute.

Post imported post

Try Arizonatitle 13 criminal code under chapter 31 Weapons and explosives. Statute 13-3102.01 storage of deadly weapons; definitionssection A-D. Hope this helps.

Post imported post

Reading their website, it says that the building was purchased with a $10M bond by the city of Phoenix, so I'm leaning towards it is a 'public establishment', but it is not completely clear. I would call them and ask if they recieve funding from, or are part of the city of phoenix, or a private museum.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Was just there with the family after xmas and CC'ed the whole time. OC'e all down town Phoenix after riding the new light rail. OC'ed on the rail to.

The entrance is marked with a "no guns or knives" sticker

Visited today (Sun June 9). There is a four inch square sticker on the entrance, to the left of the door, with the symbol for a handgun and knife with a red circle and a slash through them. Not sure if this exactly meets the AZ statute guidelines, but clear the Museum's intent was to inform visitors they didn't want handguns or knives inside. Chose not to CC.

Re: Phoenix Children's Museum

That sucks! We have some of the best gun laws, but it doesn't matter if the state is going to let cities get away with basically flipping off preemption law. See Tucson gun related ordinances.
    http://emptymags.com/politics/tucson...good-gun-laws/
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Whlaw requires that they providea place to secure your weaponry, otherwise no ban can be enforced.
    No such provision exists. The law is ARS 13.3012.01. If the government agency fails to comply with the storage requirement that does not let you off the hook for disobeying the "no firearms" sign.

We (AzCDL) have been trying to correct that for years but between the governor's vetoes of the bills we get to her desk and the current epidemic of cowardice in the Legislature, it's been an uphill battle.

It's one of our top priorities.

Fred

I just spoke with a customer service rep at Valley Metro (602 253-5000) and was told that firearms are allowed on their light rail and bus systems.
    Both systems conform to state firearms laws.

-MH
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

Re: Phoenix Children's Museum

Quote Originally Posted by March Hare View Post
    I just spoke with a customer service rep at Valley Metro (602 253-5000) and was told that firearms are allowed on their light rail and bus systems.
    Both systems conform to state firearms laws.

-MH
    That's great news! I have been told by a user of both that they have seen no weapon stickers posted. I will call and ask them if they can provide a online link to their policies. Maybe it's just employess putting up stickers to ward off law-abiding carriers? Maybe they got confused about past policy? Whatever the case, thanks March Hare for digging into this and I am happy to know that if I ever want to take a bus or train ride on valley metro I can do so while maintaining the ability to protect myself and my family. Made edit to prior post to reflect actual policy. My bad for taking someones word for it.
    Link to rider rules:
    http://www.valleymetro.org/getting_o...duct_etiquette
    Last edited by FreeInAZ; 06-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" by Mahatma Gandhi

“Your beliefs become your thoughts. Your thoughts become your words. Your words become your actions. Your actions become your habits. Your habits become your values. Your values become your destiny.” by Mahatma Gandhi