• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Phoenix Children's Museum

eBratt

imported post

I'll answer my own question for anyone in the future who might want to know.

No sign on the door, but a rather small one at one end of the register counter prohibiting "weapons" along with gum and a few other things.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Who owns this museum? If it is municapality owned I believe a 2006 or 2007 law requires that they providea place to secure your weaponry, otherwise no ban can be enforced. Some of the AZ'ers here can likely provide the statute.

badbass

imported post

Try Arizonatitle 13 criminal code under chapter 31 Weapons and explosives. Statute 13-3102.01 storage of deadly weapons; definitionssection A-D. Hope this helps.

AZkopper

imported post

Reading their website, it says that the building was purchased with a $10M bond by the city of Phoenix, so I'm leaning towards it is a 'public establishment', but it is not completely clear. I would call them and ask if they recieve funding from, or are part of the city of phoenix, or a private museum.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Was just there with the family after xmas and CC'ed the whole time. OC'e all down town Phoenix after riding the new light rail. OC'ed on the rail to.

sauronsix

The entrance is marked with a "no guns or knives" sticker

Visited today (Sun June 9). There is a four inch square sticker on the entrance, to the left of the door, with the symbol for a handgun and knife with a red circle and a slash through them. Not sure if this exactly meets the AZ statute guidelines, but clear the Museum's intent was to inform visitors they didn't want handguns or knives inside. Chose not to CC.

azcdlfred

Whlaw requires that they providea place to secure your weaponry, otherwise no ban can be enforced.
No such provision exists. The law is ARS 13.3012.01. If the government agency fails to comply with the storage requirement that does not let you off the hook for disobeying the "no firearms" sign.

We (AzCDL) have been trying to correct that for years but between the governor's vetoes of the bills we get to her desk and the current epidemic of cowardice in the Legislature, it's been an uphill battle.

It's one of our top priorities.

Fred

March Hare

I just spoke with a customer service rep at Valley Metro (602 253-5000) and was told that firearms are allowed on their light rail and bus systems.
Both systems conform to state firearms laws.

-MH

FreeInAZ

I just spoke with a customer service rep at Valley Metro (602 253-5000) and was told that firearms are allowed on their light rail and bus systems.
Both systems conform to state firearms laws.

-MH

That's great news! I have been told by a user of both that they have seen no weapon stickers posted. I will call and ask them if they can provide a online link to their policies. Maybe it's just employess putting up stickers to ward off law-abiding carriers? Maybe they got confused about past policy? Whatever the case, thanks March Hare for digging into this and I am happy to know that if I ever want to take a bus or train ride on valley metro I can do so while maintaining the ability to protect myself and my family. :) Made edit to prior post to reflect actual policy. My bad for taking someones word for it. ;)
Link to rider rules:
http://www.valleymetro.org/getting_on_board/conduct_etiquette

Last edited: