• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Young OC'er with questions

eardoc

imported post

Hey everyone. I have been reading this site nearly every day for the past 4 months or so, and have a been gun owner for a little over 6 months. I fully support the open carry movement and am inclined to do so myself but I have a few reservations that I'd like to get some feedback on before I go out oc'ing.

My primary concern is this: I am only 22 years old. While some people my age can pass for 26-28 years old, I can not. In nearly every OC encounter I read on this site and others, the carrier is asked "are you a LEO?" An understandable question, although silly for sure. Of course I can't be in the minds of others, but if I were working in a store and someone who looked like me walked in with a glock 23 in a serpa holster, I wouldn't assume they were law enforcement. It seems very likely to me that I would almost be guaranteed an increased level of suspicion and harassment because most of the general public would not shrug me off as a simple case of an off-duty leo but rather a gun-toting kid who is about to start something.

Now I'm sure some on here would press me to embrace my rights and carry openly. Yes, it would certainly provide me with ample opportunities to educate the public on the issue of open carry. But at what cost? Though all members on this forum encourage the advancement of the cause through education and calm conversation, we all have places to go and people to see! I am not going to open carry if it means a 5 minute stop turns into a 60 minute stop with any kind of regularity.

I would love to enjoy the freedom of OC but am concerned with theunfortunate likelihoodof public "panic" should they see a man of my age in their store with a sidearm. For now I'll stick to CC but I would love to get some of your thoughts on the issue. Thanks.

compmanio365

imported post

I am a 23 year old guy, but I'm also 240 and "shaggy". I don't think I look anything like a cop, and I OC all the time. I usually get nothing more than a glance or two. I think you have very little to worry about, honestly. The best tool I've found is the pamphlets that have been created about OC. I keep several of these on me, and I find they do a better job than I can explaining about the laws and such regarding OC. There is a post somewhere on the forum here that has them attached in PDF format, so they are easy to download and print. But honestly, once you start OCing, you'll be surprised how many people DON'T know you're even carrying. Once you've been doing it for a while, you'll get comfortable with it, and that's the most important thing. If you think you are 100% OK with what you are doing, then others pick up on that body language and assume you are OK too.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

eardoc wrote:
I am not going to open carry if it means a 5 minute stop turns into a 60 minute stop with any kind of regularity.

I would love to enjoy the freedom of OC but am concerned with theunfortunate likelihoodof public "panic" should they see a man of my age in their store with a sidearm. For now I'll stick to CC but I would love to get some of your thoughts on the issue. Thanks.
1. You won't be able to make this determination until you've actually been detained for OC with any kind of regularity. This is very unlikely in the first place, but I can guarantee it won't happen if you never try it.

2. I understand your fear; many potential OC'ers, including myself react this way initially, but you're confidence will grow very quickly after your first successful OC excursion. The sky won't fall, the cities won't riot, and the mall ninja's will probably not tackle you (though I can't guarantee the last one :p).

Here is the pamphlet compmanio365 is referring to: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/7906.html

ETA: If you'd feel more comfortable OC'ing with a group of people you should look at attending one of the OC brunches this Sunday (the 4th). You can OC yourself, or not, either way it will give you a great opportunity to see the general lack of excitement first hand.

just_a_car

imported post

One of the best ways to build your confidence in OC'ing is to attend one of our monthly lunch/dinner get-togethers to chat and OC with other folks from the forum. Normally they're on the third Saturday or Sunday of the month.

Derka

imported post

David.Car wrote:
compmanio365 wrote:
I am a 23 year old guy
Same here, been OC everywhere except for work for at least 7 months. No problems.
Myself and my best friend are 23 as well. We both OC. Only once have I had police called on me and it was more of a polite meet and greet than anything. Took about 10 minutes.

cynicist

imported post

I'm 23, shaved head, in an area where a lot on not-so-wholesome people also have shaved heads, especially males in their young 20's.

I'd say learn about the law, print some out and carry them in you jacket, and eventually, you'll have fun with it, and if you don't, at least your friends with think you're a badass.

ScorpioMk

imported post

I turned 22 in November, I honestly haven't OC'd in a long time because of the weather but when I was OC'ing on a semi regular basis I only had good experiences and friendly questions. Like someone else said try and make a meet, it helps to have others around so you dont feel like all the attention is directed at just you.

Granum

imported post

I am also 23. I have had no problems but I look a little older due to I let my face stay just a little scruffy. (Helps inmates not feel like a young kid isn't bossing them around) and from my experiences most people wont notice and if they do by acting confident like its not even on your hip instead of nervees you also shouldn't have a problem.

If there is any question of age and its a LEO encounter and don't have time to argue just show your ID to verify age. (you don't have to give them your ID though.)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

cynicist wrote:
I'm 23, shaved head, in an area where a lot on not-so-wholesome people also have shaved heads, especially males in their young 20's.

I'd say learn about the law, print some out and carry them in you jacket, and eventually, you'll have fun with it, and if you don't, at least your friends with think you're a badass.
If you are gonna carry a gun just so, or partly so your friends think you are "bad" then please don't bother.

eardoc

imported post

Ok. Ok. I appreciate all of your comments that relate to my original question. It is great to hear that there are others out there, around my age, that haven't had negative experiences like I was concerned about. I agree that the best thing for me to do is to print out some pamphlets, strap on, and head out! I've learned the laws, and I feel that I could adequately articulate appropriate laws when needed, but it would be great to carry the pamphlet for those that would rather read than talk. Meeting for lunch would be nice, but my schedule would make that fairly difficult. I would however be able to meet up at Plantation Range in Bellingham to put some rounds down range.

Any other stories/experiences that you other younger OC'ers have you be enjoyable to read. Thanks for all the input!

Sea_Chicken

imported post

I am also 23 and oc on a regular basis and it is amazing how many people dont notice depending on what you wear. I cant wait to get back to Wa in march/april and start attending some of the lunches, we get pretty good turnouts over hear in Va.

shad0wfax

imported post

You might be slightly apprehensive the first time you OC but the more often you OC the more natural it will feel. If you walk around OC'ing and are behaving in public just like any respectable law-abidingperson would be if they didn't have a firearm, you'll probably just get a few widened eyes and maybe a curious question or two. It's just the same as CC really. The first time you do it, you're a bit nervous, but over time you become more confident.

I'm at the point where I feel naked if I don't have my firearm; It's like leaving the house without my keys or cell-phone.

amlevin

imported post

cynicist wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------at least your friends with think you're a badass.
You've just described the majority of the Police Officers in the US today. And unfortunately your last sentence describes their situation too.

Cougar125

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
Strange most cops I see do not match that profile.

Same. I see many with military styled haircuts, etc., but rarely one that looks young-mid 20's with a clean shaven head.

amlevin

imported post

Cougar125 wrote:
sv_libertarian wrote:
Strange most cops I see do not match that profile.

Same. I see many with military styled haircuts, etc., but rarely one that looks young-mid 20's with a clean shaven head.

Your're right. Lots of them are in their 40's with shaved heads.

I see them at least twice a week at the range as well as on the street. When I lived in Colorado, the Denver PD couldn't come up with enough hair to make a false mustache.