• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Conceal Carry Under 21

jsmith89

imported post

Right now I open carry because I am not 21 therefore cannot get a CCP. My question is if I were to get a CCP from another state where the age is 18 and has reciprocity with NC for example NH would it be legal for me to CC in NC?

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

it's a moot point to ask, because New Hampshire isn't going to issue you a CCH permit.

it isn't that simple, where you can just hop in the car and drive over there real quick and pick up a handgun license and then bounce.

there are requirements, just like everywhere else. you have to be a resident, and you have to have proven residency for X amount of time. the Sheriff's Department checks this, of course. you have to have a certification from that state that shows you have completed the necessary classroom course and shooting range requirements. you have to have proper valid identification, drivers license or ID card, issued from that state, which of course originates from actually being a resident there. you cant even submit an application for a CCH permit without the proper ID. and even if you could, you couldn't legally carry without having a license or ID that matches the CCH permit information (address, age, etc.) because of lack of residency, there are several other requirements that you wouldn't meet as a result. for more information visit the state's website http://www.nh.gov/

have a nice day.

jsmith89

imported post

BRobb19 wrote:
it's a moot point to ask, because New Hampshire isn't going to issue you a CCH permit.

it isn't that simple, where you can just hop in the car and drive over there real quick and pick up a handgun license and then bounce.

there are requirements, just like everywhere else.  you have to be a resident, and you have to have proven residency for X amount of time.  the Sheriff's Department checks this, of course.  you have to have a certification from that state that shows you have completed the necessary classroom course and shooting range requirements.  you have to have proper valid identification, drivers license or ID card, issued from that state, which of course originates from actually being a resident there.  you cant even submit an application for a CCH permit without the proper ID. and even if you could, you couldn't legally carry without having a license or ID that matches the CCH permit information (address, age, etc.)  because of lack of residency, there are several other requirements that you wouldn't meet as a result.  for more information visit the state's website http://www.nh.gov/

have a nice day.

New Hampshire and Maine are both shall issue states that have non-resident permits and are available completely by mail. The question isn't whether it is possible to obtain an permit it is whether it will be honored legally. Sorry to be an asshole but don't go making false claims without doing your research, that's how we lose advantage of our rights.

BRobb19

imported post

jsmith89 wrote:
New Hampshire and Maine are both shall issue states that have non-resident permits and are available completely by mail. The question isn't whether it is possible to obtain an permit it is whether it will be honored legally. Sorry to be an @#$% but don't go making false claims without doing your research, that's how we lose advantage of our rights.

Wow, you are an idiot.

Non-resident permits are for people who ALREADY POSSESS a Concealed Carry Handgun Permit from another state.

Here is the online printable APPLICATION. Be sure and allow yourself to scroll down to Page 2, which is the NON-RESIDENT APPLICATION, and read the first requirement.

http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache...+non-resident+permit&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

Do your research before you start telling someone off about a subject which you posted a thread obviously uneducated about.

Once again, you are an idiot.

TFED12

imported post

jsmith89, welcome to the forum.

Actually, after thoroughly reading the information on the links in the previous posts, and how un-orthodox it seems, you may actually be able to get that permit from Maine. However, the NH application specifically request your HOME STATE permit number. Well, Maine is not your home state. So, I doubt you will get the NH permit.

Good luck and continue to open carry though.

And, I am not understanding why there is such disrespect and name calling on this forum. I applaud you for not responding in the same manner to those that disrespect you. I don't think you are an idiot, just a young guy asking a legit question and trying to learn something. Just keep reading this forum and you will learn which posters.........well.....you will figure it out.

Have a nice day....and I mean that Sincerely.

jsmith89

imported post

TFED12 wrote:
jsmith89, welcome to the forum.

Actually, after thoroughly reading the information on the links in the previous posts, and how un-orthodox it seems,  you may actually be able to get that permit from Maine.  However, the NH application specifically request your HOME STATE permit number.  Well, Maine is not your home state.  So, I doubt you will get the NH permit. 

Good luck and continue to open carry though. 

And, I am not understanding why there is such disrespect and name calling on this forum.  I applaud you for not responding in the same manner to those that disrespect you. I don't think you are an idiot, just a young guy asking a legit question and trying to learn something.  Just keep reading this forum and you will learn which posters.........well.....you will figure it out.

Have a nice day....and I mean that Sincerely.

Thank you for the respect. Actually New Hampshire changed the law I believe in 2005 they will now accept a permit from any state.

"A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:
1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you
reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state. "

BRobb19

imported post

jsmith89 wrote:
"A non-resident pistol permit will not be issued unless you supply:
1) A copy (front & back) of your valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you
reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state. "
Yes, that's it, you found it.

So as soon as you have a concealed carry permit from another state, you should apply for one in New Hampshire.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

TFED12 wrote:
And, I am not understanding why there is such disrespect and name calling on this forum.
It's not so much on the forum as a whole as it is from one individual. There's always one, right?

Anyway, I can't for the life of me remember the details at the moment, but I do know of at least one other person in NC that is under 21 and has a non-resident permit from another State. I'll try to get up with someone and find out which State the permit is from, and what process was required to acquire it.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

Can't find it right now, but I thought there was aprovision for allowing a person of 18 years or olderto receive a CHP with authorization from his county sherriff. Other than that, the law requires that CHP holders from other states abide by NC CHP laws when in the state. This would lead me to believe that they would need to have turned 21 for their license to be valid, or had the sherriff give his "blessing". Please let me know if this is incorrect.

jsmith89

imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
Can't find it right now, but I thought there was aprovision for allowing a person of 18 years or older to receive a CHP with authorization from his county sherriff.  Other than that, the law requires that CHP holders from other states abide by NC CHP laws when in the state.  This would lead me to believe that they would need to have turned 21 for their license to be valid, or had the sherriff give his "blessing".  Please let me know if this is incorrect.

I read this as well. However I along with an attorney friend of mine took it to mean that the laws regarding where a concealed weapon can be carried etc because the law regarding concealed carry age isn't covered in the same section it is covered under issuance. Its the same as if NC will not issue a permit to say someone convicted of DWI but FL will then NC still honors the FL permit even though the individual wouldn't be able to get a permit in NC. There is no case law on the matter I can find though.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

BRobb19...

Before calling people idiots, and telling them to research, maybe you should do some research of your own. You said that bothe New Hampshire and Maine require one to already posess a permit before applying for one of thiers. While this may be true for new Hampshire, it is absolutely false regarding Maine.

I have a friend here in Utah, that applied by mail for a Maine non-resident permit. He did this because he is 19, and Utah will not issue a permit to persons under the age of 21. However, Utah will honor a permit issued by any state. And guess what he got in the mail not too long after...

A non-resident permit from the State of Maine.