• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

magazine pouches?

Puddin99

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Do you carry a magazine pouch?

Single or double?

Leather or synthetic?

With flap or without?

Belt-loop or belt clip/paddle?

I was looking for a single magazine holder and I thought that a flap would be better than open. Was also thinking for a clip on than a loop for easy on and off.

Thoughts?

bourneshooter

imported post

If you don't carry an extra mag, you should. Why? Magazines are the number 1 cause of weapons malfuntions.

Open top Kydex is the way to go.

Most people I know in the non .mil/LE world are best served by an open top Kydex mag pouch. Unless you plan on swimming through rivers, climbing peaks in the Takur Gar Mtn Range in A-stan, Wrestling with your local MS-13 gangbanger, flaps on the mag pouch don't make sense.

As for belt loop or paddle, that is a personal preference. You will have to try several on your own to make up your mind. I've used both and have a place for both.

Brands to purchase:

Bladetech - especially if you can get the model that holds 1 pistol mag and 1 flashlight. Frees up your pocked from carrying the flashlight.

Blackhawk CQC - single mag pouches that can be added to another piece of kit from BHI to make it a dual mag holder.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I'm currently using a leather 2 mag single stack holster with flaps, and belt loops. I put a 1911 or Kahr P9 magazine in one slot, and I put my audio recorder in the other slot (towards the front).

I'm not sure if I'll keep this setup, but the flaps do allow me to carry single stack magazines of different sizes, and they also hide the audio recorder without blocking the stereo mic's on either side.

Edit: Grammar

Pol Mordreth

imported post

I currently carry a Fobus double mag paddle. Comfy, not too expensive. Open top polymer construction, with a decent angle and decent friction retention.

Remember, if you carry extra mags, you should practice reloading your firearm. Those things get slippery when your hands are sweating, and you want to be used to the motions needed.

Regards,

Pol

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use a nylon belt loop mag pouch with a velcro flap for daily carry. I carry that way because it allows me to essentially CC my extra mag in plain sight and mags for either of my primary carry sidearms fit ok giving me consistency in my carry method. That is due to business and local circumstances rather than preference. If I both had a job and lived in a state such that OC was practical the majority of the time for me I would carry with an open top kydex holster.

PoppaGary

imported post

I use either a nylon mag pouch with a velcro flap or a leather mag/knife sheath with snap flap when I carry.I feel the covered poucheskeep my carry discreet when needed, open cases are fine at other times.(I don't OC much yet.)

They are all single mag andhave belt loops.I wish one or two had a clip or paddle,when I need to remove the mag and holster it is a bit of a pain to have to practically remove your belt to remove the mag pouch.

Gary

nova

imported post

I use a cheap Gunmate (made by Uncle Mikes) nylon single mag pouch with belt loop and velcro flap. Holds a single 15rd 9mm mag and since there's the flap it looks like a flashlight or multitool pouch. It can be carried both in the vertical and horizontal position due to the design of the belt loop.

imported post

I have a Crossbreed double mag carrier for my 1911. Any that are leather are pretty comfortable. Just make sure that they don't your mag right up against your body or they'll dig in.

Ram Rod

imported post

Puddin99 wrote:
Do you carry a magazine pouch?

Single or double?

Leather or synthetic?

With flap or without?

Belt-loop or belt clip/paddle?

I was looking for a single magazine holder and I thought that a flap would be better than open. Was also thinking for a clip on than a loop for easy on and off.

Thoughts?

Single mag holder for me. Uncle Mike's kydex actually. For my Glocks or the SIG.

shad0wfax

imported post

My current mag-pouch setup is a 2-pouch Bianchi synthetic pouch with seperate velcro flaps. It can be mounted on up to a 3" belt in either the horizontal or vertical position.

I like any pouch that fits my magazines nicely and securely. There are pros and cons to flaps. The flaps help keep dust and foreign objects from interfering with the magazines but they make the magazines slightly slower to get to. I don't plan on hanging upside down, but I do bend over to tie a shoe or pick up a dropped coin from time to time, so some amount of retention was important to me. That's why I settled on flaps.

The brand was simply what was available that fit my magazines on the day I went shopping.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pol Mordreth wrote:
I currently carry a Fobus double mag paddle. Comfy, not too expensive. Open top polymer construction, with a decent angle and decent friction retention.

Remember, if you carry extra mags, you should practice reloading your firearm. Those things get slippery when your hands are sweating, and you want to be used to the motions needed.

Regards,

Pol
Mine just broke. :cuss: