• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

cities that ban mace?

cynicist

imported post

I recall a little while back something about some cities (I think Bellingham) banning pepper sprays.
I ran into RCW 9.91.160 which explicitly preempts their banning.

just_a_car

imported post

That's an outstanding find, cynicist!!!

It indeed is state preemption on pepper spray, mace, tear gas, etc.

Time to go after B-ham and others. *chuckle* I just got an image of OC'ing OC spray while OC'ing a pistol.

Vandal

imported post

There is state pre-emption but does that cover the university system? I am curious because I heard a rumor saying that students cannot carry cans of mace, etc on campus.

carhas0

imported post

Defensive sprays are specifically excluded from the list of dangerous weapons in UW's student conduct code.

Vandal

imported post

Do any of the Cougs know if that is the same at Wazzu? My g/f has a lot of classes that get out after dark and since she cant carry a gun on campus I was thinking pepper spray or foam after I do some more research on them. Maybe bear mace.

cynicist

imported post

That's an outstanding find, cynicist!!!
I've finally done some good here!

That's my repayment for when you got my back for the CPL denial.

I should add that I found it because I work at a library and when the new set of RCWs come in they get rid of the old ones, that are sold through Friend of the Library, at a price of $.25 per paperback, or 5/$1.00, so I got them all for $2.50. Best money I've spent in a long time.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

Vandal wrote:
Do any of the Cougs know if that is the same at Wazzu? Maybe bear mace.
LOL! I read this as "beer mace". Maybe that would be a good idea. If some college guy was attacking you, just spray some beer in his face. Mmmm, beer. j/k of course.

Granum

imported post

Over all id rather you just shoot me in a limb then get sprayed with mace. That stuff is horrible if your on the receiving end that is. But good find I didn't know that.

If they can't restrict the sale of mace or "sprays" how come I can't order an MK9 without verification of employment most places.

grishnav

imported post

Granum wrote:
Over all id rather you just shoot me in a limb then get sprayed with mace. That stuff is horrible if your on the receiving end that is. But good find I didn't know that.

Mace ain't so bad, but pepper spray SUCKS.

If they can't restrict the sale of mace or "sprays" how come I can't order an MK9 without verification of employment most places.
Probably MK9 sales rules. Same thing with Federal HST ammo. Federal will cut you as a dealer if you're caught selling to non-LEO, which is why us civvies have to go through sites like ammotogo that manage to find secondhand stocks of it here and there.

Granum

imported post

Yea I guess i said that wrong I was sprayed pretty good with alcohol based Oleoresin Capsicum or OC. Somehow WA DOC thinks if you are going to spray someone you must know what its like.

PT111

imported post

I have three daughters that for various reasons cannot or will not carry a gun. I won't get into that but for Christmas I bought all three a can of pepper spray and a stun gun. Luckily here in SC the only restrictions that I can find on either is that it is illegal to try to take one from a LEO. As for those states or cities that ban either I think it is about a ignorant as any law they can pass. I will not argue right now on gun restrictions but to ban the only other self-defense tools that a young lady or man for that matter is totally ignorant. I don't know how effective either the pepper spray or the stun gun (not a taser but a zapper type)are but I expectthey arebetter than nothing and they can carrythem without a permit and anywhere they go. Also they are a lot cheaper than a gun and since they are classified as less then lethal much more likely to use them.