• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taylor CPL Class $85

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Reply to: serv-977690775@craigslist.org [suP][?][/suP]
Date: 2009-01-02, 3:23PM EST

ONE DAY CLASS!! $85.00 Internet Special. All books and range fee is included
in the price. Class is from 10 am to 7 pm at Gander Mountain in Taylor call early to reserve you spot, classes fill fast. Please contact Bill or Kathy at 734-771-6749
for details. Come ready to learn and enjoy yourself call today

taxwhat

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Reply to: serv-977690775@craigslist.org [suP][?][/suP]
Date: 2009-01-02, 3:23PM EST

ONE DAY CLASS!! $85.00 Internet Special. All books and range fee is included
in the price. Class is from 10 am to 7 pm at Gander Mountain in Taylor call early to reserve you spot, classes fill fast. Please contact Bill or Kathy at 734-771-6749
for details. Come ready to learn and enjoy yourself call today
Do you need Basic gun handling ?What range ,same day ?

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Ok talked to Kathleen today. This is the complete class needed for your CPL. This includes range time. She also stated it may go past 7pm so from 10am-7pm? or more. If your interested in the class, you will need to make contact with her atleast 2 weeks prior to the class to order materials. She also asked that a deposit be made. Hope this helps. If anyone is interested in going PM me.

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Took the Class today. Nothing to it! Was a perfect fit for me. 10am - 6pm Included range time. If your knowledgable with your firearm I suggest this class. Kathy stated the rate is going to be back to $115 for future classes. As stated in the post you get what you pay for. I paid for what I needed and am totally satisfied... Very cool people, very infomative class.

taxwhat

imported post

wardog6d wrote:
Took the Class today. Nothing to it! Was a perfect fit for me. 10am - 6pm Included range time. If your knowledgable with your firearm I suggest this class. Kathy stated the rate is going to be back to $115 for future classes. As stated in the post you get what you pay for. I paid for what I needed and am totally satisfied... Very cool people, very infomative class.
Have you ever had a CCW permit or CPL before today ? THE reason I askNumber of hours Does NOT meet the LAW ! If you have Never had a CPL or DD-214 from armed service or letter from Gun club RSO stateing you have handled safely a hand gun or worked as armed guard [ Brinks ,Wells Cargo ] . I would Not Go Bragging on this topic If you read the CPL tri-fold application it is a Felony to falsely sign .

taxwhat

imported post

Have you ever had a CCW permit or CPL before today ? THE reason I askNumber of hours Does NOT meet the LAW ! If you have Never had a CPL or DD-214 from armed service or letter from Gun club RSO stateing you have handled safely a hand gun or worked as armed guard [ Brinks ,Wells Cargo] . I would Not Go Bragging on this topic If you read the CPL tri-fold application it is a Felony to falsely sign . PLEASE check NRA Site For Minimum Hours ! Assuming Instructor was NRA certified .Oh No lunch is NO NO 50 minute Class Max .Per hour .Mathematically speaking does not add up .

taxwhat

imported post

d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a national organization to teach the 8-hour pistol safety training course described in this section.
(2) A person shall not do either of the following:

(a) Grant a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to an individual knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.

(b) Present a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to a concealed weapon licensing board knowing that the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.

(3) A person who violates subsection (2) is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

I can't find this stuff online. Could someone please post a copy of each.

From what I was told the tri-fold say something like...NRA certified and in order to be NRA certified you must follow the course description given by the NRA and NOT the tri-fold.

Technically the NRA says like 100 rounds. Because the LAW says that you must follow the NRA guidelines it makes whatever the NRA says, LAW as far as what is required in order to be certified.

Many, MANY CPL instructors ARE NOT FOLLOWING THE NRA GUIDELINES.

Therefore If you took a class from one of these CPL instructors that are following the tri-fold and NOT following the guidelines set forth by the NRA andYOU sign the dotted line, YOU have committed a felony.

Now as most here know the LAW is what matters, NOT just some BS that someone in authority told you.

Keep in mind that it would be GREAT to know the truth on this and for that we need someone to post the documents.

I hopethis make sense

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Anyone wish to explain a Legal CPL class ? Please be my guest .
Jan, did you review the link I provided (Sec 5j)? It all seems very clear to me.

(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:

In order to be certified by this national training organization (NRA) the Instructor MUST follow the guideline set forth by the NRA.

taxwhat

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
d) The instructor of the course is certified by this state or a national organization to teach the 8-hour pistol safety training course described in this section.
(2) A person shall not do either of the following:

(a) Grant a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to an individual knowing the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.

(b) Present a certificate of completion described under subsection (1)(c) to a concealed weapon licensing board knowing that the individual did not satisfactorily complete the course.

(3) A person who violates subsection (2) is guilty of a felony punishable by imprisonment for not more than 4 years or a fine of not more than $2,500.00, or both.
Spent less than 3hours on the range =you lose..........shot at target other than 81/2 x 11 or 9 inch round paper plate [ both blank ] =you lose .....and the list goes on .

taxwhat

imported post

dougwg wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
taxwhat wrote:
Anyone wish to explain a Legal CPL class ? Please be my guest .
Jan, did you review the link I provided (Sec 5j)? It all seems very clear to me.

(a) The program is certified by this state or a national or state firearms training organization and provides 5 hours of instruction in, but is not limited to providing instruction in, all of the following:

In order to be certified by this national training organization (NRA) the Instructor MUST follow the guideline set forth by the NRA.
This is a REAL problem ! Please Explain a legal CPL class , not READ a law with out understanding the consequence !

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

LUNCH? Thats the best you can come up with? Anyway.... The CLASS was 8 hours. I have a DD-214. I suppose my certificate is still worhtless.

The class was exactly as described? 8 hours. Included Range time? Honestly Icant understand why anyone would want to sit through 2 days of class. To question the class, time requirementor State requirement, I would think the law enforcement officer giving the class would meet the state requirements. If anything else, to not risk losing his NRA instruction license but also not to come under fire from his own police department in which he works and also in which he conducted the class within the city where he worked...

Not to mention the fact he offered to meet us indivdually at the range for additional training if we needed it and also gave us his personal cell number for any questions we may have in the future. FREE of charge.

I really can't see paying $150 for 2 days of some guy blowing whistles and yelling into a bull horn. If thats the type of training you need, good luck with that.Being prior military I really only needed the law portion.

Not wanting to get to much into the Open carry discussion, I will say it did not go over well. However was discussed. The basic outcome was this..

Printing was the terminolgy used. It is considered printing. If a weapon is visible by a CPL holder. Not open carry.

The only reason Open carry has been allowed in Michigan is that most of the open carrydoneis donebecause there are strength in numbers.

There is really no way to open carry a firearm without it being considered brandishing or carry concealed. If part of the firearm is concealed the court considers it concealed. If you do not have a CPL you will be charged with CCW.

If the firearm is totally in viewable, whateverway it is achieved more then likely you will be charged with disturbing the peace or brandishing. If you do not have a CPL.

If you feel you are going to open carry, get a attorney on retainer. More then likely your going to need it sooner or later.

You may take this how you will. I feel this is plausable, sound advice. For those of us that cannot afford to keep a attorney on retainer. Knowing the law is one thing. Paying to keep a attorney on retainer is another.

For those of you that promote open carry and hold CPL's.As I understand it,that when you "Open Carry" law enforcement does not consider it that at all. As it is considered printing. So for allyou that say "I open carry here", "I open carry there". I suggest if your really wishing to exercise your rights, give up your CPL and then open carry, and let us all know what happens. How much you pay in attorney fee's, court costs and/orhow much you win in your lawsuit.How much time you spend in jail. Set the precidence, we'll all see the outcome on TV I am sure... I might also add totry it down here, anywhere other then hick ville rural stickwater area's when you do give up your CPL.

Waiting to be hacked n attacked for this one...LOL

As for the lunch when you contact Kathy. She will advise you to pack a lunch and arrive a half hour early. She will also advise you not to bring your weapon into training roomand that you will only need it at the range. Pay close attention to the class and take notes. If you havent purchased a firearm and you do so before the next class, take it to the range before the class.