Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Requirement to show ID

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    241

    Post imported post

    If you are carrying a firearm in Connecticut (either open or concealed) do you have to show yourpermit to carryto an police officer if asked?

    Is it legally required to allow an officer to look at the serial number of your firearm?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    JUMPMASTER wrote:
    If you are carrying a firearm in Connecticut (either open or concealed) do you have to show yourpermit to carryto an police officer if asked?

    Is it legally required to allow an officer to look at the serial number of your firearm?
    Carrying a firearm in CT is illegal without a valid Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. If a police officer saw you carrying a firearm, he could legally demand to see your permit (and then arrest you if you fail to produce it).

    What is his reason for wanting to see the serial number? IMO, if he can't articulate a reasonable suspicion of a crime to justify a need to see the number for an official purpose, I would object vehemently and call a lawyer later.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915

    Post imported post

    Do you have a citation of the law that you have just stated as being fact?

    I am not saying that it Isn't fact, I am merely requesting that citing the law is more convincing than saying "The law says such-and-such".


  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Griswold CT, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    196

    Post imported post

    If you weren't carrying a firearm....it may be legal not to show ID. But I believe the presence of a firearm would obligate you to produceyour pistol permit.

    I would resist giving the serial number though....if he has no reason or warrantto search me. I dunno....but I'd politely/legally resist as much as possible.Geta lawyer!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    Fallschirmjäger wrote:
    Do you have a citation of the law that you have just stated as being fact?

    I am not saying that it Isn't fact, I am merely requesting that citing the law is more convincing than saying "The law says such-and-such".
    CT General Statute 29-35

    Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

    (b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    If you are carrying a firearm and not required to show such a permit what would be the need of a permit.

    LEO: I see you are carrying a gun concealed. Do you have a permit to carry it?

    YOU: Yes sir, I have a permit.

    LEO: Very good, you can be on your way.

    YOU thinking: Boy that was easy, just lie to him and he can't do a thing about it, wonder if I can get away with it next time they ask for my drivers license after running that red light.

    LEO: Oh yeah. since you say you have a permit would you mind proving it? :what:

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Plainville, CT, ,
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    PT111 wrote:
    If you are carrying a firearm and not required to show such a permit what would be the need of a permit.

    LEO: I see you are carrying a gun concealed. Do you have a permit to carry it?

    YOU: Yes sir, I have a permit.

    LEO: Very good, you can be on your way.

    YOU thinking: Boy that was easy, just lie to him and he can't do a thing about it, wonder if I can get away with it next time they ask for my drivers license after running that red light.

    LEO: Oh yeah. since you say you have a permit would you mind proving it? :what:
    Not trying to be a jerk by I have to comment on this one. If the LEO sees that you are carrying concealed you must be doing it wrong.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Hilton Head, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    524

    Post imported post

    AGust82 wrote:
    PT111 wrote:
    If you are carrying a firearm and not required to show such a permit what would be the need of a permit.

    LEO: I see you are carrying a gun concealed. Do you have a permit to carry it?

    YOU: Yes sir, I have a permit.

    LEO: Very good, you can be on your way.

    YOU thinking: Boy that was easy, just lie to him and he can't do a thing about it, wonder if I can get away with it next time they ask for my drivers license after running that red light.

    LEO: Oh yeah. since you say you have a permit would you mind proving it? :what:
    Not trying to be a jerk by I have to comment on this one. If the LEO sees that you are carrying concealed you must be doing it wrong.
    I guess that depends on whether you attempt to conceal your firearm because the law compels you, or because you really prefer that method of carry.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247

    Post imported post

    AGust82 wrote:
    PT111 wrote:
    If you are carrying a firearm and not required to show such a permit what would be the need of a permit.

    LEO: I see you are carrying a gun concealed. Do you have a permit to carry it?

    YOU: Yes sir, I have a permit.

    LEO: Very good, you can be on your way.

    YOU thinking: Boy that was easy, just lie to him and he can't do a thing about it, wonder if I can get away with it next time they ask for my drivers license after running that red light.

    LEO: Oh yeah. since you say you have a permit would you mind proving it? :what:
    Not trying to be a jerk by I have to comment on this one. If the LEO sees that you are carrying concealed you must be doing it wrong.
    No offense taken at all as the original question was about open or concealed. Since OC doesn't normally need a permit and someone would comment about that I restricted it to concealed. Maybe you were printing or it accidently became exposed. Either way the LEO would have to know you were carrying to have asked about it. Otherwise he would have no reason to ask for your permit.

    You could also get into the requirement where do you have to provide your permit when asked for your DL but that is a totally different question. Just trying to point out that if what you are doing requires a permit whether it be DL, LTC, hunting, fishing, a Surveyor, Doctor or hairdresserand you are asked to prove that what you are doing is legal you better be ready to prove that it is.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Plainville, CT, ,
    Posts
    120

    Post imported post

    Here in CT there is no OC without a permit like some states. you need a permit to even have a pistol. There used to be a permit that allowed you to purchase and posess a gun in your home but not carry but I believe that is no longer, just a carry permit. Obviously all of us here are pro-open carry but if you try it here, the local cops will likely have you on the ground quickly.

    As for the serial number question, would you take offense to an LEO checking your car'sVIN number during a routine traffic stop? I liken it to the same thing. Police are not often able to be proactive on crime so if they have someone they might as well check the simple stuff just to be sure. I'm not sure if it's your obligation to let them see it but I wouldn't be opposed to it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646

    Post imported post

    Checking a VIN is a bit different. The cop would NOT need to do anything other than look through the windshield to get that. To get the serial number off your pistol he/she may need to look closely at it and in my case would have to remove it from the holster as it's on the right hand side and I'm left handed.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kent county, Delaware, USA
    Posts
    322

    Post imported post

    GoldCoaster wrote:
    Checking a VIN is a bit different. The cop would NOT need to do anything other than look through the windshield to get that. To get the serial number off your pistol he/she may need to look closely at it and in my case would have to remove it from the holster as it's on the right hand side and I'm left handed.
    not to mention covered with a piece of electrical tape

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Griswold CT, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    196

    Post imported post

    AGust82 wrote:
    Here in CT there is no OC without a permit like some states. you need a permit to even have a pistol. There used to be a permit that allowed you to purchase and posess a gun in your home but not carry but I believe that is no longer, just a carry permit. Obviously all of us here are pro-open carry but if you try it here, the local cops will likely have you on the ground quickly.
    You don't need a permit to keep a pistolin your home or business. You just can't buy or carry a gun outsidewithout it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Stratford, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    646

    Post imported post

    Whether or not the serial number is protected by electrical tape so that it doesn't get scratched or unreadable is besides the point. There's not much space between the serial number and my love handles for a cop to get her head in there without buying me dinner first.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915

    Post imported post

    Georgia has much the same laws as Connecticut, as regards to licensing and carry of firearms.

    Here is something for the logically inclined to think about:

    Driver's License - O.C.G.A. § 40-5-29 (condensed version)
    ...Required to have immediate possession of
    ...specifically stipulated that the license must be displayed upon request

    Firearms License - O.C.G.A. § 16-11-128 (also vastly condensed)
    ...Required to carry on his person
    ...No stipulation that it must be displayed upon request.


    You will notice that there is spcific language regarding how the license must be carried as well as language (or lack therof) regarding producing such license.






  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    241

    Post imported post

    Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. .............ed in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

    (b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.




    Sec. 29-37. Penalties. (a) Any person violating any provision of section 29-28 or 29-31 shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both, and any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any of said provisions shall be forfeited.

    (b) Any person violating any provision of subsection (a) of section 29-35 may be fined not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned not less than one year nor more than five years, and, in the absence of any mitigating circumstances as determined by the court, one year of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court. The court shall specifically state the mitigating circumstances, or the absence thereof, in writing for the record. Any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any provision of subsection (a) of section 29-35 shall be forfeited.

    (c) Any person violating any provision of subsection (b) of section 29-35 shall have committed an infraction and shall be fined thirty-five dollars.


    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Here is what the law says. If you have been issued a permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall carry it upon ones person. If you don't have it on you if asked then it's a $35 fine. Therefore I believe that if asked to show your permit and you have some cause to believe that the LEO will illegally seize or confiscate your permit then don't show it and take the $35 fine. Remember, only the Commissioner of DPS can revoke your permit for cause. A police officer can not seize your permit.


    It happened to me last year but I got my permit back from SLFU about a week later in the mail.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Griswold CT, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    196

    Post imported post

    JUMPMASTER wrote:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Here is what the law says. If you have been issued a permit to carry a pistol or revolver shall carry it upon ones person. If you don't have it on you if asked then it's a $35 fine. Therefore I believe that if asked to show your permit and you have some cause to believe that the LEO will illegally seize or confiscate your permit then don't show it and take the $35 fine. Remember, only the Commissioner of DPS can revoke your permit for cause. A police officer can not seize your permit.


    It happened to me last year but I got my permit back from SLFU about a week later in the mail.
    What happened? ...if you don't mind sharing

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    241

    Post imported post

    A state cop seized my permit but the SLFU sent it back. This was unrelated to a carry incident. I won't get into anymore details but everything turned out in my favor in court.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •