• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registration of handguns on carry permit

kurtmax_0

imported post

I am planning on possibly moving to the Clark county area after I graduate this year (if I can find a decent job that is!).

I am wondering about the carry permits in Nevada. When reading the police site it seems that every handgun I want to carry must be listed on the permit. If I get new handguns that I want to carry do I need to get a permit reissued? Also do you qualify on a specific handgun (IE, the serial #), or a specific model or handgun?

Also, what's the deal with handgun registration in Clark County? I thought you guys were hardcore gun nuts out there ;) (Guess it's a bit close to Kalifornia!)

Oh, and as a bonus question!: Can you carry concealed rifles or machineguns as well? (In Alabama, for example, it's illegal to carry a concealed rifle even with a permit. Weird huh?)

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Per 202.3657, The make and model and caliberof each semi-automatic firearm and whether or not revolvers are pemitted to carry is listed on the permit for concealed carry. There is no permit required to open carry. Residents of Clark County have three days to register handguns, whilenon-residents can be in Clark County for sixty days before they must register handguns.

Perhaps too many Californians went to Clark before preemption was established. The registration they have there was the only grandfathered rule after preemption.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

Without a permit to carry concealed it is illegal toconceal a
(3) Pistol, revolver or other firearm, or other dangerous or deadly weapon;

which would include rifles, per NRS 202.350 . Rifles as well as other firearms can be carried openly without a permit.

Per NRS202.3653and 202.3657, the sheriff can specifically issue a permit for revolvers or semi-automatic firearms. The sheriff isn't allowed anywhere by law that I can find to issue other firearms and the permit procedure that allows the sheriff to issue permits for otherweaponsin 202.350 mentions that 202.350 does not give the authority to sheriffs to issue permits for firearms.

202.3657:

2. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the sheriff shall issue a permit for revolvers, one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, or for revolvers and one or more specific semiautomatic firearms, as applicable, to any person who is qualified to possess the firearm or firearmsto which the application pertains under state and federal law, who submits an application in accordance with the provisions of this section and who:

Revolvers include single and double barreled derringers.

4. “Revolver” means a firearm that has a revolving cylinder with several chambers, which, by pulling the trigger or setting the hammer, are aligned with the barrel, placing the bullet in a position to be fired. The term includes, without limitation, a single or double derringer.

5. “Semiautomatic firearm” means a firearm which:

(a) Uses the energy of the explosive in a fixed cartridge to extract a fixed cartridge and chamber a fresh cartridge with each single pull of the trigger; and

(b) Requires the release of the trigger and another pull of the trigger for each successive shot.

Since there is no provision for a fully-automatic firearm, a pump action one, a lever action one, a bolt action one, or others, I guess such firearms would have to be carried openly. But technically Idon'tseehow the permit wouldn't work for revolver and semi-automatic rifles since it just says "firearm" and not"handgun".

Per 202.275 you can possess an SBR or SBS if you meet the federal requirements. Per 202.350 you can possess a machinegun or silencer if "authorized by federal law."

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

For other non-firearm weapons you can technically get a permit to carry them concealed but they are discretionary rather than shall-issue, and there is no state pre-emption. (If you wanted to conceal a dagger, it is otherwise prohibited by 202.350, but depending on local laws may be carried openly.) Also, as far as I know, even though the sheriff is allowed to givepermits for such weapons, no such application forms exist.

varminter22

imported post

See http://www.stillwaterfirearms.org/Pages/CCW_FAQ.php

However, Clark County is slightly different. See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum36/15276.html

If you are a Clark County resident (or a visitor staying 60 days), you are required by county (and some city) ordinance to register EVERY handgun you have. See http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/clarknv/and http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/lasvegas/and http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/henderson/and http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/nolasvegas/

By law (NRS Ch 202, see http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-202.html#NRS202Sec3653), you are only required to qualify with semi autos by make, model, and caliber; if you qualify with one revolver, you may carry any revolver (to include derringers.)

If you purchase a different make, model or caliber semi autohandgun you wish to carry after you have your permit, you must qualify with it and deliver the qual form to the sheriffs office.

Here it gets "goofy". In most counties, the sheriff simply places the new qual form in your file and there is no additional charge IF you do not want a new permit card issued. And there is NO (lawful) requirement toissue a new permit card - you may qualify with every make, model caliber semi auto handgun known to mankind and obviosly there is not room on the reverse of your permit card to list them all.

However, I'm told a couple of sheriffs, including Clark County, will charge you a fee to add a gun to your permit. I believe this is not only unnecessary but also unlawful. I would encourage permit holdersin such counties to take the issue to their sheriff, the NV Sheriffs & Chiefs Ass'n, and their state assemblyman and senator.

Handgun registration in Clark County. Yes, believe it or not, Clark County is hte ONLY county that requires it by ordinance. In the 2007 legislative session, Sen Lee (D-Clark) introduced a bill (SB-92) that would have eliminated registration in Clark County. Unfortunately, law enforcement from Clark County moaned and whined, saying it is a valuable law enforcement too. When questioned, however, they could not point to a single instance of ever using it! But the committee and legislature did leave it intact and "grandfathered" the Clark County registration ordinance. (SB-92 did pass, as amended, and was still a good law. But although we tried hard, we were unsuccessful in convincing them to repeal Clark County registration ordinances.)

Gordie

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
I am planning on possibly moving to the Clark county area after I graduate this year (if I can find a decent job that is!).

Why Clark County? The rest of the state is much less Californicated.:celebrate

Sorry, no offense to those freedom lovingAMERICANSin Clark County.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Gordie wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:

Why Clark County?  The rest of the state is much less Californicated.:celebrate

Sorry, no offense to those freedom loving AMERICANS in Clark County.

Just one of the possible places I wanted to live. I took a trip out there a few weeks ago and I liked the area. Too bad most of the neat places (like death valley) are also in California. It's probably the most likely place I'd find a job in my field in Nevada as well (Software Engineering).

I was rather surprised about the firearm laws there when I checked. I'm spoiled living in Alabama (except for the 'small' may issue problem that gave me some problems before I was 21).

So, er, just to ask a more annoying question: What if you buy a firearm that is interchangeable into many different calibers and configurations? Do you need to qualify with every single caliber and configuration even if it's the same serialed receiver?

varminter22

imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
So, er, just to ask a more annoying question: What if you buy a firearm that is interchangeable into many different calibers and configurations? Do you need to qualify with every single caliber and configuration even if it's the same serialed receiver?

I would say "Yes" because it would be a different caliber.

If ref to CCW, Serial numbers do NOT matter.

Darth Tater

imported post

I recently went though all of the hassle of applying for my CCW. I still OC in the meantime, but it is getting freakin' cold!!!! A weapon is listed on your permit by caliber, so if I want to carry one of my Sig 45s, I can carry any of them, since the weapon's serial number is not listed on the permit. You have to carry the registraion card for each weapon, when you are carrying it. I believe this is in the statute as well' Felid, want to back me up on this one??

varminter22

imported post

Darth Tator wrote:
I recently went though all of the hassle of applying for my CCW. I still OC in the meantime, but it is getting freakin' cold!!!! A weapon is listed on your permit by caliber, so if I want to carry one of my Sig 45s, I can carry any of them, since the weapon's serial number is not listed on the permit. You have to carry the registraion card for each weapon, when you are carrying it. I believe this is in the statute as well' Felid, want to back me up on this one??

You can certainly carry any of your Sig .45s - as long as each one is the same model. The law does require us to qualify with each semi auto by make, model and caliber.

You do NOT have to carry your Clark County registration card while carrying your handgun(s). See http://www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.htmlwhich states:
You should carry the gun registration card (not required) whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.

varminter22

imported post

Darth Tator wrote:
You can certainly carry any of your Sig .45s - as long as each one is the same model. The law does require us to qualify with each semi auto by make, model and caliber.

You do NOT have to carry your Clark County registration card while carrying your handgun(s). See www.lvmpd.com/permits/firearms_registration.htmlwhich states:
You should carry the gun registration card (not required) whenever you are in possession of the registered firearm.

Gordie

imported post

kurtmax_0

Have you considerred the Reno/Carson City areas? You might be surprised what you might find here. There are a lot of companies that moved here from California for tax reasons.

wayneco

imported post

Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble.com, for instance, I believe Intuit is also in the Reno area. There is definitely tech work in the Reno area...

All of these companies set up in Nevada due to a couple of reasons:

no inventory tax in NV which is great if you warehouse goods for sale

and can ship tax-free into CA, a very, very large market.

I moved to NV for taxes and gun rights to say the least! 2009 is my 10th year in Washoe County!