• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in winter

cynicist

imported post

This has probably been discussed a couple hundred times by now, but I didn't see it so I'll say it now, and this is directed towards the more hard-core, anti-CC ones,
How the hell do you OC in winter?

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Wear a jacket instead of a coat and tuck the tail next to your holster behind the holster (this is called the "Virginia Tuck"). I do this all the time. It's easy for me because I own no coats.. all are jackets of varying types.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Our weather in Va. really doesn't often demand a long coat - a jacket will suffice and allows my handgun to peek a bit.

Entering restaurants where I must OC (alcohol served) has established a pattern wherein I always remove my jacket before I enter any building.

I do not go so far as to belt up outside my coat/jacket.

While I do consider myself an OCer, I still remain flexible.

Yata hey

shad0wfax

imported post

cynicist wrote:
This has probably been discussed a couple hundred times by now, but I didn't see it so I'll say it now, and this is directed towards the more hard-core, anti-CC ones,
How the hell do you OC in winter?
I OC in the cold winter just like I am in the firstphotograph. (Granted, I am not usually OC'ing the rifle. Look to the lower left corner of the picture for my sidearm.) If I put my big bulky winter coat on, I just pull it down between my body and the holster in the second photograph.

If I wore stadium jackets (I don't) or trench coats (I don't) then I'd have to CC or use a web-belt or some other form of duty belt and OC on a second belt.

shad0wfaxpx8.jpg

img0631jj3.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

shad0wfax wrote:
I OC in the cold winter just like I am in the firstphotograph. (Granted, I am not usually OC'ing the rifle. Look to the lower left corner of the picture for my sidearm.) If I put my big bulky winter coat on, I just pull it down between my body and the holster in the second photograph.

If I wore stadium jackets (I don't) or trench coats (I don't) then I'd have to CC or use a web-belt or some other form of duty belt and OC on a second belt.
Please resize pictures in the future. Good pix but my screen isn't big enough. :)

Yata hey

shad0wfax

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Please resize pictures in the future. Good pix but my screen isn't big enough. :)

Yata hey
Eeep sorry. I take my huge flatscreen for granted I guess. I'll post thumbnails to smaller pictures in the future.

WheelGun

imported post

There are many brands of outer coat that have a police-style zipper on both the right and left sides, for a sidearm to be worn OC and the coat to extend down to keep you warm.

Look at www.galls.com

Some manufacturers are:

Spiewak - they make an incredible no-nonsense reflective coat that will take you down to below zero degrees outside, it isavailable in either blaze orange or bright green, each color also has silver stripes for night reflectivity. I wear the orange one in the woods during hunting season, as well as during non-hunting season so my kids can find me if they wander off on a side-trail. This bright-color coat is for rural community use only, unless you want to be mistaken for a utility worker.

For a more urban, low-profile look, 5.11 Company makes several coats and jackets, these are available in darker colors, but with all kinds of incredible hidden pockets in addition to the side zippers. These coats and jackets will blend in perfectly in any civilian setting and do not look like police or utility worker uniforms.

Another option is a police style jacket, in a color NOTto be mistakenwith your local PD or sheriff's office. Available in blue, black, green or brown. Remember to carefully remove the badge holder tab.

I do not work for or profit from any of the above companies or products.

WheelGun

imported post

Another possibility is to use a police duty holster. Many have a space specifically for neatly pulling down the waistband ofyour jackettoits proper position. The gun part of the holster fits up and over theend of the jacket. Again, try to get a color or finish NOT associated with your local PD. The only problem with this is that it would most likely require a separate gunbelt.

richarcm

imported post

I'm anti of sorts but only in regards to coats and jackets. I only wear them if I absolutely MUST. I just hate having to lug it around, hold onto it and/or coat check it. Plus they are just too restrictive while driving for example. I leave it at home and brave the cold as much as possible. If it's cold outside I'm not going to be out in it for too long anyways. The only time it really sucks is when waiting for my car to warm up.

I hate winter.