Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Until futher notice

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

If you do not have your CPL

DO NOT USE A IWB (INSIDE THE WAISTBAND)HOLSTER WHILE OPEN CARRYING.

IF YOU'RE TRANSPORTING YOUR GUN, ONLY GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO PRIVATE PROPERTY USING A DIRECT ROUTE AND THEN BACK TO YOUR HOME.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO THE GAS STATION AND THEN SOMEWHERE ELSE, GO HOME AGAIN BEFORE GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE.

EXAMPLE:

HOME>TARGET>HOME>WALMART>HOME>BURGE R KING

One of our members is being charged with 2 FELONY counts in Wayne county because of this.

I also hope more people will come out to support him when the time comes. He's being railroaded and if convicted he will have a felony record for the rest of his life. He's only 21.

Post imported post

Support, If this becomes precedent we [ all ] are in for wild ride OC and CC .

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:

DO NOT USE A IWB (INSIDE THE WAISTBAND)HOLSTER WHILE OPEN CARRYING."
    I would like to add. if you DO have your CPL, and are in a Concealed Carry free area (see the back of your license).

also do NOT use an IWB while open carrying in these locations.
    if IWB ends up being determined as CC.
    well, I think it's obvious, it would be CC for CPL's in a CC free zone as well.

Post imported post

good point

Post imported post

It sounds as though the transportation clause is being addressed in the current court case. I had wondered when that clause might be addressed in a way which would jeopardize OC. Its wording has always made me a bit uneasy.

Unfortunately, our direct resource of online MCL statutes does not provide access to the volumes of case law and court opinions which make up the balance of our legal standing as we live it.

Thanks for the advisory, dougwg.

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA

Post imported post

I thought it was if you had CCW you can go from CC to OC at any time. Meaning OC with a coat over it but can take of coat in public area. Right???? This is what I have been doing.

As one law doesn't say it over rules on another one! I understand the pistol free zones are a different animal.

Thanks for the heads up as I was using a IWB holster with shirt behind the grip. Every little showed but I thought it was said...

If anyone can say "I can see a gun" then it was Open Carry.

Post imported post

First I don't want to seem like a hard ass here but we must STOP USING THE TERM CCW when referring to a CPL (concealed Pistol License)

They are NOT the same thing.

That being said, if you have a CPL you can go from CC to OC at any time except in the "pistol free zones" where you better damn well be sure it is clear that you are "open carrying". As such I would suggest that if you plain to carry in a PFZ that you do not use an IWB and make sure your clothes do not cover the firearm or holster at any time.

Until we get black and white "LAW" not opinion on the PFZ's I suggest avoiding these places. I'm only suggesting, I'm NOT telling you what to do.

How's that old saying go.... "A word to the wise..."

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Sorry to go off topic for a second, but what exactly is a CCW anyway?
    United we STAND!

Post imported post

CPL [carry concealed pistol] Michigan =permit =$ =shall issue=privilege .................................................. .................................................. ............CCW [concealed weapon Laws] Michigan = Restrictions ,definitions and points of law.........Open Carry =Right [ age ,Legal firearm and Confusion on Many points of law [ some legal some NOT],

Post imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
    Sorry to go off topic for a second, but what exactly is a CCW anyway?
    If I remember correctly, CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) is what the CPL used to be called. I may be wrong, so if I am, please keep the flaming to a minimum
    The only terrorists I see nowadays are at the Capital.

The statements made in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of OCDO or its members.

Post imported post

Yes it used to be called that but now it just means "carrying a concealed weapon" which is a felony.

You don't want a CCW

You do want a CPL

Post imported post

CCW as a felony is not just restricted to pistols. The concealed carry ofany weapon listed in the statute risks a felony charge.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:

DO NOT USE A IWB (INSIDE THE WAISTBAND)HOLSTER WHILE OPEN CARRYING.

IF YOU TRANSPORTING YOUR GUN, ONLY GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO PRIVATE PROPERTY USING A DIRECT ROUTE AND THEN BACK TO YOUR HOME.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO THE GAS STATION AND THEN SOMEWHERE ELSE, GO HOME AGAIN BEFORE GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE.

ok guys... i'm confused by this.
    first, i do not have my CPL yet.
    i do not have an IWB, but I was going to use a hip holster for my S&W .357 while I go to Macomb County this coming weekend.

But, I'm seeing the above saying I must do direct from my place to place down there, then back up home.

In reality, I planned on going to my gf's, then to her boss' work party, back to her place for the weekend, then back home on sunday sometime.

I thought our law said something to the effect we can transport our pistol for lawful purposes?

Can this be cleared up? It's giving me second thoughts on OC'ing for the first time right now.

Thanks!

Post imported post

I PM'ed you

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA

Post imported post

Ivery oldCPL an it was called a CCW when I got it. I have seen places have changed it to CPL. I will be renewing soon.

Hunting bad gun laws from Harbor Springs, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Unfortunately, Viper, I'm afraid that it means exactly what you think it does, which is why I am not presently OCing (also no CPL.) It's a ridiculous problem with MI's firearms code, which IMHO needs to be fixed ASAP.

"For lawful purposes" allows you to possess the weapon in your vehicle, but it must be unloaded. So I guess theoretically you could just unload it until you get where you're going, but that's a lot of unloading/reloading and it could present an issue in its own right because of the handling ("brandishing" is a common way gun-haters like to try to get us in trouble), not to mention safety. Also, if you do elect to go this route, be sure to put the ammo in the trunk or some similar place where it is not readily accessible from the interior of the vehicle. Anti-gun law people at all levels have been known to interpret ammo within reach as close enough to "loaded" and made trouble for people.

Bottom line, we need to get rattling Lansing ASAP! This has gone on long enough. I'm going to post a thread soon about a rally (series of rallies?) in Lansing for gun rights. Look for it.

Hunting bad gun laws from Harbor Springs, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    One of our members is being charged with 2 FELONY counts in Wayne county because of this.

I also hope more people will come out to support him when the time comes. He's being railroaded and if convicted he will have a felony record for the rest of his life. He's only 21.
    OK, how do we do that? Can we get details of the hearing/trial/whatever and what you suggest we do to support him?

Post imported post

I may be thought a radical for this advise but here goes.

"I exercise my 4th & 5th amendment rights

Post imported post

The very most important thing demonstrated here, I think, is to avoid telling an overly inquisitive cop anything other than you absolutely need to.

Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Don't volunteer any information, whether suspected of a crime or lies, the proof is the burden of the law/court

Post imported post

For some of those who haven't been here long, here is an excellent video that further discusses how one should handle interactions with the police.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02514885833865
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

This is a fantastic video. I received a link to it in an e-mail a while back, and sat down to watch the entire thing in one sitting. It is long, but fascinating, and eye-opening.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Post imported post

That was really good, thanks for posting it.
    live every day like its your last cause one day you will be right

Post imported post

DrTodd wrote:
    For some of those who haven't been here long, here is an excellent video that further discusses how one should handle interactions with the police.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...02514885833865
    very good video. But also watch the Police side of it also, there's a part 2 to that.

Post imported post

This is the whole video including both parts.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6646&hl=en

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast