• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Until futher notice

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

If you do not have your CPL

DO NOT USE A IWB (INSIDE THE WAISTBAND)HOLSTER WHILE OPEN CARRYING.

IF YOU'RE TRANSPORTING YOUR GUN, ONLY GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO PRIVATE PROPERTY USING A DIRECT ROUTE AND THEN BACK TO YOUR HOME.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO THE GAS STATION AND THEN SOMEWHERE ELSE, GO HOME AGAIN BEFORE GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE.

EXAMPLE:

HOME>TARGET>HOME>WALMART>HOME>BURGER KING

One of our members is being charged with 2 FELONY counts in Wayne county because of this.

I also hope more people will come out to support him when the time comes. He's being railroaded and if convicted he will have a felony record for the rest of his life. He's only 21.

joshuaeberly

imported post

dougwg wrote:

DO NOT USE A IWB (INSIDE THE WAISTBAND)HOLSTER WHILE OPEN CARRYING."
I would like to add. if you DO have your CPL, and are in a Concealed Carry free area (see the back of your license).

also do NOT use an IWB while open carrying in these locations.
if IWB ends up being determined as CC.
well, I think it's obvious, it would be CC for CPL's in a CC free zone as well.

Hcidem

imported post

It sounds as though the transportation clause is being addressed in the current court case. I had wondered when that clause might be addressed in a way which would jeopardize OC. Its wording has always made me a bit uneasy.

Unfortunately, our direct resource of online MCL statutes does not provide access to the volumes of case law and court opinions which make up the balance of our legal standing as we live it.

Thanks for the advisory, dougwg.

M16a2

Farmington,Port Huron,Waterford MICHIGAN, , USA
imported post

I thought it was if you had CCW you can go from CC to OC at any time. Meaning OC with a coat over it but can take of coat in public area. Right???? This is what I have been doing.

As one law doesn't say it over rules on another one! I understand the pistol free zones are a different animal.

Thanks for the heads up as I was using a IWB holster with shirt behind the grip. Every little showed but I thought it was said...

If anyone can say "I can see a gun" then it was Open Carry.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

First I don't want to seem like a hard ass here but we must STOP USING THE TERM CCW when referring to a CPL (concealed Pistol License)

They are NOT the same thing.

That being said, if you have a CPL you can go from CC to OC at any time except in the "pistol free zones" where you better damn well be sure it is clear that you are "open carrying". As such I would suggest that if you plain to carry in a PFZ that you do not use an IWB and make sure your clothes do not cover the firearm or holster at any time.

Until we get black and white "LAW" not opinion on the PFZ's I suggest avoiding these places. I'm only suggesting, I'm NOT telling you what to do.

How's that old saying go.... "A word to the wise..."

:)

taxwhat

imported post

CPL [carry concealed pistol] Michigan =permit =$ =shall issue=privilege ................................................................................................................CCW [concealed weapon Laws] Michigan = Restrictions ,definitions and points of law.........Open Carry =Right [ age ,Legal firearm and Confusion on Many points of law [ some legal some NOT],

Tucker6900

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:
Sorry to go off topic for a second, but what exactly is a CCW anyway?
If I remember correctly, CCW (Carry Concealed Weapon) is what the CPL used to be called. I may be wrong, so if I am, please keep the flaming to a minimum :)

viperar15

imported post

dougwg wrote:

DO NOT USE A IWB (INSIDE THE WAISTBAND)HOLSTER WHILE OPEN CARRYING.

IF YOU TRANSPORTING YOUR GUN, ONLY GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO PRIVATE PROPERTY USING A DIRECT ROUTE AND THEN BACK TO YOUR HOME.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO GO FROM YOUR HOUSE TO THE GAS STATION AND THEN SOMEWHERE ELSE, GO HOME AGAIN BEFORE GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE.

ok guys... i'm confused by this.
first, i do not have my CPL yet.
i do not have an IWB, but I was going to use a hip holster for my S&W .357 while I go to Macomb County this coming weekend.

But, I'm seeing the above saying I must do direct from my place to place down there, then back up home.

In reality, I planned on going to my gf's, then to her boss' work party, back to her place for the weekend, then back home on sunday sometime.

I thought our law said something to the effect we can transport our pistol for lawful purposes?

Can this be cleared up? It's giving me second thoughts on OC'ing for the first time right now.

Thanks!

EdifyGuy

Hunting bad gun laws from Harbor Springs, Michigan
imported post

Unfortunately, Viper, I'm afraid that it means exactly what you think it does, which is why I am not presently OCing (also no CPL.) It's a ridiculous problem with MI's firearms code, which IMHO needs to be fixed ASAP.

"For lawful purposes" allows you to possess the weapon in your vehicle, but it must be unloaded. So I guess theoretically you could just unload it until you get where you're going, but that's a lot of unloading/reloading and it could present an issue in its own right because of the handling ("brandishing" is a common way gun-haters like to try to get us in trouble), not to mention safety. Also, if you do elect to go this route, be sure to put the ammo in the trunk or some similar place where it is not readily accessible from the interior of the vehicle. Anti-gun law people at all levels have been known to interpret ammo within reach as close enough to "loaded" and made trouble for people.

Bottom line, we need to get rattling Lansing ASAP! This has gone on long enough. I'm going to post a thread soon about a rally (series of rallies?) in Lansing for gun rights. Look for it.

EdifyGuy

Hunting bad gun laws from Harbor Springs, Michigan
imported post

dougwg wrote:
One of our members is being charged with 2 FELONY counts in Wayne county because of this.

I also hope more people will come out to support him when the time comes. He's being railroaded and if convicted he will have a felony record for the rest of his life. He's only 21.
OK, how do we do that? Can we get details of the hearing/trial/whatever and what you suggest we do to support him?

conservative85

imported post

I may be thought a radical for this advise but here goes.

"I exercise my 4th & 5th amendment rights

Michigander

imported post

The very most important thing demonstrated here, I think, is to avoid telling an overly inquisitive cop anything other than you absolutely need to.

conservative85

imported post

Don't volunteer any information, whether suspected of a crime or lies, the proof is the burden of the law/court