• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC report from this morning in Cary

abbradsh

imported post

My brother and his gf were in town for the New Years weekend and were preparing to leave today. He lives in the Western part of the state and had heard about the laws here in Cary so he asked me to OC with him instead of concealing. We were both dressed well and I was carrying a G19 and he was carrying an SP101. We went out to grab some breakfast at Bruegger's in Preston Commons. It was very busy when we arrived and we immediately got some stares and attention from the guy I later found out to be the manager.

It took a while for the gf's to decide what they wanted so we were standing at the counter for a few minutes. One lady asked my brother if it was legal to "do that" and he told her it was and that we were licensed to carry concealed as well. She smiled and seemed content with that answer. We then got to the counter to pay for our bounty of bagels. The manager was at one of the registers and asked if my gun was real (I was half expecting him to ask me to leave or for him to call the cops at that point due to the look on his face) . We told him it was and he asked if we "were allowed to have those in there". We told him that it was legal and left it at that.

We then sat down to eat and finished our bagels with no other confrontations. It ended up being just another uneventful OC experience.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

lol I LOVE that question.."is that real?!". That's when I resort to one word answers...I don't want to confuse them too much...

Is that real?? Yes. Oh..umm..is it loaded? Yep. Wow...are you a cop? No. Oh! umm..soo, are you in the military? Nope. Oh... :D

JohnHoliday

imported post

haha, I was carrying last night, and some girl in our group said something to the effect of "you don't carry it loaded, do you?"

I replied "no, I just plan on throwing it at someone if I need to use it"

abbradsh

imported post

If I managed a place of business I don't think I would make a habit out of asking anyone carrying a gun if it is real.

the managers eyes looked about like this :what: .......I don't think they experience OC in that Bruegger's/Caribou coffee too often, hopefully they are a little more at ease with the idea now

BMW Racer

imported post

abbradsh wrote:
If I managed a place of business I don't think I would make a habit out of asking anyone carrying a gun if it is real.

the managers eyes looked about like this :what: .......I don't think they experience OC in that Bruegger's/Caribou coffee too often, hopefully they are a little more at ease with the idea now

Good report.

Yes, I'm sure you'll see Obama t-shirts in that Bruegger's ALOT more often than someone oc'ing.

;)

AndrewGWU

imported post

You did take your brother to a pretty liberal place forhis first time OCing ;)

Flyer22

imported post

JohnHoliday wrote:
haha, I was carrying last night, and some girl in our group said something to the effect of "you don't carry it loaded, do you?"

I replied "no, I just plan on throwing it at someone if I need to use it"

:D

I've always liked the way that Rudyard Kipling put it in Kim: "Of what use is an unfed gun?"

mrmagooo13

imported post

I'm new to the whole idea of open carry. Just to be sure, it's completely legal in all food establishments unless they serve alcohol or have a sign on the door indicating no weapons, correct?

BMW Racer

imported post

mrmagooo13 wrote:
I'm new to the whole idea of open carry. Just to be sure, it's completely legal in all food establishments unless they serve alcohol or have a sign on the door indicating no weapons, correct?

I'm still fairly new too. I've carried a few times and take it to work (open on the passenger seat) every day. We have a small plant in Smithfield and sometimes our Operations Manager is on a service call and the truck driver is making deliveries.

We're not in a bad area but I do feel a lot more comfortable having it here, especially if I stay late. Knowing it's completely legal is a good thing.