• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Reloading

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I just read another post having to do with cheap ammo. I want to get into reloading. I have a .45 acp and a .38 spl. I don't want to spend a lot of money, of course, and I want a lot of "bang" for my buck. Any suggestions?

Looking for reloader brands, where to aquire supplies, types of reloader, etc. I can surf the web all day, and find lots of different information, and reviews, but no personal experience.

mitunnelrat

custom.45acp

imported post

mitunnelrat wrote:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=423081
I've had this kit recommended to me by several experienced reloaders, and its what I'll be getting once I have someplace to set it up. In the meantime I got their hand press kit so I can get started.

I, too, have been recommended the above mentioned kit (Lee 90030), although, I cannot find any place that has one in stock (all on back order!) I guess that is a goodsign; that everyone else is buying them.

Also, Lee has a Anniversary reloading manual special, Modern Reloading / with a "c" press around $30-35 (plus shipping), the order number is Lee 90700. It's something I purchaseduntil I can find the Anniversary Breech Lock Challenger kit, which happens to come with everything except the dies and the components, such as; bullet, powder, primer and case. I've heard these are great starter kits, not a Dillion but good enough for a novice reloader. When my manual and press arrive I will be sure to convey any information I can, to assist you.

Well, good luck in your search.

Custom.45acp

joshuaeberly

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
I just read another post having to do with cheap ammo. I want to get into reloading. I have a .45 acp and a .38 spl. I don't want to spend a lot of money, of course, and I want a lot of "bang" for my buck. Any suggestions?

Looking for reloader brands, where to aquire supplies, types of reloader, etc. I can surf the web all day, and find lots of different information, and reviews, but no personal experience.

need more info. how much shooting do you do?? thousands of rounds a month? hundreds? less than a hundred?
how much money exactly do you have to spend?
do you have any rifles that you would want to reload for (your cost savings are much greater reloading rifle ammo than handgun)
are you looking for high precision? is accuracy and consistency a primary focus, or are you happy with hitting a pie plate at 20 yards?

all of these questions must be weighed when determining which reloading system to get.
as for brand. LEE, LEE, LEE you'll get the best value for your money.
fill in the other info, might be able to steer you.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
Taurus850CIA wrote:

need more info. how much shooting do you do?? thousands of rounds a month? hundreds? less than a hundred?
how much money exactly do you have to spend?
do you have any rifles that you would want to reload for (your cost savings are much greater reloading rifle ammo than handgun)
are you looking for high precision? is accuracy and consistency a primary focus, or are you happy with hitting a pie plate at 20 yards?

all of these questions must be weighed when determining which reloading system to get.
as for brand. LEE, LEE, LEE you'll get the best value for your money.
fill in the other info, might be able to steer you.
Thanks, guys. I'll be looking at what's posted already.
1.Less than a hundred/month
2.I have considered a c-note to spend on a press.
3.I have a .22, and I'm pretty sure it's not feasible to reload for that! Beyond that, I only have shotguns.
4.Pie plate is fine. I like to play a little, and have shot my hi-point at targets 60 yards away with pretty fair results, but I'm not looking for match grade stuff.
Consistency, however, is important. It has to go bang every time.
I haven't really pursued reloading much, because I suspect that my habits would not yield much in the way of savings. If it does, I'll be shooting more. Of course, if I get into reloading, it would probably CAUSE me to go shooting more!

joshuaeberly

imported post

100 bucks, if you're looking in that area, check out.

http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/anivers.html

for the small volume of reloading that you are talking about, this would probably be the closest to perfect for you.

I will say however, that once you start reloading, you will start shooting more, and you will want to upgrade to a progressive reloading station.
the reason I asked about the rifle is that if you will ever want to reload rifle ammo, you want this press, not a progressive one, as you're likely to break your bench, and or jam a progressive press when reloading rifle ammunition, as it takes much more torque to size the cases.

so in short, follow that link, in my opinion, that's what you want.

Michigander

imported post

I'd suggest going to Cabellas so that everything is right in front of you, easy to look at.

I highly suggest the Hand Press system by Lee. It's cheap, and it works well. No need to mount them anywhere, and they are easy enough to work with.

If .45 ammo is 30 bucks per hundred from the factory, and 100 bucks per thousand reloaded, the savings are easy to imagine. You save even more if you get into casting your own bullets.

If you know what you are doing, it is not hard, nor is it expensive to get into reloading. If you get a less expensive press, it can pay for itself in 2 range outings, or even 1 if you shoot a lot. You can make accurate, reliable and consistent ammo much easier than a lot of people would think.

Here's what I would suggest you get

A Lee Hand press, it will cost about 30 dollars

Lee Carbide dies, that will be about 30 bucks per set

Lee case trimmers, and a primer pocket cleaning tool, but the primer tool I think comes with the press. This will cost probably under 10 dollars

A tumbler of the cheapest type you can find, they all work. A cheaper but harder method is to soak the empties in mineral spirits then steel wool them off, but you can probably get a tumbler for under 40 bucks.

That's all you need, except the components.

This is the system I use, and it has probably saved me a grand in the past year. For under a hundred dollars, I don't think you can get much more bang for your bucks.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

My uncle reloads extensively for his shotguns. Once in a while, he gets a dud. How often do you reloaders get those for your pistol ammunition?

custom.45acp

imported post

Taurus850CIA

Check out you tube - reloading. There are plenty of instructional videos to watch to get a bird's eye view of what it's like to reload ammunition. In fact, I believe, I seen one guy load 100 rounds in a little over 6 minutes.

Custom.45acp

Michigander

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
My uncle reloads extensively for his shotguns. Once in a while, he gets a dud. How often do you reloaders get those for your pistol ammunition?
Anymore, never. Properly store your primers, inspect all your components, and after loading polish and weigh all ammo. With a little knowledge, if you follow those steps and properly reload you ammo, you will have ammo at least as reliable as factory ammo.

Hcidem

imported post

I picked up the Lee Challenger Anniversary kit mentioned above several months ago. I have been very happy with it.

I only reload for my 9mm loads at present. I have been purchasing bullets, but plan on casting my own beginning this winter.

I don't bother shining up the brass, and it works just fine.

custom.45acp

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I only reload for my 9mm loads at present. I have been purchasing bullets, but plan on casting my own beginning this winter.

I assume the 9mm is for an automatic. Did the set come with the factory crimp them? Or, does the bullet seater crimp it enough for an automatic? I compete with a .38 super, will be reloading shortly for the first time and am wondering if I actually need the factory crimp? Where did you purchase the Challenger kit? It seems that they're all on back-order at every place that I look.

Thanks,

Custom.45acp

Hcidem

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
I assume the 9mm is for an automatic. Did the set come with the factory crimp them? Or, does the bullet seater crimp it enough for an automatic? I compete with a .38 super, will be reloading shortly for the first time and am wondering if I actually need the factory crimp? Where did you purchase the Challenger kit? It seems that they're all on back-order at every place that I look.

Thanks,

Custom.45acp

Yes, my set-up is used for a 9mm luger semi-auto pistol. I purchased it from MidwayUSA at the end of September '08. I purchased the 4-part die set which included the factory crimp.

I had read through the information I could find at Lee Precision on their products, and was led to believe this would provide a more uniform hold on the bullet. I use it each time I reload so I cannot comment on any difference without it. I bought it knowing I'd definitely want it later if I decided to enter competitions in the future.

The factory crimp seems to produce a slight chamfer on the leading edge of the brass. I expect this might assist my pistol in chambering each cartridge.

I selected the hand-held auto primer over the style which could be mounted to the press after reading a few product comments over the merits of each system. I also purchased the breech lock quick change collets - I highly recommend these for any single-stage press.

I also picked-up "Modern Reloading, Second Edition." Most of the information in this book is available elsewhere, but reading it confirmed my knowledge and built my confidence as I approached my first reloading session.

I think some of these items had been on backorder when I placed my order. I was in no particular hurry to receive them. If there had been backorder status, I don't recall this as everything arrived rather promptly. I expect the present social concerns made these products highly desireable during the holiday season.

Have fun reloading.

ghostrider

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
Hcidem wrote:

Thanks,

Custom.45acp
I called Lee on this just to be sure. The bullet seating die that comes with the three-die, handgun, die-sets does a roll-crimp on the bullet. Because of this, the factory crimp die is not necessary, but it seems most like to use them.

Hcidem

imported post

ghostrider wrote:
I called Lee on this just to be sure. The bullet seating die that comes with the three-die, handgun, die-sets does a roll-crimp on the bullet. Because of this, the factory crimp die is not necessary, but it seems most like to use them.
This rings a bell with me. I probably read it in their literature somewhere...sometime. This is probably just one of those overkill steps my detail-orientation requires of anything I do...just because.

custom.45acp

imported post

So, anyone want to share recipes for .38 super, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP? I've heard good comments about the Hornady HAP bullets for reloading, especially for competition.

9mm/.40 are for Glocks and the .38 is a non-ramped 1911 and .45s areramped 1911s.

Custom.45acp

ghostrider

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
ghostrider wrote:
This rings a bell with me. I probably read it in their literature somewhere...sometime. This is probably just one of those overkill steps my detail-orientation requires of anything I do...just because.
I believe it might be mentioned in Lee's reloading manual, "Modern Reloading", by Richard Lee.

ghostrider

imported post

custom.45acp wrote:
So, anyone want to share recipes for .38 super, 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP? I've heard good comments about the Hornady HAP bullets for reloading, especially for competition.

9mm/.40 are for Glocks and the .38 is a non-ramped 1911 and .45s areramped 1911s.

Custom.45acp
Have you checked the reloading manuals?

There are a lot for 9mm. I've not done the other, but you can always check the powder manufacture websites.

Lee has a good manual, but there are others that are just as good. I suggest you read Lee's book just because it's only one of the many good books to start with. You can also pick up reloading books that are caliber specific.