• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

93 year Old Amateur Radio Operator killed in home invasion

wardog6d

Banned
imported post

Very sad story. I know its off topic but just in case there are any Amateur radio operators in the group...

93-year-old man killed in home invasion
Thursday, January 1, 2009

Walter Farley/K4QE
Walter Farley's body was found Thursday morning by his son and daughter-in-law.

POLK COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- A 93-year-old man was found dead Thursday morning after an apparent home invasion, the Polk County Sheriff's Office says.

Walter Farley's body was found at around 9:15 a.m. at his residence, 7931 Indian Heights Drive in Lakeland.

Walter's son, Robert Farley, and daughter-in-law left at around 5:30 p.m. Wednesday to go to a New Year's Eve party at the Red Rose Inn in Plant City. The couple spent the night at the hotel. When they returned home they found that there had been a home invasion and that Walter had been shot to death.

Robert and his wife had been staying with Walter for the past four years to care for him.

The family's neighborhoods describe Walter as a good man who was still active in the neighborhood.

"We always saw him outside pulling weeds. We'd always say hi," said neighbor Sase Singh. "Our kids went to their house trick or treating, very friendly guy in the neighborhood."

Sheriff Grady Judd calls the homicide a senseless act of violence.

"This was a good solid man in the community. Even though he was 93 he was still active in the Kathleen Historical Society," Judd said. "He was a ham radio operator, he knew Morse code and he was one the community could always depend on to help out in any event."

Judd is calling on the community to help solve the crime. He says investigators don't have a lot to go on. They're not sure how many people they're looking for or what kind of car they were driving.
More Information

Detectives say fireworks could have masked the sound of gunshots.

"I was out here last night," Singh said. "We had a party and we didn't hear anything."

Anyone with any information or that saw anything suspicious on or near Indian Heights Drive between 5:30 p.m. Dec. 31 and 9:15 a.m. Jan. 1 is asked to contact the Polk County Sheriff's Office at (863) 534-6200, or to remain anonymous and be eligible for a cash reward, call Heartland Crime Stoppers at 1-800-226-TIPS.