• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Northern California 2009

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

To ring in the New Year, I broke my dry spell and invited a friend to lunch today. This friend is aware of my activities, they howeverare not able to participate in open carry activism.

It is also notable that the frequency of burglary and robbery has recently increased according to local news.

I carried my Ruger P-89, magazine in the well,12031 compliant in a level three retention holster strong side. Weak side I carried two loaded magazines as well as my digital recorder. I was dressed casually- too casually to be mistaken for a professional. (Knit sweater, Dickie's work jeans.)

I first stopped at Kent's Market to top off my fuel. Went inside an waited in line a substantial amount of time as customers entered and exited nearby. I paid cash and fueled up without receiving looks or comments.

I drove to Applebee's where I met my friend and we gave his new ride a looksee before we went in. It was at the top of the lunch hour and the place was crowded. Despite this we were seated promptly after walking past about half the patronage. No one seemed to notice. We ate, paid and as we were on our way out a couple of patrons stepped in while we held the doors- and a half dozen or so on their way out took advantage of our hospitality. Only comments received were 'thank you's' for holding the door.

I asked my friend if anyone seemed to notice or care- he affirmed my conclusion. No one noticed, no one cared, or they had deduced that I was somehow 'authorized'.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
. I was dressed casually- too casually to be mistaken for a professional. (Knit sweater, Dickie's work jeans.)

, or they had deduced that I was somehow 'authorized'.

You were authorized.

And dressed like that, it's good that you were armed. A good hillbilly might have wanted to slap you around for dressing like a dandy in that area:p

Justice76

imported post

Just trying to be clear, you said, "magazine in the well." Does that mean you had an unloaded magazine loaded into your gun and then more loaded magazines also on your belt?

camsoup

imported post

Glad to hear your back to OC'ing

I have started to with a little more frequency. Mostly to and from the field hunting.

It doesn't help that to drive down the road into town I have to pass within 1000 feet of 2 schools. My wife always wonders why I have to take the long way around and I remind her....remember PC 626.9, "oh yea, the school thing"

JBURGII

imported post

If I had been more aware of the law and OC movement I would have carried while I lived in Red Bluff. Although it was a real pain I lived out past the Fairgrounds right past the school.. I miss Red Bluff, really liked it there.. too bad it is in Cali.. sigh..

J

"All hail J! All hail J!"

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

I am m the sacramento area and I have never had a problem when I am OC. I dont do it so much in town but in the country and smaller towns it seems to be much more accepted. I am new to this website,obviously, and its very well set up and there is a lot of very good information on it. You guys are all doing a very good thing.

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
And dressed like that, it's good that you were armed. A good hillbilly might have wanted to slap you around for dressing like a dandy in that area:p
Dandy? No, that's only when I wear the Hawaiian shirt.

Justice76 wrote:

Just trying to be clear, you said, "magazine in the well." Does that mean you had an unloaded magazine loaded into your gun and then more loaded magazines also on your belt?
Yes, that is correct. Empty magazine in the well. I think this accomplishesa fewthings. 1) The weapon is fully assembled- noessential part seperate from the firearm to be construed as a concealed weapon.2) It keeps dirt from getting inside. 3) It maintains the illusion that the weapon is ready to fire.

oilfieldtrash11 wrote:
I am m the sacramento area and I have never had a problem when I am OC. I dont do it so much in town but in the country and smaller towns it seems to be much more accepted. I am new to this website,obviously, and its very well set up and there is a lot of very good information on it. You guys are all doing a very good thing.
Welcome to the board. I'm pleased to see that our Superior California contingent is growing. You are about the second or third OC'r that I am aware of who has open carried in Cali before knowing about OCDO. The one question I would have for such new members is "How did you come to carry exposed- how were you made aware of the limitations and legalities of exposed carry in California?... I have been fighting the presumptions of police and gun proponents that open carry is impossible or illegal in California- and to hear that there are those who without the benefit of this website prior to their activities is rather surprising. I'd like to learn more- in perhaps another thread...

cato2

imported post

camsoup wrote:
Glad to hear your back to OC'ing

I have started to with a little more frequency. Mostly to and from the field hunting.

It doesn't help that to drive down the road into town I have to pass within 1000 feet of 2 schools. My wife always wonders why I have to take the long way around and I remind her....remember PC 626.9, "oh yea, the school thing"
LOL (or cry out loud actually), those school kids have been made sooooo much safer since the law keeps you 1000' away and have to drive the longway around. I'm sure that law will single handedly stop any school shootings. I wonder why it doesn't work as well in LA asit doesin your county? :banghead:

oilfieldtrash11

imported post

well i actually found out about this website from a cork board i happened to see. it was something i knew about and wanted to see what this website was all about. i just cant seem to understand why LEOs are making something legal such a big deal. i had asked my dad, who is an LEO and KNOWS the OC laws, a few months prior to seeing the posted letter. and he explained what was legal and what isnt. thats how i ended up here probably confusing but im tired and thats the best i can explain it at this time haha.