• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

FYI for all you West End alcohol purchasers...

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

I rarely if ever buy alcohol but the other night we were having a little get together so I wanted to pick up some beer.

I went to the Village Fine Wine & Cigar Shop on Three Chopt/Patterson. Its in the Village Shopping Center. I've walked past it 100 times and always knew it to be a fairly good sized liquor store although I never went in.

So I walk in, and I was CC'ing as I do most of the time. When I walked in, I noticed right away that the store was ALOT smaller than I thought it was. Thereason?

The business split and redesigned themselves a bit. Half the store is the Village Fine Wine liquor store. The other half, now separated by a wall but with a doorway between the 2, is the Magnolia Wine Bar and Bistro. I made my purchase and walked out and took note that the2 business, although connected internally, maintain separate outside doors, business names, etc.

So, my take (IANAL)is that if you enter the liquor store portion, CC should be fine as always. If you choose to wander through the doorway, you would need to switch to OC.

Any other places like this in Richmond? I guess you could consider Bass Pro/Islamorada Restaurant the same way.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As you noted, they(Village Fine Wine & Cigar Shop/Magnolia Wine Bar & Bistro, and Bass Pro Shops/Islamorada)are two separate facilities with a connecting passageway. That keeps them in line with the ABC regs on where the boundaries are for consumption on premises.

You are also correct that once you cross the line between one and the other you need to change from CC to OC.

From past posts re: Wegman's in NOVA (grocery store that has a wine bar area) it pays to keep your eyes open for these new combinations. IIRC the wine bar area in Wegman's is not clearly marked off from the rest of the store, but I'll wager that if you drifted too far "out of bounds" someone would come after you to return you to the corral. The problem for those that choose to CC is that they may not be aware of crossing into the corral until it is too late.

I think there are some sports bars in the West End that have "game rooms" that are separate from the club area, but I can't recall which ones. Best bet is to look for teens/youth playing there - they can do that because they are not in the ABC-licensed area.

stay safe.

skidmark

some verb

imported post

This is kind of a related topic that I was unsure about when it came up with some friends yesterday. In places like stadiums (specifically, I was wondering about salem avalanche games) where they serve alcohol, but aren't really a restaurant or club, is CC a no-go?

I wonder this too because last season I saw a younger guy confronted by staff and what I think was a salem officer about his openly carried handgun, and I'm pretty sure it resulted in him being asked to put it in his car. I didn't get to catch up with him, so that's just speculation, but that's how it appeared to happen.

hsmith

imported post

some verb wrote:
This is kind of a related topic that I was unsure about when it came up with some friends yesterday. In places like stadiums (specifically, I was wondering about salem avalanche games) where they serve alcohol, but aren't really a restaurant or club, is CC a no-go?

I wonder this too because last season I saw a younger guy confronted by staff and what I think was a salem officer about his openly carried handgun, and I'm pretty sure it resulted in him being asked to put it in his car. I didn't get to catch up with him, so that's just speculation, but that's how it appeared to happen.
some verb, your best bet would be to search the ABC License website and see if they have a valid "restaurant license" http://www.abc.state.va.us/licenseeSearch/jsp/controller.jsp

Renegade

imported post

Funny but this reminds me of a legal battle a local adult club (Jiggles :shock:) had back in Erie, PA.

The town passed an ordinance stating that dancing was no longer permitted where alcohol was served for consumption. Jiggles built a wall between the dance floor and bar and put a door in there. Patrons would drink on one side, and walk through the door to the other for the show.

At one point it was legal to BYOB and watch the show but if you wished to purchase you still must enter the bar side. Strange.

In the end the case went before the Supreme Court of the United States. The owners insisted that it was a First Amendment issue since the dance was a form of communication between the dancer and the patron.

In closing, I would assume, as a layman, that if you CC in the side that sells you are fine. If you pass through that door into the area where consumption is permitted, OC would be necessary.

Would most agree?