• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Seeing a family member incarcirated

nking

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Well my little brother couldn't stay out of trouble and has been locked up in a rehabilitation facility in Breckenridge, and nope i have no remorse for him but he wants me to come visit him, my question is this. Oh the place is called "Walker Sayle" I've looked online as and havent been able to find any info forbidding me of carrying my firearm with me. Now i know i can't take it in but i was wandering can they stop me from having it in my car because i don't like to travel without it as i am sure most of us hear do not, but thats my question. I'm hoping ya'll can help answer this because i really don't want to call untill i exaust all my other resources.

KBCraig

imported post

Sayle Unit, Texas Department of Criminal Justice, Institutional Division.

General Information Guide for Families of Offenders, page 5:

Search of Visitors and Vehicles: Visitors and their vehicles can be searched before entering the unit. Any visitor refusing the search procedure will have to leave the property. All visitors will be screened by a metal detector prior to visiting an offender. Cash (except coins), alcoholic beverages, tobacco, cell phones, drugs, firearms, escape implements, or dangerous weapons are strictly prohibited by statute and TDCJ rules and policies.

Note that the rules for entrance for visiting are not the same as the rules for the parking lot. TDC and/or Sayle Unit might or might not deny entrance to the parking area based on a handgun in the car; if they do, that exceeds their statutory authority, but you're not going to win the fight at the gate.

I suggest calling the unit, and phrasing the question like this: "When I come for a visit, how do I secure my handgun before I enter the grounds? Do I need a lock box, or is locking it in the trunk good enough?"

rodbender

imported post

You will not win the battle at the gate. You may win in court while trying to obtain a return of your CHL.

From the Texas Penal Code

b)A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(3)on the premises of a correctional facility;

(3)"Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.