• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thoughts for public relations

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I've seen and heard a word flying around here that undoubtedly makes it harder to convince the general public of our safe and benign intentions. Many members here are currently or formerly members of one form of military establishment or another. I want to take the chance to thank each and every one of you for your service and sacrifice to make this country what it is today. One of those members is my brother-in-law. He informs me that while in the military, any reference to a gun using any other word than "weapon" is strongly discouraged, and the user brow-beaten, until it is second nature to use only that word. Many people outside the military branches use the word weapon as second nature,as well, just because it is so common to do so. When in the military, a person is trained to use firearms as weapons. That is what the military is for, to deploy against whatever threat our gov't deems necessary. Soldiers train extensively to use many different firearms for the specific use of killing enemy forces. That is what a weapon is for. The word itself conjures up visions of aggressiveness and anger. It's definition is very broad, and can cover many things, but most of society has a fairly narrow view of what a weapon is. . I would like to propose that we try NOT to use it, instead using words such as "handgun", "pistol", "revolver", or "firearm". One of the very first reasons listed on this site to carry a firearm openly is that its visibility stops crime. At that point, it is a tool used for deterring a crime. It does not have to be drawn and have the trigger pulled in order to be used. Another reason to wear it in the open is to educate the general public about the legality and relative safety of carrying a gun. Once again it is not drawn, nor has the trigger been pulled, in order to be used. We are civilians, and citizens, and use and carry it as a tool. In the unfortunate circumstance that an armed person is attacked, it CAN be drawn and used as a weapon, but until it IS drawn, it is simply a tool. If a person were to get close enough to me that I could not draw my firearm to defend myself, anything and everything I can get my hands on will become a weapon for my self defense. That could be a butterknife, a rock, a stick, a purse (or murse!), etc. You get my drift. Bottom line is, words can be used to soothe the savage beast, and if our "tools" for defense are referred to enough as such, it can help to turn the tide in our favor. This is nothing more than a suggestion, so flame away if you must, but my gun will not be referred to as a weapon in public until it is drawn and used as one. Thanks,

Taurus850CIA

edit for spelling

joshuaeberly

imported post

good call. it's a habit I've been trying to break, but on the other hand.
more dirty words.
pistol
handgun
firearm

perhaps we should all call our sidearms(yes another dirty word) last ditch personal preservation implements.

not a flame at you, an attempt at a perfect level of PC

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Firearm, sidearm. I think you see why these can't be dirty words! ;) Pistol, revolver, gun, handgun. These can't be dirty either, cuz that's what they are. I hate PC, for the record. That's a brilliant attempt at perfection, even though simply by being pc, it can't be perfect. :D

Michigander

imported post

The side effect of educating people is nice, but the primary purpose for my Sig is to stop bad guys if they attack me. I have no problems with calling it a weapon, because that is what it's there for. We cannot kid ourselves, we cannot politically correct ourselves up. We carry our guns to neutralize threats, which if done properly will probably kill. But no one other than an attacker is in danger from us, because we carry safely, legally, and responsibly. That is why it's okay, that is why it's a good idea. Not because of the words we want to call our guns.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Eons ago, humans picked up a branch and used it as a club for dispatching game in order to eat, or use it in their defense in the case of attack. Now, I use one (as a bat) every time I try unsuccessfully for a triple or a home run when I step up to the plate. I would also not hesitate to use it for my own defense if I had to, though that's not it's primary purpose. Knives have a long history of being used for "evil" purposes, as well as tools for the dressing of game, the preparation of food, cutting rope and fishing line, the list goes on and on. Now, they are in EVERY kitchen in EVERY home, and despite the number of knife related slayings, school yard slicings, home invasions, muggings, rapes, thefts, etc., they are accepted by the general public as a common tool. I recieved one as a gift from my Grandpa when I was 7. Today, even that would be frowned upon. My point is, society has been, and continues to be, fed garbage by the media and the uninformed that guns in society are evil weapons intended solely for the purpose of killing people. This is just not true. Even here in this forum, the mindset runs rampant, showing the extent of the damage. I have used my guns many, many times, and have not killed or even wounded a SINGLE PERSON. They give me pleasure when I use them for target practice, they help me to aquire food to put on my table, they give me relaxation when I clean and care for them, they DO deter crime on the street when they are carried in the open, and they spur conversation from interested people with the final result of education, all without having been used as a weapon. It is NOT a weapon until drawn and used as such, the same as the knife on the same belt, or the fists at the end of my arms. If we are going to get our way, society needs to be retrained to see that our firearms are not the killing machines that they have been brainwashed to believe, they are tools for many other uses. Everyone here understands the responsibilty they undertake by strapping one on, knowing the result of improper use, and the consequence of using it to take a life to defend their own or another. Yes, that is huge, it is something that must be considered gravely, but we have to reverse the brainwashing, the lies, the mindset of society if we are to be successful.

Hcidem

imported post

I typically avoid using the word "guns." I find it inaccurate since it originally described non-rifled firearms.

I also hesitate to use it because antis prefer the word. I see this as reserving it for their exclusive use. Instead, I think I gain a small advantage in perspective by using a more accurate word such as pistol, rifle, or shotgun. I hope to gain the confidence of my audience by using these more specific words. My audience might perceive me as being more knowledgeable, and thereby more reliable a source of valid information, than one who uses a general word such as "gun."