• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defending our rights in 2009

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I think this looks great and will work out fine. I regret making a few late minute comments, but here they are anyway.

We within MOC understand the nature of the OCDO forum threads. We know where we can go to pick a fight, and we know where we can stay to keep on track with open carry issues. The general public (including legislators, the press, and/or the antis) might get the wrong impression about us sincehttp://www.miopencarry.orgleads directly to this forum. They might be unable (or unwilling) to form an opinion of us being a reasonable group if they were to wander through OCDO. Should we consider deleting the web link?

Additionally, I am very thankful that Gun Owners of America has endorsed our efforts. I am concerned about us risking that relationship by using their logo beyond the limits they permit their members/affiliates. Are we certain that they would consider the inclusion of their logo in this communique as acceptable use?
The Michigan Representativefor GOA has allowed us to use it. I use it in my power point talks on OC as well as our own logo. I'm also a member of GOA. I think we are fine with using the logo.

EdifyGuy

Hunting bad gun laws from Harbor Springs, Michigan
imported post

If the building opens at 8:00, I'll do my best to be there by 8:00, but I might be late, because if I really pour on the coal it will take not much less than 4 hours from where I live. I'll get as early a start as I can. I don't want us to miss anybody. However, if not everyone can be there that early, I understand.

How many copies of the letter should I bring? I need to know the number of senators and representatives, and we should also plan to include the speaker, governor, and anyone else we can think of. A number by 5:00 today would be great, but if I can't get one, I'm sure 200 would cover it, right? (I confess I have no idea how many legislators there actually are in Lansing. But I used to know the Federal numbers. :D

Dress warmly, as it will be nasty cold tomorrow. That should make an impression on the legislators, too! (But I wonder who I can borrow a "dead sheep" hat from........)

Anybody want to bring a camp stove and serve hot chocolate and pamphlets? :D

Actually, that'd be a great idea, if someone wants to do it. (I don't have the equipment.) I'll print the pamphlets, if someone brings the cocoa stuff.

Venator

imported post

EdifyGuy wrote:
If the building opens at 8:00, I'll do my best to be there by 8:00, but I might be late, because if I really pour on the coal it will take not much less than 4 hours from where I live. I'll get as early a start as I can. I don't want us to miss anybody. However, if not everyone can be there that early, I understand.

How many copies of the letter should I bring? I need to know the number of senators and representatives, and we should also plan to include the speaker, governor, and anyone else we can think of. A number by 5:00 today would be great, but if I can't get one, I'm sure 200 would cover it, right? (I confess I have no idea how many legislators there actually are in Lansing. But I used to know the Federal numbers. :D

Dress warmly, as it will be nasty cold tomorrow. That should make an impression on the legislators, too! (But I wonder who I can borrow a "dead sheep" hat from........)

Anybody want to bring a camp stove and serve hot chocolate and pamphlets? :D

Actually, that'd be a great idea, if someone wants to do it. (I don't have the equipment.) I'll print the pamphlets, if someone brings the cocoa stuff.

Are you driving from Harbor Springs? Man that's a ways. Are you planning on staying outside all day? It may be better to just try and deliver the letters to all the reps and Senators and meet with your own Rep and Sen. Make sure they will be there tomorrow.

You will be able to go inside the building to get warm from time to time.Guns are allowed in the building, but I don't think they are allowed on the REP or SEN floors or in thepublic gallery.

I think it is 110 representatives, 38 senators.

It looks like only about two or three people are planning on going.

EdifyGuy

imported post

That does sound like the best way to deliver the letters. I would be willing to do that.

Yes, being outside was the plan, but it might be necessary to rotate in and out of a vehicle/the lobby to keep from freezing to death, although it's not supposed to be windy, so if we just dress warmly, we should be OK. I've been in 3 layers of clothes for awhile now......

Yes, I'm coming all the way from Harbor Springs; you just now looked to see where that was, didn't you? :D It's paradise, man......

Venator

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:
Great work, I hope all goes very well tommorrow.

Here is a link to the lates revision of the brochure: http://home.comcast.net/~gosirr/Brochure10-29-08a.doc

The brochure looks great Jeff.

Is there any way to add page numbers below the column's so the reader(s) do not get thrown off track?
You tri-fold it, there's not too much trouble reading it then.

Venator

imported post

EdifyGuy wrote:
That does sound like the best way to deliver the letters. I would be willing to do that.

Yes, being outside was the plan, but it might be necessary to rotate in and out of a vehicle/the lobby to keep from freezing to death, although it's not supposed to be windy, so if we just dress warmly, we should be OK. I've been in 3 layers of clothes for awhile now......

Yes, I'm coming all the way from Harbor Springs; you just now looked to see where that was, didn't you? :D It's paradise, man......
I saw what you posted under your screen name, I just thought you might be in the area for business or pleasure. That's a long way to deliver an intro letter when it could be done on-line.

Yes it's a great area. I grew up in TC and would get to Harbor Springs and Petoskey from time to time.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

I am working tomorrow, so I can't make it. Why not show up looking nice and dressy, with one unobtrusive sign. Then, in the foyer, you can peacefully and quietly make your introductions and chat with those legislators who are interested. Might be a more professional appearance for 3 or 4 people, and might be more well received.

Just a thought.

EdifyGuy

imported post

Venator wrote:
EdifyGuy wrote:

I saw what you posted under your screen name, I just thought you might be in the area for business or pleasure. That's a long way to deliver an intro letter when it could be done on-line.

Yes it's a great area. I grew up in TC and would get to Harbor Springs and Petoskey from time to time.
No, this could not be done online. We are going there to put feet to our wishes and show our legislators that we are real people who are willing to stand up for what we believe in, not just hide behind a computer screen somewhere and make big statements.

I hope that next time around we will be in much greater force, but simply having a group (albeit a small one) of people who are dedicated enough to get in the car and show up for what they believe in, on a weekday, potentially in the cold, speaks volumes.

EdifyGuy

imported post

JeffSayers wrote:

Here is a link to the lates revision of the brochure: http://home.comcast.net/~gosirr/Brochure10-29-08a.doc
Uh-oh.....my 3rd-party Office-like program misformats that....can you make a PDF of it? If you don't already have a program to do it, go to www.sourceforge.net and search for "pdfcreator" (one word, no quotes) to download a great free utility to do it.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EdifyGuy wrote:
JeffSayers wrote:

Uh-oh.....my 3rd-party Office-like program misformats that....can you make a PDF of it? If you don't already have a program to do it, go to http://www.sourceforge.net and search for "pdfcreator" (one word, no quotes) to download a great free utility to do it.
Edify try this:

SpringerXDacp

imported post

EdifyGuy wrote:
That'll work just dandy. I'm thinking of making 250—plenty for each of the legislators with plenty left for other passers-by. More? Less? (Less is pointless; I know that they will find homes one way or the other)
Extra copies can be distributed among the MOC'ers at future OC events.