• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man protects women and Children in Magna from 2 pitbulls, with a hand gun.

Bennelli

imported post

I just heard some radio annoncements so I do not know the whole story, can some one fill me in?

A man see 2 pitbulls chasing after a Pregnant women and her 2 kids, gets the dogs to chase after him. He shoots both dogs. Was he open carry or was he concealed? Was he in his yard went into the house to get a gun?

Some one fill me in with details, thanks,

scorpioajr

imported post

Bennelli wrote:
... Some one fill me in with details, thanks,
Here ya go bro:

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=5207584&autostart=y

Man shoots and kills 2 pit bulls January 1st, 2009 @ 9:30pm By Alex Cabrero Some of the video may be consider graphic.
Two dogs were shot dead this afternoon. The shooter claimed they posed a threat to himself and another family.
A pregnant mother and her two young boys said they were about to get bit by those two dogs. Now, the owner of the dogs is facing charges for letting them run free through a Magna neighborhood.
Jeanna Peterson was giving her children a bath when she heard what turned out to be the end for two pit bulls. "He said he shot the first dog point blank between the eyes. The other dog he shot twice," Peterson said.
Peterson said he told her the dogs were chasing a family as they were getting in their car, and he basically coaxed the dogs to go after him.
When deputies from the Salt Lake County Sheriff's Office arrived, they talked to the man, heard his side of the story and decided not to charge him with anything. Instead, deputies believe he may have saved that family from getting attacked.
Salt Lake County Deputy Debi Wilkinson said, "We concluded the investigation and determined he was justified due to the fact that he [the dog] posed a threat to innocent civilians."
Peterson said she has seen one of the dogs roaming the neighborhood on several occasions. In fact, she claimed one time it came after her. She said, "It actually did chase me into my car once, and I had my two little kids with me. So yeah, that dog was a hazard dog."
The bodies of both dogs were taken back to their owner. He is now charged with two counts of allowing his dogs to run loose and two counts of his dogs attacking.
Wilkinson said, "If people feel threatened by any type of animal and it's running at large, they are justified in shooting. If they feel threatened, they're totally within their rights to protect themselves and innocent people."
The family that claimed it was being attacked didn't want to talk to us, neither did the guy who pulled the trigger.
We also tried to talk to the owners of the dogs, but they wouldn't comment either; however, someone claiming to be the dogs' owner posted a message on our Web site saying those dogs would never attack someone.

rds801

imported post

Back when I was in high school, I was leaving a friends house one night on my bike, not bothering a soul. A neighbors dog ran up to me and bit me. It wasn't a bad bite but the dog did bite me. I didn't provoke the dog in anyway. I was riding down the driveway and when I got to the end of the driveway the dog just ran over to me. Guess what the owner of the dog said? He tried to accuse me of bothering the dog in some way and said the dog wouldn't just bother someone without being provoked. I tell my kids....All dogs bite! Some are just nicer than others.

I'm glad that guy was there to help out that family.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

As reported over on the Deseret News (http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,705274549,00.html) the shooter was probably not carrying earlier when the dogs chased him into his own home.

When he came out to go looking for them he was clearly armed.

Good outcome. But a good reminder that just because we are in our fronts yards (or even inside the home) doesn't mean we won't have need of our self-defense.

Charles

PikesPeakMtnMan

imported post

When I was a delivery driver I was told many times by customers that their dog doesn't bite, I always asked if the dog had teeth....when they said yes I told them that the dog can bite!

I've been bitten/nipped and chased by all sorts of dogs/breeds.

Just goes to show that you'll never know when you might need to use your weapon, even in defense of others.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

He didn't say your avatar looked like a ghost, he said he thought he saw a ghost.

There is another member here called nitrovic who uses the same avatar.