• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in National Parks?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
I agree with your reading of the wording, but I'm not an enforcer or a prosecutor.
Who wants to be the test case? :celebrate
And I am not the judge.

Now if I could be guaranteed a jury of my peers..........

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

On a related note, did VA ever change the rule about State parks and not being able to Open Carry in them?

I know we can CC in them without issue.

If VA has not, then in VA I would think we would be able to CC in National Parks but not OC.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

After I get done with my current legal battle I might just do it. . . Haha....

But out of curiosity, what would the possible punishment be? I mean, am I still only subject to the state punishment then or federal?

Tomahawk wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
In my reading of this the operable word is "may."

"may possess, carry, and transport concealed, loaded, and operable firearms within a national park area in accordance with the laws of the......"

May possess.
May carry and transport concealed
Operable = not broken down.

Nothing that I read indicates must possess, must be concealed or must be operable.

If taken individually (they are parallel terms) it is the same as if the word "may" preceded each condition i.e. "may possess, may carry, and may transport concealed...."

Nothing therein requires you to possess. Nothing requires you to carry. Therefore nothing requires you to conceal insofar as you are in accordance with the laws of the particular state. Would seem to me that OC will be legal within National Parks in Pa.and Va.

Just my take on it - we shall see.

Yata hey

I agree with your reading of the wording, but I'm not an enforcer or a prosecutor.

Who wants to be the test case? :celebrate

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Theseus wrote:
After I get done with my current legal battle I might just do it. . . Haha....

But out of curiosity, what would the possible punishment be? I mean, am I still only subject to the state punishment then or federal?

SNIP...
OOOHHH, It is definitely a FEDERAL matter of you break the law in a National Park. Lose your case and you win an all expenses paid trip to a FEDERAL residential facility of someone else's choice.

RayBurton72

imported post

I was on the outer banks shortly before Christmas and visited the Wright Brothers Memorial (National Park Service).

At the gate house I asked the ranger about the new carry rules and asked if they were in effect.

He said they had been briefed on them, and we operating under the understanding that it was now (as of that date) legal to carry with a CHP in the park. So I did.

Pretty obvious he didn't like the rule (kept mentioning problems with poachers and such), but made it clear I was good to go there.

possumboy

imported post

This is a double post, but this thread is better.

Can someone provide the link to the comments? I found this:

The NRA-backed rule enjoyed plenty of controversy: During the public comment period, 73 percent of the 140,000 respondents opposed the rule change. A recent survey of BACKPACKER readers in June chimed in with similar results: 74 percent opposed allowing guns in national parks.

Was it really 73%? I read a lot of them and most for carry. Or did they get last minute comments against it because they extended the period?