• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defending our rights in 2009

joshuaeberly

imported post

how many states currently allow this???? do they have problems? why restrict my rights when no solid factual evidence supports it?
didn't michigans new self defense law extend the "castle doctrine" to motor vehicles? why is it that your car is your home for self defense purposes, but not for carry purposes?

Hcidem

imported post

I know that one of the first issues that would have to be addressed is road rage. There were a good number of road rage shooting incidents beginning in the 1990's which are not long forgotten by the public.

I expect that the CPL requirements satisfied legislator's concerns regarding transporting loaded pistols in vehicles. The first step in loosening the restrictions might be exchanging another form of restriction which will be more palpable to legislators than totally unrestricted transportation.

joshuaeberly

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
I know that one of the first issues that would have to be addressed is road rage. There were a good number of road rage shooting incidents beginning in the 1990's which are not long forgotten by the public.

I expect that the CPL requirements satisfied legislator's concerns regarding transporting loaded pistols in vehicles. The first step in loosening the restrictions might be exchanging another form of restriction which will be more palpable to legislators than totally unrestricted transportation.

I will never, voluntarily, accept another form of restriction. I will push for unrestricted transportation, lobby for unrestricted transportation, and will never offer a compromise. if my only option is to accept a compromise offered by the opposition, then fine, but gosh-ding it. this here is the USA. we've got a RIGHT to keep and bear, and i'm sick and tired of COMPROMISING my rights. that's where the NRA has gone wrong, they're so busy trying to keep funding flowing, and trying to be PC they have compromised way too much the last 20 years or so. it's time for us to stop the tide of compromise.

Hcidem

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
I will never, voluntarily, accept another form of restriction. I will push for unrestricted transportation, lobby for unrestricted transportation, and will never offer a compromise. if my only option is to accept a compromise offered by the opposition, then fine, but gosh-ding it. this here is the USA. we've got a RIGHT to keep and bear, and i'm sick and tired of COMPROMISING my rights. that's where the NRA has gone wrong, they're so busy trying to keep funding flowing, and trying to be PC they have compromised way too much the last 20 years or so. it's time for us to stop the tide of compromise.

...you go, xd-40. Go get 'em!

It cannot see how initially offering a compromise would be in our best interests. I just know that road rage will be one of the issues the opposition is likely to mention.

The high road on this would probably be to consistently stay on message regarding the laws we already have in place to address the criminal use of firearms and the ineffectiveness of transportation laws in reducing criminals from transporting firearms. This law has clearly been another step toward criminalizing acceptable behavior. We just need to convince our legislators of this fact.

steve

imported post

This law only works for law abiding citizins, It's like the saying "locks only keep honest people out".

just because us law abiding citizens have our side arms unloaded in the trunk well out of reach don't mean that ol billy there don't have his .40 in his seat waiting to shoot somebody and/or rob/carjack somebody and with our firearms so far away what can we do other then get shot and to add insult to injury lose our vehicles, money and what not's.

and as far as roadrage goes, yea there have been alot of roadrage shootings BUT there has also been alot of road rage hit and runs, fights, objects thrown how are they stopping those road rage actions?