• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defending our rights in 2009

joshuaeberly

imported post

registration: first, we attempted to do away with this last session, it was hijacked, and the only good things that came of it are.
1) now they call it registration, instead of "safety inspection" we've forced them to be a teensy bit more honest about it.
2) you can now register through the mail, rather than making the extra trip down to the PD.

I've been told that the MSP was behind the elimination of the registration requirement, because it caused such a backlog of paperwork, cost so much money, and DOES NOT SOLVE OR PREVENT CRIME.

if anyone has a cite for that, I have not seen it, but have heard it, so if someone has the cite, please feel free to post it for me.

so, I think that to get rid of the requirement, all we have to do is get it introduced, preferably by a friendly Dem. (not to get partisan here, but we can agree that overwhelmingly dems are anti, and rep are pro) get the MSP to weigh in heavily, and we DO NOT present it as a gun rights issue, we present it as a way to decrease the waste of precious funds on programs that are nothing but bottlomless money pits.

what do you guys think??

Hcidem

imported post

I like the value vs. cost argument. I think this type of argument will continue to be more convincing in the coming years.

I also like the idea of it being sponsored by a friendly Democrat. When I lived in Ypsilanti, politicians ran as a Democrat if they really wanted to win. Here where I live in Rockford, politicians run as Republicans if they really want to win. I'm sure we could find someone to fit the need.