• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah CHL Course

Glockguy

imported post

Soo Im gonna be talking the Utah CHL Course here soon Which allows you to Conceal carry in more then 20 state i believe, but of course does not include Oregon... So I was just seeing if anyone else would be interested in taking it as well.. its. $65.25 for the class...

Go to this site to see what state they are:

http://www.myutahccw.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of that site to see the map

Parapacker

imported post

Where are you taking the class? There is going to be one coming up in the Eugene area soon.

Thanks!

adamsesq

imported post

I'd be in for a class up in the Portland area (westside?) if anyone is putting one together.

-adamsesq

adamsesq

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
Puddin99 wrote:
I'm not trying to over take GlockGuy's thread, but I took a class here for the PDX area.

http://www.gunsmartfirearmtraining.com/CHL.html#ut_or
My wife and I have been planning to head out to his class on the 17th. We'll see how it goes.

Sorry GG for jumping on your thread too. Just talked with wifey and we are going to try and take the 17th as well.

-adamsesq

Glockguy

imported post

geeez shooot me down guys:( lol im jk... I didnt realize how many people were already takin it..... But thats good... the more the better:)

adamsesq

imported post

Glockguy wrote:
geeez shooot me down guys:( lol im jk... I didnt realize how many people were already takin it..... But thats good... the more the better:)

Actually it was your post that inspired us! We would not have taken the class if I had not seen it.

-adamsesq

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Sorry GG for jumping on your thread too. Just talked with wifey and we are going to try and take the 17th as well.

-adamsesq
My wife said she will try to wear one of her "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" t-shirts to the class :celebrate.

adamsesq

imported post

So anyone else from here going to be there this weekend?

-adamsesq (who now knows what "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" means thanks to Google!)

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Bad news. The instructor, Roger Moore, of http://www.gunsmartfirearmtraining.com does not allow firearms in his class. In fact, if he sees that you have one he will ask you to leave.

It also sounds like he is against open carry, "...gun should only be seen at that moment when the criteria for legal self defense has been reached..."

I guess I'll just have to rely on adamsesq (or anyone else) to be packing concealed. I really should have checked on this before today :(.

Here is my email request:
On Jan 16, 2009, at 5:01 PM, "" wrote:

Hi Roger,

I just noticed that you prefer we don't bring firearms?

I normally carry everywhere, practice proper safety, have a retention holster (SERPA), and never touch my firearm when about my daily business.

Would you mind making an exception?

Thanks!

""​
And Roger's response:
My standard policy is that there are no guns that I do not control in the class. It is a matter of liability, nothing personal.
I do not strip search people. However, if I see someone's gun in the class the person will be asked to leave. If the ammunition makes it into my firearms, that person will be prosecuted and held both criminally and civilly liable for any damage or harm caused.
Please recognize that it is also my belief that people that have concealed carry permits are generally going to be more responsible than the average person and recognize that most of them will recognize that their gun should only be seen at that moment when the criteria for legal self defense has been reached. Therefore, I doubt the aforementioned scenarios will happen.Keeping students' guns out of the classroom is just one less thing for me to worry about though.​
And my final reply:
Roger,

Thanks for the quick response. I understand that it's nothing personal, though out of pure curiosity I have to wonder how you are liable for a privately held and legally carried firearm?

I will be unarmed since that is your request. I would carry concealed, as it seems you are OK with that as long as it is done properly (kept hidden), however my Washington CPL isn't valid here. That's one of the reasons I'm taking your class!

Again out of curiosity, do you require your customers to be unarmed during private sessions (when you teach at their home)? I ask because I will likely be referring my Washington friends and family to you, and would like to give them as much information as possible.

Best regards,

""

P.S. We made it safe and sound down I-5. Thank goodness the water receded in time!

Glockguy

imported post

Id Tell him to suck it and that You'll go somewhere else... Hes a CHL Instructor For Peets sake... Kinda weird but who knows... I take mine from a guy here in albany... and I OC in his Gun Store all the time... As a matter The Owner of the store i go into OC's a full size 1911 while hes working.. just my thoughts...

adamsesq

imported post

Diesel (and his beautiful wife) and my beautiful wifeand I all attended this class today. It was good to get out of the way and will be nice to have the permit once it gets here.

The four of us then had a great open carry dinner at Red Robin at Clackamas Town Center. Great company. Good food and absolutely uneventful carrying wise. What wonderful people he and his wife are!!!

As to carrying in the class. The instructor was clear as per the emails above that he would ask you to leave if he saw any carrying. Frankly it made perfect sense to me. There were times in the class that he was showing defensive moves, draws, etc. with members of the class. There was also gun handling as part of the requirement of the class. We were in a hotel conference room with almost no appropriate security for weapon handling (although he did have 2'x2' balistic panels at which for us to practice keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.) I believe it totally appropriate for him to be able to KNOW that if he SAW a gun anywhere in the classroom it was one that he had brought, had total control over and was unloaded. He never did ask anyone if they were carrying and he never did have any problem with open/empty holsters.

This was a class that was specifically on getting a Utah CONCEALED weapons permit - it was not a class about carrying in general. It was also not a class about things that you could do without the permit. He shared some opinions about the benefits of completely concealing your weapon and all of those benefits were accurate. Although both Diesel and I would have liked to have seen Open Carry discussed a bit more in general this class was not about that and the instructor did okay with it, never actually giving anything negative about open carry or worse, anything false.

Maybe there are better ones out there, I don't know, but I would recommend this class to others wanting their Utah permit.

-adamsesq

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

adamsesq wrote:
Diesel (and his beautiful wife) and my beautiful wife ...
Hear hear!

As adamsesq stated, the class was uneventful

The OC dinner at Red Robin went well, as expected. I sat with my strong side toward the aisle, and though a few families took a second look nothing was said. I have to say that the trip down to Oregon would have been worth it just for the company at dinner. adamsesq and his wife have some great stories to tell, and are a pleasure to be around.

I will second the recommendation to attend the class (with the caveat that one be prepared for Mr. Moore's apparent belief in the superiority of CC). It's great to get it out of the way.

ETA:
Mr. Moore used me and my empty Serpa to demonstrate retention holsters to the class. Afterward he explained to them how common it is for a weapon to be taken from a LEO, even though they wear special retention holsters like mine. During the next break I asked him if he had ever seen or heard record of a OC'ing LAC being preemptively disarmed. His response, was that any incidents might simply not be on record. I do hope that he considered my point.

EETA:
I forgot to mention that I've had no issues unloaded OC'ing at our hotel in Portland, "The Nines". The valet got a very good look at my sidearm, as I had to retrieve it from the dashboard to place it in my OC holster as he was holding the door open (Can you say "awwwkward"?).

The bell hop asked the reason for our trip. After I replied, "Training", he asked, "What kind". I finally said, "Firearm training", and he stopped talking altogether :p.

Glockguy

imported post

Me, My Girl and her friend Went into Taco Bell Last night and Got Some food.. and ate inside... none of the workers noticed i was OCing or didnt seem like it... but i swear everyone in there eating just stared... It was seriously like a dude checking out a hot girl and always getting caught in the act, They'd be looking at me and id look up an they'd turn away... the i look again and wat do u kno... they are all lookin at me again... lol... kinda odd really... I kinda expected to Cops to show up... but they didnt

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Glockguy wrote:
Me, My Girl and her friend Went into Taco Bell Last night and Got Some food.. and ate inside... none of the workers noticed i was OCing or didnt seem like it... but i swear everyone in there eating just stared... It was seriously like a dude checking out a hot girl and always getting caught in the act, They'd be looking at me and id look up an they'd turn away... the i look again and wat do u kno... they are all lookin at me again... lol... kinda odd really... I kinda expected to Cops to show up... but they didnt
Hot girl syndrome...? Lol.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I have been emailing back and forth with Mr. Moore. He doesn't seem to think that any explanation of the legality of open carry is prudent for his students. Even regarding the aspect of accidental display, or printing.