• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Everyone needs to respond to this Daily Pravda article!

Renegade

imported post

"The homicide rate on the Peninsula was down in 2008, but our cities' gun culture still takes a horrific toll on young people. The most significant decline occurred in Newport News: It had 16 homicides last year, down from 28 in 2007."

http://tinyurl.com/7qh9xl

I am responding right now!

Renegade

imported post

Here is my contribution:

------------------------------------------------------------

Let’s be honest – comparing data from one year against data from another year and attempting to draw any sort of inference would have you laughed out of freshman statistics. Trends in crime data are best viewed when looking at 5-10 year lengths of time.

Here are some examples:

Guns sales rise as crime and accident rates fall.

Roughly 50 million new guns have been sold to Americans since 1998 bringing the total number of guns owned to approximately 300 million (reference U.S. Department of the Treasury and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms). Nearly every state has right to carry laws allowing citizens to lawfully carry a concealed firearm with ten states joining since 1998 (reference National Firearm Association).

Crimes involving firearms are down nearly 10% nationwide since 1998 (reference Federal Bureau of Investigation). Suicides committed with firearms are down 2% since 1998 (reference Center for Disease Control and Prevention). Accidental firearm fatalities are down over 20% since 1998 which represents an all time low. The most significant reduction in accidental firearm fatalities is show in those 14 years old and under with a reduction of over 50% in accidents (reference National Safety Council).

Less than 1% of all fatal accidents involved firearms. Over 75% of all fatal accidents involve automobiles, poisoning, and falls. Accidental firearm fatalities continue to have the largest percentage decrease of all the measured types of accidental fatalities (reference National Safety Council).

Daily Press…you should be ashamed of yourself.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I sent correspondence to the notoriously anti-gun Daily Press asking for clarification on their facts.

The article states that there were 16 homicide victims but the link provided for "2008 Homicides" list 39 victims with only five (5) under 18yo. I would hardly call this "horrific" - sad maybe but not an epidemic.

Where is the correlation between the 16 figure and the 39 shown on the supportive page?

Yata hey

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Renegade wrote:
"The homicide rate on the Peninsula was down in 2008, but our cities' gun culture still takes a horrific toll on young people. The most significant decline occurred in Newport News: It had 16 homicides last year, down from 28 in 2007."

Is this not the same area where Danbus is OCing a lot? Hum ...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Renegade wrote:

Is this not the same area where Danbus is OCing a lot? Hum ...
Peninsula = Newport News, Hampton as well as a few bedroom communities.

Yes if I remember correctly, Dan had one of his "events" on a City of Hampton public bus.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
I sent correspondence to the notoriously anti-gun Daily Press asking for clarification on their facts.

The article states that there were 16 homicide victims but the link provided for "2008 Homicides" list 39 victims with only five (5) under 18yo. I would hardly call this "horrific" - sad maybe but not an epidemic.

Where is the correlation between the 16 figure and the 39 shown on the supportive page?
Apparently the Daily-Press has chosen to ignore/not respond to my email to them. Am I surprised? Not really.

Yata hey