• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Peace Love and Chocolate" organizer requested pro-gun speaker on Feb. 21, 2009

George Washington

imported post

This is an e-mail I recently received.

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.washingtonceasefire.net from:Yichuan Zhao zhao.yichuan@gmail.com

Hi,I'm a member of the King County Housing Authority's AmeriCorps team. We are planning on hosting an event called Peace Love and Chocolate Feb. 21, 2009 at Greenbridge in the White Center Community. The goal of our event is to help promote peace through the community. We are planning on setting it up like a fair where there will be booths and also having a speaker. We are wondering if you would be interested in having a booth and/or having somebody come and speak. Our target audience is mainly the youth of the community, we are hoping to attract 100 kids ranging from elementary school to high school to attend our event. If you are interested please let me know. Thank you.

Please feel free to speak at this event.

heresolong

imported post

Send a speaker anyway. A perfect opportunity for someone to stand up and talk to the kids about the Second Amendment and the universal right to self defense.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

lol....I didn't think about that, I bet they were looking for the other washington ceasefire.....yep someone should go... and educate some younglings.

BobR

imported post

Grab a booth, stock it with pro 2A pamphlets, educate them younglings.

Have someone with a video cam close by for when they eject you, peddle it to the local news.

bob

TechnoWeenie

imported post

I will SOoooooo take off work/schedule off to be there as a reasonable voice advocating gun safety education/awareness.

grishnav

imported post

heresolong wrote:
Send a speaker anyway. A perfect opportunity for someone to stand up and talk to the kids about the Second Amendment and the universal right to self defense.
I wasn't suggesting we shouldn't... just expect:

1. Them to be surprised
2. Some sort of action from the other Washington Ceasefire (See?! Them using our name is confuzzling people. GOBERRMENT PEOPLE WITH GUNS MUST BE SENT TO SMASH THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WANT TO BAN GUNS!)

Thundar

imported post

You should respond with a very polite letter that confirms your attendance and your agenda - firearms laws - gang violence - gun attitudes - etc. etc. Just do not get specific. If we could find aspeaker that has lost a loved one to violence and believes that self defence is good, then you could have a very powerful message of self reliance and taking responsibility to deliver.

joeroket

imported post

Thundar wrote:
You should respond with a very polite letter that confirms your attendance and your agenda - firearms laws - gang violence - gun attitudes - etc. etc. Just do not get specific. If we could find aspeaker that has lost a loved one to violence and believes that self defence is good, then you could have a very powerful message of self reliance and taking responsibility to deliver.
Geez. If I was able to take the time off from work I would have done it. I lost an uncle to suicide by a rifle and my dad to murder with his service revolver, he was an SPD officer in the 80's. I would probably be one of the better candidates to speak on our behalf. Maybe if there is a next time I will be able to do it.

Tawnos

imported post

joeroket wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Geez. If I was able to take the time off from work I would have done it. I lost an uncle to suicide by a rifle and my dad to murder with his service revolver, he was an SPD officer in the 80's. I would probably be one of the better candidates to speak on our behalf. Maybe if there is a next time I will be able to do it.
Would have done it? It's in february! Still time to figure out the pesky details and prepare/practice a speech.

joeroket

imported post

Tawnos wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Thundar wrote:
Would have done it? It's in february! Still time to figure out the pesky details and prepare/practice a speech.
Nah it's not that. It is the fact that I burned almost all of my sick leave and some of my vacation dealing with pinched nerves in my upper back in November/December. I just can't afford to take more vacation until it is time for vacation. Otherwise I would have jumped at the chance.

jbone

imported post

heresolong wrote:

That's right! we need educated them withthe truth before the Anti's fill their little heads with, truth, lies and half lies (propaganda).

sudden valley gunner

imported post

George Washington wrote:

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.washingtonceasefire.net from:Yichuan Zhao zhao.yichuan@gmail.com

Hi,I'm a member of the King County Housing Authority's AmeriCorps team. We are planning on hosting an event called Peace Love and Chocolate Feb. 21, 2009 at Greenbridge in the White Center Community. The goal of our event is to help promote peace through the community. We are planning on setting it up like a fair where there will be booths and also having a speaker. We are wondering if you would be interested in having a booth and/or having somebody come and speak. Our target audience is mainly the youth of the community, we are hoping to attract 100 kids ranging from elementary school to high school to attend our event. If you are interested please let me know. Thank you.

It would be good to have a pro 2nd ammendment speaker, at this event. I could be wrong but this couldbefor poorer kids, I grew up in enviroments like this...hud housing , projects etc. Most kids learn about guns the wrong way in these type of areas.By the time I was 11 I could get a gun if I wanted. All it took was money. I was lucky enough that I had a freind who didn't live in the projects who's father took me under his wing a little, when I was 8. He got me a .22 and taught me gun safety and would take me and my buddy grouse and rabbit hunting. He had firearms pistols, rifle and shotguns all over the house but he had taught us a healthy fear or I should say respect for guns, and we were never tempted to touch or play with them. And why should we when we could take our .22's and go spelunking any time we wanted. It ended up most the time we would want to play star wars, or build tree forts. But it's a fact boys are facinated by guns, and without education about them is whensomeone gets hurt.Why not go show them how they make our neighborhoods safer in the right hands.Teach them the 4 rules of what to do when around or using a gun.I know for sure it probably be the most popular booth with young boys and a good chance to teach them a lot about guns from gun owners, not the propaganda they hear in school, t.v., or liberal single moms, before anyone takes offense Iam speaking from experience. But as someone pointed out there probably isno way they willlet a pro 2aperson speak at this event.

joeroket

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
George Washington wrote:

It would be good to have a pro 2nd ammendment speaker, at this event. I could be wrong but this couldbefor poorer kids, I grew up in enviroments like this...hud housing , projects etc. Most kids learn about guns the wrong way in these type of areas.By the time I was 11 I could get a gun if I wanted. All it took was money. I was lucky enough that I had a freind who didn't live in the projects who's father took me under his wing a little, when I was 8. He got me a .22 and taught me gun safety and would take me and my buddy grouse and rabbit hunting. He had firearms pistols, rifle and shotguns all over the house but he had taught us a healthy fear or I should say respect for guns, and we were never tempted to touch or play with them. And why should we when we could take our .22's and go spelunking any time we wanted. It ended up most the time we would want to play star wars, or build tree forts. But it's a fact boys are facinated by guns, and without education about them is whensomeone gets hurt.Why not go show them how they make our neighborhoods safer in the right hands.Teach them the 4 rules of what to do when around or using a gun.I know for sure it probably be the most popular booth with young boys and a good chance to teach them a lot about guns from gun owners, not the propaganda they hear in school, t.v., or liberal single moms, before anyone takes offense Iam speaking from experience. But as someone pointed out there probably isno way they willlet a pro 2aperson speak at this event.
That is exactly it. Don't make a firearm a forbidden evil to a child. Educate them and teach them responsibility and respect for the firearm. It might be exactly what these kids need to hear. Even if only one listened and learned it is well worth it.

cynicist

imported post

You should respond with a very polite letter that confirms your attendance and your agenda - firearms laws - gang violence - gun attitudes - etc. etc. Just do not get specific. If we could find a speaker that has lost a loved one to violence and believes that self defence is good, then you could have a very powerful message of self reliance and taking responsibility to deliver.

My wife lost a cousin to some hoodlums and another one recently to suicide (believed to be- strange circumstances) but don't think she'd be able or willing to speak on the matter.

I think there ought to be more emphasis on gun safety, and how this holocaust of accidental gunshot deaths are caused by lack of proper treatment of guns. Not saying leave out self defense, but if you start off more on a somewhat agreeable level with them, they're more likely to have a positive afterthought.