• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Peace Love and Chocolate" organizer requested pro-gun speaker on Feb. 21, 2009

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

As an individual committed to peace I believe firearms ownership to be paramount.

If they invited you, then you should show, because peaceniks who are anti-gun nullify their own purpose. Maybe you can point that out to a few.

jbone

imported post

Would this be an OC event, and would OPENCARRY.ORG founding fathers allow a team to its namesakeas an official sponsorship for the booth. Would be great exposure.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

joeroket wrote:
Thundar wrote:
You should respond with a very polite letter that confirms your attendance and your agenda - firearms laws - gang violence - gun attitudes - etc. etc. Just do not get specific.  If we could find a speaker that has lost a loved one to violence and believes that self defence is good, then you could have a very powerful message of self reliance and taking responsibility to deliver.
Geez. If I was able to take the time off from work I would have done it. I lost an uncle to suicide by a rifle and my dad to murder with his service revolver, he was an SPD officer in the 80's. I would probably be one of the better candidates to speak on our behalf. Maybe if there is a next time I will be able to do it.
Neither of those stories jump out at me as clearly showing the benefit of firearms to an audience of young children.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

cynicist wrote:
You should respond with a very polite letter that confirms your attendance and your agenda - firearms laws - gang violence - gun attitudes - etc. etc. Just do not get specific. If we could find a speaker that has lost a loved one to violence and believes that self defence is good, then you could have a very powerful message of self reliance and taking responsibility to deliver.

My wife lost a cousin to some hoodlums and another one recently to suicide (believed to be- strange circumstances) but don't think she'd be able or willing to speak on the matter.

I think there ought to be more emphasis on gun safety, and how this holocaust of accidental gunshot deaths are caused by lack of proper treatment of guns. Not saying leave out self defense, but if you start off more on a somewhat agreeable level with them, they're more likely to have a positive afterthought.
Thats what I was thinking stress the safety issues and what to do if they come in contact with a gun...and then as side points, point out the otherbenefits.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Looking at the washingtonceasefire.net website makes me think that maybe this fellow who made the invitation might know.... what the OP is about the last paragraph on his website talks about teaching kids gun safety and what to do if they find a gun.The eddie eagle program could even be appealing to anti-2a people.

I'd like to comment that it was good to see the comments posted here, people who strongly disagree on the other threads, all supported this thread, and what it could mean.

joeroket

imported post

marshaul wrote:
joeroket wrote:
Thundar wrote:
You should respond with a very polite letter that confirms your attendance and your agenda - firearms laws - gang violence - gun attitudes - etc. etc. Just do not get specific. If we could find aspeaker that has lost a loved one to violence and believes that self defence is good, then you could have a very powerful message of self reliance and taking responsibility to deliver.
Geez. If I was able to take the time off from work I would have done it. I lost an uncle to suicide by a rifle and my dad to murder with his service revolver, he was an SPD officer in the 80's. I would probably be one of the better candidates to speak on our behalf. Maybe if there is a next time I will be able to do it.
Neither of those stories jump out at me as clearly showing the benefit of firearms to an audience of young children.
I was more leaning towards the points of gun safety coupled with them being a defensive weapon when used properly.

kparker

imported post

this holocaust of accidental gunshot deaths

What "holocaust" are you referring to? Yes, every accidental death is a tragedy (and presumably could have been avoided, that's why it's considered an accident, after all)--but overall the trend in accidental shootings has been downward, not rising, even while the numbers of firearms in private hands goes up every year.

heresolong

imported post

Nitrox314 wrote:
If you guys just need someone to teach kids gun saftey, go with Eddie Eagle from NRA. Just go to the website and ask them....
Anti gunners are rabidly opposed to this program because it is put on by the NRA, even though they make no money off it and provide it as a public service. EE has been rejected by many school districts because of the sponsor. Bring it up and they start showing their true colors. They are not interested in gun safety but gun prohibition and the indoctrination thereof.