Thread: The Scholars Are Moving on 14th Amend. Incorporation

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...act_id=1322323

Its a link to a scholarly research paper. Once the page comes up, click on the "SSRN" button to down load the .pdf paper.

Its by David Hardy, attorney and 2A supporter.

Its a great paper. Here's my favorite quote from theSenate floor speech when Senator Jacob Howard introduced the 14th Amendment, emphasis mine:

To these privileges and immunities, whatever they may be – for they are not and cannot be fully defined in their entire extent and precise nature – to these should be added the personal rights guaranteed by the first eight amendments of the Constitution; such as the freedom of speech and of the press; the right of the people peaceably to assemble and petition the Government for a redress of grievances, a right pertaining to each and all of the people; the right to keep and bear arms; the right to be exempt from unreasonable searches and seizures, and from any search or seizure except by virtue of a warrant issued upon a formal oath or affidavit; the right of an accused person to be informed of the nature of the accusation against him, and his right to be tried by an impartial jury of the vicinage; and also the right to be secure against excessive bail and against cruel and unusual punishments.

David Hardy's blog is here: http://www.armsandthelaw.com/
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

For those who keep up with the decline of the 4th Amendment, take particular note of the bold-face text:

To these privileges and immunities, whatever they may be – for they are not and cannot be fully defined in their entire extent and precise nature – to these should be added the personal rights guaranteed by the first eight amendments of the Constitution; such as the freedom of speech and of the press; the right of the people peaceably to assemble and petition the Government for a redress of grievances, a right pertaining to each and all of the people; the right to keep and bear arms; the right to be exempt from unreasonable searches and seizures, and from any search or seizure except by virtue of a warrant issued upon a formal oath or affidavit; the right of an accused person to be informed of the nature of the accusation against him, and his right to be tried by an impartial jury of the vicinage; and also the right to be secure against excessive bail and against cruel and unusual punishments.

Compare to Terry vs Ohio and the cases it cites. http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/htm...2_0001_ZO.html

I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Bump for exposure, so more people can add this to their rhetorical arsenal.

The very guy who introduced the 14th Amendment wanted the 2nd Amend. incorporated.

Post imported post

Very nice find.