• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms

suntzu

imported post

I am interested in the opinions of others as to what you carry and why you choose to carry the gun that you do.

modificationvt

imported post

I alternate between my XD40SC and my GI 1911 in 45. I usually CC and I found the XD40SC did that well (especially in summer clothing) I like the XD because of its reliability, and its feel/point ability for me.

I got the 1911 because...well I wanted a 1911, and I wanted a 45...simple as that. The best reason to get any gun is "because I wanted it" both my XD and 1911 have been 100% reliable...and they both feel good on my hip.

FogRider

imported post

Around town I cycle through XD45, GI 1911 and GP100. In the woods I haul around a Mini 14. I carry the handguns because I have them, I have them because I wanted them. The Mini 14 I carry because it's a good compromise between size and power (both in caliber and in dimensions/weight).

RedKnightt

imported post

I carry a Baby Eagle in .45. I wanted something in .45 ACP, and I like that it has a little higher capacity (10+1) than an 1911 (I have one of those, too :D). It has a manual safety, is DA/SA with an exposed hammer. It's a pretty rugged gun, a proven design (based on the CZ-75), and most importantly (to me), it fits my hands very well and is very comfortable to shoot. I also really like the way it looks, but that is a very secondary characteristic for me. The after market support is not as strong. There is a laser available to fit it, but not laser grips (yet). I've seen holsters from Don Hume and Black Hills Leather, and I'm currently using a Mason-Dixon holster from Bluegrass Holsters.

Here's a review of it by R.K. Campbell:

http://www.gunweek.com/2005/feature0501.html

--RedKnightt--

Zombie Squad has it right: “We hold fast to the belief that if you are prepared for a scenario where the walking corpses of your family and neighbors are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for almost anything.”

ecocks

imported post

CZ-40, .40 S&W is the main carry. I also have a S&W Sigma 9mm (as a full-size alternative) and a Bersa .380 if I need something smaller due to clothing or other concerns.

The CZ has a 4.3" barrel and is basically a full-size frame with a shorter barrel, rather than a smaller frame with a correspondingly shorter barrel (usually 3.5"). 12 rounds of .40 plus one in the chamber are reassuring and I carry at least onespare mag in my pocket.

The Sigma is lighter both in overall weight and the smaller round.16 roundsof 9 has its own level of reassurance also. It was my first carry and I had no complaints with it just decided to move to something with more punch to it.

The Bersa .380 is smaller, lighter and I use it occasionally when I am forced to dress up a bit and not able to wear a looser work jacket. My belief is that the .380 is the minimum for self-defense.

I am intrigued by the new XD/M .40 S&W from Springfield. 19+1 rounds seems like a good thing. Need to touch one though.

Anyway, them's my thoughts.

Ed

Virginian683

imported post

ecocks wrote:
The Sigma is lighter both in overall weight and the smaller round.16 roundsof 9 has its own level of reassurance also. It was my first carry and I had no complaints with it just decided to move to something with more punch to it.

The Sigma has the most atrocious trigger I have ever felt. It must be 20 lbs. My dad got one and I saw him fire all 16 rounds at a phonebook 15 ft away and didn't hit it once. I fared a little better with it as I had more shooting experience, but I still think I'd be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn from the inside.

I gave him my Glock 19 (standard 5.5 lbs trigger), same target, same distance and he did much better (as did I).

neddis

imported post

I carry an XD45 because I only get one handgun says the wife (working on her for another). It is a mix of lightweight, reliable, and it fit my hand extremely well. 13+1 .45 doesn't suck either. :)

shad0wfax

imported post

What I carry depends on the situation.

Urban Open Carry: H&K USP Tactical (full size) in .45 ACP
Woodland Open Carry: Ruger Super Blackhawk (7.5" barrel)in .44 Magnum
Urban Concealed Carry: S&W Model 60 (J-Frame) in .357 Magnum
Deep Concealed Carry: Kel-Tec P3AT in .380 ACP (usually a backup gun or something for very hot shorts & t-shirt weather when I don't want to wear a belt).

And when I'm really making a statment I OC a Springfield Armory SOCOM 16 (16.25" barrel M1A) in 7.62x51 (.308 Win).

The reason I carry each one of these firearms is that they are (with the exception of the P3AT) incredibly reliable and in calibers that have a proven track record of ending threats quickly. (Threats vary. In a woodland setting I'm concerned with bears and growers. In an urban setting I'm not worried about bear.)

The P3AT has never demonstrated itself to be unreliable, but it is not a handgun I would want to put 3,000 rounds through. The .380 ACP is alsoon the underpowered side.

Spectre

imported post

What I've carried concealed and open:

Rossi snubbie .38 spl
Bersa Firestorm .380 acp
Bersa Ultra Compact 9mm
Beretta 92FS 9mm
S&W 1911PD .45 acp
H&K P2000 9mm
SIG P225 9mm
SIG P226 9mm
SIG P220 .45 acp
Charter Arms Undercover .38 spl
Glock 22 .40 s&w
ROMARM DRACO 7.62x39mm ;)
S&W Model 10 .38 spl
Raven Arms MP25 .25 acp (very very very few times)
Keltec P3AT .380 acp
Keltec P-32 .32 acp
Keltec P-11 9mm
IWI Baby Eagle .40 s&w
IMI Jericho 941 9mm

......I think that's everything pistol wise :lol:

Huck

imported post

Ruger GP100, 4" barrel usually loaded with .357 magnum 125 grain JSP. I sometimes pack it with .38 special +P 125 grain JHP. I find the GP100 to be a excellent revolver. Sometimes I carry my Ruger Alaskan but onlyload .45 Colt as .454 Casull kicks my butt! It too is a excellent revolver, the most solidly built one I've ever seen.

In the boondocksI ofton carry a Marlin 1895G riflein .45-70, 405 grain unjacketed flat nose. A nice compact rifle that packs a helluva wallup.

Crestliner

imported post

Limited to C.C. here in MA, I carry a .357 SP101 loaded with Gold Dots. As the ole Ranger once said, "She'll do to ride the river".

shamalama

imported post

Kel-Tec P-3AT, .380ACP, in my pants pocket.
Taurus PT-1911, .45ACP, on my hip.

The only modifications I do is to either carry the Taurus CC IWB or OC OWB, depending on what's legal in my location.

apcci2

imported post

Usually CC a Kahr P9. It is very comfortable, slim, light and most of all dependable. When I OC, it is with a S&W M&P. Caliber differs, as I have a 9mm, .45ACP and .357 Sig.

marine77

imported post

I carried for the first time today, got my gcp today after 34days.:celebrate I carry my Glock 17 in 9mm.

suntzu

imported post

Ok, so I have a question--I am looking at the XD45--it seems to feel right in my hand.

but before I do--I was wondering if anyone had ever handled the Para Ordinance series of firearms, and second--are they worth the price? I noticed one Para 45 that is over $1000--I could buy a good long gun for that type of money and a little to boot.

Gordie

imported post

Paras are definitely high quality. I own one myself, want a couple others, and know several other people with them. They don't have any problems that I am aware of. Yes, some models can be expensive, but this is the case with almost any brand. I would say that they are as good or better than Kimber. I have had less problems with finicky ammo preference from my Para than with my Kimber.

shad0wfax

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Ok, so I have a question--I am looking at the XD45--it seems to feel right in my hand.

but before I do--I was wondering if anyone had ever handled the Para Ordinance series of firearms, and second--are they worth the price? I noticed one Para 45 that is over $1000--I could buy a good long gun for that type of money and a little to boot.

Heck for that kind of money you could get a super snazzy bolt rifle and a nice scope for it. If you're thinking more of battle-rifles then you might need more, the way things are going.

I have fired a few hundred rounds from one of the Para-Carry PXT LDA (.45 ACP with 6+1 capacity) and it was a solid piece of super-compact 1911 style hardware. It was heavy, like all 1911's, but it cycled well. It was a bit snappy, but you'd expect that from a super-compact 1911 pattern.

XD's are great firearms, especially if they fit you better than the 1911 patterns. I'd mention the H&K USP also, but they're a bit on the pricey side as well, over $800 for a USP 45 compact. Springfield XD's are fine weapons and it's hard to beat their quality for the price.