• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Firearms

imported post

I have a XD in .45,and a Kimber Compact CDP. The XD has proven to be 110percent reliable with every round I've put through it. The Kimber was problems with going into battery for the first 400-500rds, not to mention some ftf. I polished the throat, polished the chamber, and did some work on the frame. After that no more problems. I guess their custom shop series means your the custom shop. I would buy a Springfield, or Para Ordinance. They seem to be great 1911s. If you have the money though an Ed Brown, or Nighthawk Custom is the best choice by far.

curtm1911

imported post

Like shad0fax, it depends on the situation.

Town: Taurus PT-1911 or Springfield G.I. Champion, both with Nite-Sites, & Kel-Tec P-11, two extra magazines for both firearms carried.

Rural/Wilderness: Ruger Redhawk 5 1/2" Barrel and either Norinco NHM-90 or Springfield Armory M1A and in close country a Mossberg 590

richarcm

imported post

I prefer to open carry my PT-1911 because it has some sweet grips and is just overall an attractive design. I think that an attractive gun can go a long way in creating a positive perception when open carrying.

I prefer to conceal carry my Springfield XD9 because it is lighter, smaller, and holds twice as many cartridges per magazine. It's just a more practical self defense gun.

Don Barnett

imported post

I carry a S&W 686 7 - Shot .357 Magnum. I bought it at a gun show before S&W sold out to the Clinton Administration. I like revolvers; they are reliable, and I like the .357 Magnum caliber. It is also a relatively big gun, which in my opinion would tend to scare a perpetrator off better than a small gun. Just my opinion...I never have had to do this...thank God. It is easy to carry in a high ride holster and the weight does not bother me.

Everytbody to his own preferences.

nh92d

imported post

i started off with a Beretta 92D with a Galco Matrix belt slide.i recently switched to a S&W SW40VE.Which i'm surprised i did because i always said that i'd never own "plastic" but i did break down after seeing this..not to mention the weight difference between the two.just gotta find a better holster then the utility onei got from uncle mikes..(doesn't stay open to well,so re-holstering requires two hands and some twisting,carry at 3-3:30ish)

GEDC0216-1.jpg

GEDC0218.jpg

Kimberdude

imported post

Avatar says it all.....Kimber CDP II .45ACP, CTC, 2 extra mags and SOG Pentagon Elite

My daily carry, cuz its fast, accurate, and I shoot pretty darn well with it's large boolits.:p

YllwFvr

imported post

Glock 22c then switched to Taurus PT111. Loved the glock but wanted something more compact. I carried those both regularly for a couple years.

W5DVC

imported post

suntzu wrote:
I am interested in the opinions of others as to what you carry and why you choose to carry the gun that you do.
Well since the newly elected President has taken office , I carry a 4inch S&W X FRAME chambered for the .500 S&W MAGNUM. I know it's a 5 shot and some may shy away from it because of over penetration issues. But CORBON has a load called the .500 S&W SPECIAL ( 350 GRAIN BARNES X BULLET @ 1250 FPS ) , pretty much on par with A WARM .45 LONG COLT . Leather from Milt Sparks . Comfortable to carry, Delivered ENERGY IS NOT A PROBLEM , AND IT'S OBAMA NEUTRAL!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT OBAMA NEUTRAL!!!!!!! It's not a semi-auto and it's not high capacity .With full moon clips ( for which the cylinder has been machined , curtesy of "TK CUSTOM" ) it can be reloaded faster than a semi-auto. I carry 6 in 3 double stacked carriers , for 30 rounds ,AND THAT'S A 350 GRAIN 50 CALIBRE BULLET!!!The work I've had done on the weopon : Tritium inserts from Meprolite in the sights , Trigger Job , Cylinder Machined for full moon clips by "TK CUSTOM" .I'M going to send it to Robbie Barkman "ROBAR" in Phoenix AZ. to have the exterior ROGARDED AND NP3 ALL THE INTERNAL MOVING PARTS. W5DVC :celebrate

Spectre

imported post

W5DVC wrote:
suntzu wrote:
I am interested in the opinions of others as to what you carry and why you choose to carry the gun that you do.
Well since the newly elected President has taken office , I carry a 4inch S&W X FRAME chambered for the .500 S&W MAGNUM. I know it's a 5 shot and some may shy away from it because of over penetration issues. But CORBON has a load called the .500 S&W SPECIAL ( 350 GRAIN BARNES X BULLET @ 1250 FPS ) , pretty much on par with A WARM .45 LONG COLT . Leather from Milt Sparks . Comfortable to carry, Delivered ENERGY IS NOT A PROBLEM , AND IT'S OBAMA NEUTRAL!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT OBAMA NEUTRAL!!!!!!! It's not a semi-auto and it's not high capacity .With full moon clips ( for which the cylinder has been machined , curtesy of "TK CUSTOM" ) it can be reloaded faster than a semi-auto. I carry 6 in double stacked carriers , for 30 rounds ,AND THAT'S A 350 GRAIN 50 CALIBRE BULLET!!!The work I've had done on the weopon : Tritium inserts from Meprolite in the sights , Trigger Job , Cylinder Machined for full moon clips by "TK CUSTOM" .I'M going to send it to Robbie Barkman "ROBAR" in Phoenix AZ. to have the exterior ROGARDED AND NP3 ALL THE INTERNAL MOVING PARTS. W5DVC :celebrate
Great! You made me laugh in the middle of my step moms work and everyone looked at me wierd,she works at the U of R Law Library. That an awesomely ballsy choice. :D

W5DVC

imported post

THANKS SPECTRE. I expect some people just don't get it . With my luck it will be some guy the size and disposition of MIKE TYSON who having been laid off or maybe never had a job to begin with will walk up with whatever "STICK-EM-UP" line is then in fashion. My reply to his request will be loud , on target , and I won't have to double tap him either . " ONE SHOT .........ONE KILL " minimum downrange liability with one shot fired. Here in Texas we ( private citizens ) do not have the luxury of hiding from liability issues like police officers , we can't hide behind ," POLICE OFFICER ACTING IN GOOD FAITH ", like LON HIRIUCHI OF THE FBI"S HOSTAGE RESCUE TEAM when he killed VICKIE WEAVER.If anyone has any questions on how to reload a revolver with full moon clips , see SMITH & WESSONSmain website and click on the video of Jerry Miculek in the lower left hand corner . W5DVC :D

40s-and-wfan

imported post

W5DVC wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Well since the newly elected President has taken office , I carry a 4inch S&W X FRAME chambered for the .500 S&W MAGNUM. I know it's a 5 shot and some may shy away from it because of over penetration issues. But CORBON has a load called the .500 S&W SPECIAL ( 350 GRAIN BARNES X BULLET @ 1250 FPS ) , pretty much on par with A WARM .45 LONG COLT . Leather from Milt Sparks . Comfortable to carry, Delivered ENERGY IS NOT A PROBLEM , AND IT'S OBAMA NEUTRAL!!!!! THAT'S RIGHT OBAMA NEUTRAL!!!!!!! It's not a semi-auto and it's not high capacity .With full moon clips ( for which the cylinder has been machined , curtesy of "TK CUSTOM" ) it can be reloaded faster than a semi-auto. I carry 6 in 3 double stacked carriers , for 30 rounds ,AND THAT'S A 350 GRAIN 50 CALIBRE BULLET!!!The work I've had done on the weopon : Tritium inserts from Meprolite in the sights , Trigger Job , Cylinder Machined for full moon clips by "TK CUSTOM" .I'M going to send it to Robbie Barkman "ROBAR" in Phoenix AZ. to have the exterior ROGARDED AND NP3 ALL THE INTERNAL MOVING PARTS. W5DVC :celebrate

I'd love to see a pic of this setup!!

40s-and-wfan

imported post

My new carry gun/holster! I moved from a Smith & Wesson SW99 to a S&W M&P 45. Kind of a big jump but I love it! The way the pistol fits my hand is extraordinary and I absolutely love the holster! The placement of the retention button makes drawing feel so natural and if you practice, it becomes second-nature to push the button!!

W5DVC

imported post

Thanks for the reply. The S&W M&P.45 is an excellent choice in my opinion . In a polymer framed weopon I prefer H&K. I've got a H&K USP.45 TACTICAL AND A USP .45 EXPERT . The thing I like about H&K'S is they work , right out of the box . The only thing done to these two guns was the addition of Tritium Night Sights , and I've carried both . Unfortunately I can't show you the BIG SMITH , sorry . If you read my reply to SPECTRE , then you are aware that I am following a plan . The S&W .500 MAGNUM is waiting to be shipped to ROBBIE BAARKMAN in Phoenix Arizona to have NP-3 applied to all the internal moving parts and have the exterior Rogarded . I talked to William T. Tucker yesterday and I am going to have him make (2) Rigs for me and 2 gunbelts for the .500 SMITH. A REVOLVER PANCAKE AND A REVOLVER TEXAS HERITAGE ( IWB ) HOLSTERS . It will take about 8 to 10 weeks for both the holster rigs and the work at ROBAR . I will be happy to post photos when I get them back . The most dissapointing thing about the SMITH is , although it's been out since 2003 there is a shortage of real quality leather for it . I've been carrying MILT SPARKS since 1987 and they will only make 1 holster for it , a holster actually designed by ELMER KEITH , AND EVEN THEY WILL MAKE IT IN ONLY 1 BARREL LENGTH , the 4" . I t is good as a field holster or for open carry , but difficult to conceal . Will post pics when I get it and the 2 new rigs back .If you are not familiar with the use of full moom clips to reload a revolver , go to Smith & Wessons main website and along the lower left hand side of the page you will see a link to a video of Jerry Miculek , click on it and select the reloading video. W5DVC :celebrate

40s-and-wfan

imported post

W5DVC, I thought of getting the HK USP in .45 but settled for the M&P. It left a little money afterwards and I'm just as satisfied with it! I'm honestly in awe as to how well it fits in my hand!! Like it was made for my hand and my hand only! I love it!

By the way, are you a Ham??