• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Paintball

stealthyeliminator

imported post

Anyone play? I've played as much as possible (a few times a year) for the past few years. I love it. I have a Model 98 with it's fair share of milling, a Lapco Bigshot andPhycho Ballistics E-bolt, a Crossfire HPA tank, and a Proto Switch EL. More to come, of course.MyTippmann ismy ever-on-going project.

If you've never played and have been looking for a good activity to get involved in, you should see if there is a field near you. Get some friends together and rent some gear to use. Almost anyone can play. I think the minimum age is generally around 10. As long as the general safety rules are followed, it's really one of the safest sports in the world, even thoughthe game is based around sending.68 cal projectiles over 200 mph at other people.No joke... If you'd like more info you can ask mehere or check out paintball.com. I've been a member of their forum for years, ever since I got my Tippmann. It's a little dead but I'd be suprised if it took more than a few hours to get a response to a paintball related question.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The other night I saw a news piece about LE using paintball guns in tactical response training. They showed how they staged a mock school shooting response.

It looked like they were using specially designed guns that were made more like their service pieces that fired paintball rounds.

Seems like a very good way to conduct live fire exercises without risk of getting anyone hurt.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
The other night I saw a news piece about LE using paintball guns in tactical response training. They showed how they staged a mock school shooting response.

It looked like they were using specially designed guns that were made more like their service pieces that fired paintball rounds.

Seems like a very good way to conduct live fire exercises without risk of getting anyone hurt.
They were probably using simunitions. Paintball-like projectiles fired fromconverted firearms. Get hit with one of those and you learn real quick how to keep your butt down. We used them for MOUT training in the Marine Corps.

Gordie

imported post

Another form of realistic training involves airsoft. Replace the plastic balls with paint, and you have a simulation that looks and feels like the real thing, just not lethal.

JDriver1.8t

imported post

They sell paintballs for airsoft weapons. They are fragile though.

When we used them, we kept them in a cooler at the field, and a little ice pack in mag pouches with our spare mags. This kept them from breaking when being fed.

You have to strip the gun and clean it after each use as well which gets old really quickly.

I had a model 98 when they first came out and kick myself every couple of weeks when I remember that I sold it for dirt cheap to a neighbor.

eyesopened

imported post

I used to play for years and had a ton of fun. It wasgreat workout too. You don't know how fast you can run or how high you can jump until a group of guys are yelling at you and shooting guns in your general direction :lol:

ickthus

imported post

read the news this week where a guy was charged with assault with a firearm for shooting his drunk freinds windshield with a paintball gun,to keep him from driving drunk. paintball is a firearm? what's next ? supersoaker?

JBURGII

imported post

ickthus wrote:
read the news this week where a guy was charged with assault with a firearm for shooting his drunk freinds windshield with a paintball gun,to keep him from driving drunk. paintball is a firearm? what's next ? supersoaker?

Be careful what you speculate...

• In Glendale, Arizona and Phoenix, Arizona combustion spudguns are considered firearms.
Subject: RE: potato gun legality The legality of potato guns are as follows. If the potato is expelled by the use of air it is OK. If any explosion occurred from gas, powder, etc. it is illegal and cannot be fired. The "firearm" definition is what dictates this.

http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/index.php?title=Legal_issues

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I knew a kid back in high school thatwasconvicted offelony 2nd degree assault: assault with a deadly weapon, for accidentally hitting another kid with a dart from an air pistol. Ya know, one of those air pistols that wont shoot a BB through a soda can at 5 feet? :? The dart created a cut on the back of the other kid's neck that had stopped bleeding before paramedics arrived.

stealthyeliminator

imported post

Yeah... There are some crazy laws out there. Thankfully they haven't penetrated too deeply into the paintball world yet.

And they don't need to... I mean, people automatically associate freedom and anarchy with chaos, lack of standards, lack of law and law enforcement, but none of those are necessarily true.

Things in which the government haven't yet tampered are usually great examples. The internet is a big one... Paintball is more or less a small one. Safety standards have risen ever since the beginning of paintball. None of them are enforced by law in any state, that I know of. The standards have risen because there was a call for them among players. Even in backyard ball or private games on private property, if you even hear me talking about it, safety is the #1 question. Do you have a chrono and does everyone have a paintball mask with a lens in good condition? Are they legally required to wear a mask and chrono? No, but most people still do when they're told by the experts and regulars thatit's a safety standard they should follow. Why do you think that is?

As far as actual fields go, they do have to have some rules, because they have to have insurance, and they wont be able to without having certain rules... But, standards and guidelines arose long before that was an issue. The point, I guess, is that safety standards will come if there is a call for them, with or without government intervention or enforcement.

Another example... The only recorded paintball related death(s) that I know of was/were caused be a CO2 tank being inadvertently unscrewed from the valve, releasing all of the pressure through the neck, turning the bottle into a rocket and hitting someone in the head. Could this happen again? It would be difficult to do, and almost impossible to do inadvertently. I say almost impossible with the assumption that nothing is impossible. CO2 tanks today are made with a new safety feature, a hole drilled into the threads that the valve attaches to. If you were to start unscrewing the valve from the tank, you'd uncover the hole, which would release the pressurein the tank, quite quickly. Now the only thing directly paintball related that's ever caused a death has a pretty much sure-fire fix... All, to my knowledge, without government intuition, funding, law making or enforcement.

tag

imported post

stealthyeliminator wrote:
If you'd like more info you can ask mehere or check out paintball.com. I've been a member of their forum for years, ever since I got my Tippmann. It's a little dead but I'd be suprised if it took more than a few hours to get a response to a paintball related question.
I used to play occasionally, and my resource for all things paintball was http://www.pbnation.com

No idea if the site is still any good (in terms of quality of the members and content), but when I was on there (3-5 years ago) it was.

My first paintball gun (marker if you want to be PC) was a Tippmann Model 98 Custom. Second was a 2k3 Summer Edition Autococker. Cost and no nearby field kept me from playing as much as I'd have liked. The nearest field was about an hour away, and I didn't even have my learner's permit at the time

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

JBURGII wrote:
If any explosion occurred from gas, powder, etc. it is illegal and cannot be fired. The "firearm" definition is what dictates this.

http://www.spudfiles.com/spud_wiki/index.php?title=Legal_issues
When I was in high school I got into an argument with my Physics instructor when he said that "gas 'explodes' in the cylinder forcing the piston down..." (referring to internal COMBUSTION engines and I believe the topic was 'torque') I stringently objected stating that combustion was actually a controlled rapid burn causing the expansion of gasses yadda yadda yadda... The same applies to what happens in cartridges and even 'flame ignition potato guns' and the like. Therefore, if an 'explosion' is required for something to be defined as a firearm, then I do not, and would not, own a 'firearm'!

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

As for paintball...
Lots of fun, i should really play more often. It could also be great training for high stress situations! A friend of mine is in the Army Reserves and when she got back from one of her duty weekends she had a couple of bruises from a paintball training exercise! So, if its good enough for the military....
The most serious injuries that I have seen or heard of from paintballs are from them being intentionally frozen!
Also, There are rounds called 'paint splatter rounds' used by Police and Military for training exercises that fire through standard firearms without modification. The impact from those is very real! I believe one of the first places these were used was after 9/11 on airplanes....