Thread: CPL & Hiking?

Post imported post

Several times I have seen referenced here about Michigan Law but then also DNR Rules that restrict further outside of hunting season

So a buddy of mine and several friends are planning a hiking trip this summer. By then, the two of us will have our CPL's.

Can we carry loaded concealed or openly while on a hiking trip through trails and such in the wilderness?

At this point, I do not know if we will be hiking during a hunting season or not (i prefer not, since I dont want to interrupt the hunters, plus i'd rather be one of the hunters myself!)

Thanks!

Post imported post

The DNR prohibitions explicitly exempt the legal carrying of a concealed pistol by a CPL holder.

Post imported post

ok, cool.
    do you have a site where that information is listed?

:-)

Post imported post

Remember...Search is your friend on this site. Here is a DNR link:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...1578--,00.html

Post imported post

yea... it took me a while to find it, but finally found, but saw you also posted by then.

but thank you :-)

Post imported post

viperar15 wrote:
    Snip................

Can we carry loaded concealed or openly while on a hiking trip through trails and such in the wilderness?

Snip.......................
    Yes.

The DNR & State police agree that open or concealed carry of a handgun is legal everywhere in the state (except the gun free zones) without a hunting licenseAS LONG AS THERE IS NO ATTEMPT TO TAKE GAME.

Transporting a handgun has a very specific set of regulations. Know & follow them.

Post imported post

Just to add that the ability to OC while hiking is not limited to those with a CPL; any person that can OC generally (non-felon, registered handgun, etc) can OC while hiking, as long as there is no attempt to take game.

Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Post imported post

Michigan has a good number of trails which pass through our National Forests. It is important to note that the U.S. Forest Service defers to the state laws for their firearms and weapons policy.

The National Parks are in currently in transition, and should be reviewed immediately prior to any hikes in National Park lands.

Post imported post

Leader wrote:
    viperar15 wrote:
    Snip................

Snip.......................
    Yes.

The DNR & State police agree that open or concealed carry of a handgun is legal everywhere in the state (except the gun free zones) without a hunting licenseAS LONG AS THERE IS NO ATTEMPT TO TAKE GAME.

Transporting a handgun has a very specific set of regulations. Know & follow them.
    There are also additional transport rules that are in effect during firearm deer season, but we've got about ten months until that matters again.