• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CPL & Hiking?

viperar15

imported post

Several times I have seen referenced here about Michigan Law but then also DNR Rules that restrict further outside of hunting season

So a buddy of mine and several friends are planning a hiking trip this summer. By then, the two of us will have our CPL's.

Can we carry loaded concealed or openly while on a hiking trip through trails and such in the wilderness?

At this point, I do not know if we will be hiking during a hunting season or not (i prefer not, since I dont want to interrupt the hunters, plus i'd rather be one of the hunters myself!)

Thanks!

Leader

imported post

viperar15 wrote:
Snip................

Can we carry loaded concealed or openly while on a hiking trip through trails and such in the wilderness?

Snip.......................

Yes.

The DNR & State police agree that open or concealed carry of a handgun is legal everywhere in the state (except the gun free zones) without a hunting licenseAS LONG AS THERE IS NO ATTEMPT TO TAKE GAME.

Transporting a handgun has a very specific set of regulations. Know & follow them.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

Just to add that the ability to OC while hiking is not limited to those with a CPL; any person that can OC generally (non-felon, registered handgun, etc) can OC while hiking, as long as there is no attempt to take game.

[size="-1"][font="arial, helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font][/size]

Hcidem

imported post

Michigan has a good number of trails which pass through our National Forests. It is important to note that the U.S. Forest Service defers to the state laws for their firearms and weapons policy.

The National Parks are in currently in transition, and should be reviewed immediately prior to any hikes in National Park lands.

cmdio

imported post

Leader wrote:
viperar15 wrote:
Snip................

Snip.......................

Yes.

The DNR & State police agree that open or concealed carry of a handgun is legal everywhere in the state (except the gun free zones) without a hunting licenseAS LONG AS THERE IS NO ATTEMPT TO TAKE GAME.

Transporting a handgun has a very specific set of regulations. Know & follow them.
There are also additional transport rules that are in effect during firearm deer season, but we've got about ten months until that matters again.