• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Texas Open Carry Bill Expected Soon; Supported by Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Comments being accepoted now!

Commentary republished at http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/robison/6194141.htmltoo.

--

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/Open-carry_bill_likely_to_be_controversial.html

By Clay Robison - Express-News
AUSTIN — Texas legislators can't help themselves. Even before their upcoming session hits its stride, they will do something to get national attention, the kind that makes TV hosts snicker and roll their eyes.

A sure-fire attention-getter this session will be an anticipated bill to let Texans openly pack pistols on their hips, in their belts or elsewhere in public view as they go about their business.

Although many other states apparently already allow the practice, the “cowboy” image of holstered Texans strolling down Main Street or through the mall, arms dangling at their sides and wary eyes on the lookout for trouble, is an easy script for late-night satire.

Remember Matt Dillon, the quick-draw TV marshal?

The legislation is being promoted by OpenCarry.org, a national pro-gun group that says it has collected about 50,000 Texas signatures in a campaign that also has included some radio ads across the state.

Ian McCarthy of Austin, an online marketing entrepreneur who heads the online petition drive, said 44 other states already have “open carry” laws. He expects the Texas bill to be sponsored by Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball.

Riddle wasn't available for comment, but the bill would fit her legislative record. Two years ago, she co-sponsored the so-called “Castle Doctrine” law making it easier (legally) for Texans to use firearms to defend themselves against intruders in their homes.

More than 288,000 Texas adults have been licensed under a 1995 law that allows them to carry handguns after completing a firearms safety course. But they have to keep the weapons concealed, and there are restrictions on where they can take them.

Another major gun bill expected to be debated by lawmakers this year would loosen the restrictions to allow people with handgun licenses to carry their pistols on college campuses.

Interest in removing the prohibition on carrying guns on campus was sparked by the shooting deaths of 32 students at Virginia Tech University in 2007. Advocates for the change argue that students who are 21 or older and have handgun licenses should have the opportunity to arm themselves against similar attacks.

Gov. Rick Perry supports, at least in concept, both the open carry and the campus gun proposals but is awaiting details, spokesman Mark Miner said.

Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, who as a state senator sponsored the concealed handgun law in 1995, said he also supports the two proposals.

“Is an openly carried gun more dangerous than a concealed one? I don't think so,” Patterson said.

The fight, however, will be loud and emotional.

Bruce Elfant, a Travis County constable and gun-control advocate, is worried about both proposals, especially the proposal to allow guns on college campuses, which he believes would be dangerous public policy.

“The circus is coming to town, and it's always interesting.” he said.

•••

If there had been an opening day fight Jan. 13 over the speakership in the Texas House, Secretary of State Hope Andrade would have been the referee. Tom Craddick's withdrawal from the race, however, apparently relieves her of potentially difficult parliamentary decisions.

That's because the secretary of state always calls the House to order at the beginning of each new biennial session and presides until a speaker is formally elected.

Craddick's withdrawal from the race, however, seems to have removed any potential drama.

•••

The House committee that is studying ways to improve the state's preparation and response to hurricanes will have its sixth and final public hearing Wednesday at “ground zero” — Galveston Island.

That's where Hurricane Ike caused extensive damage when it roared ashore in September and where, some weeks later, hundreds of workers at the University of Texas Medical Branch were laid off by UT officials to stem financial losses from the hurricane.

The meeting is scheduled for 10 a.m. at the Galveston Island Convention Center. Mayor Lyda Ann Thomas, City Manager Steve LeBlanc and County Judge Jim Yarbrough also plan to be there.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Doesn't really amaze me though, It will be an uphill battle, just hope that the hill is not all that steep. A Constable wants to deny our rights, why am I not amazed.

FMCDH

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
I couldn't help laughing at the remarks made by the opponents of the OC bill. They can be so silly.

Good luck Texas, I'm rootin'for ya.

The one equating the people who drive SUVs to those carrying .50 DEs is classic. People need to realize that the majority of those that will be OCing are ALREADY carrying a firearm. If they are not acting like idiots now, they are not going to act like idiots then either.

Kind of makes me wonder however, what the pistols of choice are in Texas. .45s seem to be most popular here in Washington.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I sent Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball a short email saying it was rumored she would sponsor this bill, and thanked her, as well as pledged support for her future campaigns if she decided to seek higher office.

She may not represent my district, but she represents my interests.

I would encourage everyone to send her a quick email or make a phone call thanking her in advance.

Conagher

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
I sent Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball a short email saying it was rumored she would sponsor this bill, and thanked her, as well as pledged support for her future campaigns if she decided to seek higher office.

She may not represent my district, but she represents my interests.

I would encourage everyone to send her a quick email or make a phone call thanking her in advance.

Excellent idea! I sent her a thank you email as well.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Mike wrote:
DKSuddeth wrote:
sometimes I hate reporters.
Why, this is a great story for us?
After the initial 'remarks' by robison, it's a good story. The problem is that he sets the tone with such utter BS, dredging up cowboys, marshall dillon, and a looney texas legislature thats dying for some attention.

GumiBear

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Although many other states apparently already allow the practice, the “cowboy” image of holstered Texans strolling down Main Street or through the mall, arms dangling at their sides and wary eyes on the lookout for trouble, is an easy script for late-night satire.

I had to roll my eyes at this.

xd45_in_TX

Founder's Club Member

Repeater

imported post

The legislation is being promoted by OpenCarry.org, a national pro-gun group that says it has collected about 50,000 Texas signatures in a campaign that also has included some radio ads across the state. Ian McCarthy of Austin, an online marketing entrepreneur who heads the online petition drive, said 44 other states already have “open carry” laws. He expects the Texas bill to be sponsored by Rep. Debbie Riddle, R-Tomball.
I wonder if Riddle is pursuing licensed open-carry or Gold Star OC?

MoparMuscle

imported post

From http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_Forum/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=21484&start=0

Right2carry posted a link to an article appearing in the Houston Chronicle dealing, in part, with the open-carry issue that may make it to the Legislature this session. In it is a quote from former State Senator and current Texas Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson. (For those who don't know him, Jerry Patterson was the Senator who carried SB60 to passage in 1995 and he is often referred to as the "father of concealed carry in Texas.")

This same article by Clay Robertson also appears on MySanAntonio.com. The interesting part is that both articles appear to be identical, though I didn't compare them word-for-word. However, there is a very significant quote from Jerry Patterson that appears in the Chronicle article, but is missing from the San Antonio article. The relevant portions of each article are quoted below, with the missing quote highlighted in the Chronicle.

Houston Chronicle article wrote:Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, who as a state senator sponsored the concealed handgun law in 1995, said he also supports the two proposals.

"Is an openly carried gun more dangerous than a concealed one? I don't think so," Patterson said.

"Whether it's a shopping mall, a college campus or just on the street, if a person is 21 and licensed (to carry a firearm), what difference does it make?" he asked.

Bruce Elfant, a Travis County constable and gun-control advocate, is worried about both proposals, especially the proposal to allow guns on college campuses, which he believes would be dangerous public policy.

"The circus is coming to town, and it's always interesting," he said.

. . .​
Now for the San Antonio article that interestingly leaves out Jerry Patterson's comments about open-carry being for people who are licensed (CHLs):

San Antonio article wrote:Land Commissioner Jerry Patterson, who as a state senator sponsored the concealed handgun law in 1995, said he also supports the two proposals.

“Is an openly carried gun more dangerous than a concealed one? I don't think so,” Patterson said.

“The circus is coming to town, and it's always interesting.” he said.

. . .​
The San Antonio article is quoted on OpenCarry.org at http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum66/20237.html, but not the Chronicle article. I'm sure they are not aware that part of Jerry Patterson's comments have apparently been edited out by the San Antonio article, but it is nonetheless misleading. Perhaps someone who is registered on http://www.OpenCarry.org can post something pointing out this discrepancy so they can correct it.

Why would someone leave out such an important distinction made by the Father of Concealed Carry in Texas? It appears that someone is either trying to promote open-carry by misquoting Jerry Paterson, or someone who opposes open-carry (and Jerry Patterson) is trying to distort Jerry's position to hurt him politically in the future. Either way I find such blatant deception cause for concern.

Chas.

Chronicle article
San Antonio article