• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Inaccuracy in Texas state info...

stealthyeliminator

imported post

Weapon does not have to be concealed to carry in car. I believe it's as long as you can legally buy the particular weapon, you can legally carry in the vehicle, in reach, loaded, concealed or unconcealed. That would mean 18 for rifles/shotguns and 21 for handguns.

Wasn't sure where you put this so I figured general would be good...

stealthyeliminator

imported post

I went to find references and that's what I found, however, it's contrary to other sources... I'll have to get references though.

I suppose it's saying that it only needs to be concealed if it's a handgun? Which brings me to the question, does opencarry.org and open carry laws specifically apply to handguns and not rifles and shotguns? I thought it was both...

Another question, are you saying you can legally carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle with you if you 18-20?

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stealthyeliminator wrote:
Weapon does not have to be concealed to carry in car. I believe it's as long as you can legally buy the particular weapon, you can legally carry in the vehicle, in reach, loaded, concealed or unconcealed. That would mean 18 for rifles/shotguns and 21 for handguns.

Wasn't sure where you put this so I figured general would be good...

Stealth, I think you must conceal carry in Texas while in a vehicle.

See PC 46.02???

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/LS-16.pdf

stealthyeliminator

imported post

Yes, I found and read that in my search for references after posting.(the statutes)

I didn't see the part on the website that said it only applies to handguns.

I need to do some more research, though...

Hmm. Maybe I was wrong. Here's what I thought/was told.

You can legally carry concealed or unconcealed a rifle/shotgun in vehicle if 18+. You can legally carry concealed or unconcealed a pistol if 21+.

I'll have to check my sources... Sorry bout that. I guess this can be deleted.

what about the laws that have to do with not carrying in public? What about laws dealing with carrying of rifles or shotguns in public?Or having to be 21 to purchase a handgun or handgun ammo? Or18 to buy long guns?I didn't see anything in there about that, though I may have read over it, because it's so poorly written. It takes 5 minutes to comprehend what should have been written in a manner that could be comprehended in 30 seconds.

VAopencarry

imported post

Stealthy, May I suggest you research before you make a post declaring incorrect information. When declaring information as 'incorrect' you need to cite what is correct. Not 'I believe'. We like to stick to the facts around here, not maybe's, myths, and assumptions.

There is indeed some outdated info, if you come across something please forward the correct statute to JPierce.

stealthyeliminator

imported post

I was told what I posted by a knowledgable and trustworthy source, though because it was in person, obviously it would be difficult to cite them. To me knowledgable and trustworthy enough that I'm researching the matter more before I even go on that statutes that have alreadybeen posted... I know that I wouldn't have been told what I was without a reason. Either there is a loophole, a contradiction, or a misunderstanding...

SpringerXDacp

imported post

stealthyeliminator wrote:
As earlier, I againapologize for jumping the gun.
Stealth, all of us here at OCDO were newbs at one time or another. Don't letvenomous replies sway you and welcome to OCDO.