• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice recording laws in Washington

Triple Tap

imported post

This is for PRIVATE party conversations. If your in a public place where you can be overheard by others it doesn't apply to my knowledge. I am not a lawyer....blah,blah.. you know the rest.

diesel556

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I suppose I would need to pay for a lawyer's opinion regarding this, however if you stated to the other party, "This conversation is being recorded, if you do not consent to this recording you may end this conversation at any time"; would that provide the necessary consent?

Another member suggested this tactic to me.

joeroket

imported post

diesel556 wrote:
I suppose I would need to pay for a lawyer's opinion regarding this, however if you stated to the other party, "This conversation is being recorded, if you do not consent to this recording you may end this conversation at any time"; would that provide the necessary consent?

Another member suggested this tactic to me.
Their actions of continuing to speak after that statement is implied consent to record. Of course IANAL but I do recall seeing court decisions based on this and being told it as well by a retired FBI agent during criminal justice classes.

kparker

imported post

All of the above.

I don't actually have one, but when I've been with folks who do, they tend to run them the whole time they're out and about. Modern ones have a fairly long recording time...