• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shotgun as a handgun

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

nking wrote:
not to long ago i remember someone posting a picture of if i remember some sort of shot gun that fits in a holster similar to the one oh Mississippi used to wear lol, does anyone remember the name of that gun? I was looking into the legalities of that thing and comparing them to Texas law.
Possibly the Serbu Super Shorty

Its an Any Other Weapon (AOW) and requires a Federal stamp, something like $8.

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Right. I believe they're 2 in the tube + 1 in the chamber. They can be based on a few different manufacturer's host actions and I think some are 3" as well.

Virginian683

imported post

6 1/2 inch barrel? The shot must spread wide as hell.

I guess $700 is an ok price. But I would recommend having at least 5,000 cash on hand before purchase. $700 for the gun, and $4,300 for the surgery after you fracture every bone in your hand firing it. :quirky

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

The counter guy at West Coast Armory in Issaquah claims it is not as bad as a Smith 460 or 500. For what that's worth.

Virginian683

imported post

Jim675 wrote:
The counter guy at West Coast Armory in Issaquah claims it is not as bad as a Smith 460 or 500. For what that's worth.
I don't even think I'd pick up one of those guns. I'm not a big recoil fan. Not that it's painful or that I can't handle it (in calibers like .357 mag or .40), I just prefer ease of shooting.

mrbiggles

Banned
imported post

one very cool pistola

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=199&category=Revolver

44-410L1side_9.jpg

Virginian683

imported post

Nice, except the .410 shot coming out of that short 2.5 inch barrel is inaccurate as hell and has such a low velocity it won't penetrate worth a crap.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

You can still fire .45 colt from it, which should be good for defense, but then what's the point of the overly long chambers?

You cannot make a pistol a shotgun, no matter how hard you try. And vice versa.

FogRider

imported post

.410 would indeed be about half worthless for defense against animals of the two legged variety, but it'd be nice to have something small to pack around in rattlesnake and rabbit territory. Load it up with .410 in the mountains, swap in some .45Colt when you drive back down.

Virginian683

imported post

FogRider wrote:
.410 would indeed be about half worthless for defense against animals of the two legged variety, but it'd be nice to have something small to pack around in rattlesnake and rabbit territory.
You must have some mean rabbits out in Colorado. :quirky

Hcidem

imported post

I'm sure it would be a hoot to shoot it.

Factory powder loads are designed to continue propulsion through the end of a full-length barrel. Much of the power available to a shotshell would be"lost" out the muzzle of such a short gun. Since most recoil is produced by back pressure against the projectile, this "shorty" wouldn't have the same recoil as would a 26" barrel.