• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

So you want to get tough ?

taxwhat

imported post

Attend your local government meeting ! First two three times sit back and Absorb put then to task on OPEN Meetings and Freedom of Information Act keep them on there toes .Then with politeness During open citizens time vocalize your thoughts but make sure you are correct on your topic take no prisoners .Be a ambassador of Education they will respect you and US . Please add any sites that may help others .Then post your updates to motivate all.

taxwhat

imported post

Here is test !
The Board meets under the rules of the Michigan Open Meetings Act, 1976 PA 267. Closed sessions, usually held prior to the meetings, also follow these guidelines. That means meetings are posted in advance and minutes are kept.

Board Meeting Participation Guidelines
  • Public Hearing: Once the public hearing is declared open, residents are invited to speak. Afterward, the public hearing is declared closed, and the Board may take action on the item.
  • Citizens' comments on agenda items: Residents who wish to comment on a specific action item may do so when the issue is being discussed by the Board.
  • Citizens' comments on non-agenda items: Residents who wish to comment on non-agenda items may do so at the beginning of regular meetings.
  • Additional public comments: Citizens are given a second opportunity to make any comments at the end of the meeting.
Meeting Participation Code of Courtesy
The Board respects the rights of citizens to participate in the legislative process, and asks that everyone adhere to the following Code of Courtesy:

• Begin your comments by stating your name and address for the record.
  • All public comments should provide a point of view, gain information, share a criticism, or express a concern.
  • Be considerate of others who wish to speak by limiting your comments to a reasonable length. The Supervisor may impose a three-minute limit on individual comments when deemed necessary.
  • At the Supervisor's discretion, the forum portion of the agenda may be limited to 30 minutes Public Meetings******** This is good*******
The Board meets under the rules of the Michigan Open Meetings Act, 1976 PA 267. Closed sessions, usually held prior to the meetings, also follow these guidelines. That means meetings are posted in advance and minutes are kept.

Board Meeting Participation Guidelines
  • Public Hearing: Once the public hearing is declared open, residents are invited to speak. Afterward, the public hearing is declared closed, and the Board may take action on the item.
  • Citizens' comments on agenda items: Residents**Wrong ! any person may speak !] ^^^ who wish to comment on a specific action item may do so when the issue is being discussed by the Board.
  • Citizens' comments on non-agenda items: Residents **wrong !**who wish to comment on non-agenda items may do so at the beginning of regular meetings.
  • Additional public comments: Citizens are given a second opportunity to make any comments at the end of the meeting.
Meeting Participation Code of Courtesy
The Board respects the rights of citizens to participate in the legislative process, and asks that everyone adhere to the following Code of Courtesy:

• Begin your comments by stating your name and address for the record. ***Only if ALL do !***
  • All public comments should provide a point of view, gain information, share a criticism, or express a concern.
  • Be considerate of others who wish to speak by limiting your comments to a reasonable length. The Supervisor may impose a three-minute limit on individual comments when deemed necessary. ****Wrong ! Only if The Board has passed Time Limit and it is enforced for ALL at ALL times if not NO time limit !***
  • At the Supervisor's discretion, the forum portion of the agenda may be limited to 30 minutes Wrong Time of open Citizens Time May NEVER be Total Limited **!
Access to Public Meeting Is to all******************************************************************TOP[/font]******************TOP[/align][/font]

joshuaeberly

imported post

taxwhat wrote:
Attend your local government meeting ! First two three times sit back and Absorb put then to task on OPEN Meetings and Freedom of Information Act keep them on there toes .Then with politeness During open citizens time vocalize your thoughts but make sure you are correct on your topic take no prisoners .Be a ambassador of Education they will respect you and US . Please add any sites that may help others .Then post your updates to motivate all.
I agree, we can call out the legislature all we want, but what kind of a voice does 100, 500, 5000 citizens have? we need to band together, and yes, attempt to influence the legislature, but while doing so, we need to work on our local gov'ts.

hypothetical.

I am introducing this bill because I have recieved over 500 letters demanding this portion of the law be changed, and I support this.

or

I am introducing this bill because I have recieved over 500 letters, and been contacted by representatives of these 5 counties, and these 3 cities demanding this change.

or

I am introducing this bill because I've recieved over 5000 letters, and have been contacted by nearly half the township boards in the state demanding that this be changed.

which is more likely to pass?

taxwhat

imported post

CITY COUNCIL MEETING INFORMATION

[align=justify]City Council meetings are open to the public and are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 23200 Gratiot Avenue, Eastpointe, Michigan 48021; (586) 445-5016 ext. 3. All meetings are held in accordance with the Michigan Open Meetings Act. The City Council meeting agenda is prepared by the City Manager's office.[/align]

[align=justify]Each regular meeting agenda contains two "Hearings of the Public" as standard items, one near the beginning of the meeting and one near the end of the meeting. Any public statements made during the "Hearing of the Public" are subject to the following rules:[/align]

afolbul1.gif

[font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]

[align=justify]Public participants must first state their name and place of residence. [/font][/align]

afolbul1.gif

[align=justify]Public participants may speak for a maximum of five minutes. [/font][/align]

afolbul1.gif

[align=justify]Public participants may speak only once during each "Hearing of the Public." [/font][/align][font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]

[align=justify]CITY COUNCIL MEETING INFORMATION[/align]

[align=justify]City Council meetings are open to the public and are held on the first and third Tuesdays of each month in the Council Chambers at City Hall, 23200 Gratiot Avenue, Eastpointe, Michigan 48021; (586) 445-5016 ext. 3. All meetings are held in accordance with the Michigan Open Meetings Act. The City Council meeting agenda is prepared by the City Manager's office.[/align]

[align=justify]Each regular meeting agenda contains two "Hearings of the Public" as standard items, one near the beginning of the meeting and one near the end of the meeting. Any public statements made during the "Hearing of the Public" are subject to the following rules:[/align]

[align=justify]

afolbul1.gif

[align=justify]Public participants must first state their name and place of residence. Only if all do at all times [/font][/align]

afolbul1.gif

[align=justify]Public participants may speak for a maximum of five minutes. Only if passed and never vared [/font][/align]

afolbul1.gif

[align=justify]Public participants may speak only once during each "Hearing of the Public." Who made this up ? Wrong ![/font][/align][font="Arial, Arial, Helvetica"]
[/align]

[align=justify][/align][/font]
[/font]

taxwhat

imported post

guidelines for audience participation apply to a public hearing.

General Courtesies For All
Please direct your comments to the Mayor.
Please be polite and refrain from using offensive or abusive language.

Communication With The City
In addition to attending City Council meetings, you can communicate your specific interests with the City of Novi in a variety of ways. You may want to consider these actions prior to attending a meeting:

• Contact the city departments directly to speak with the staff who are there to assist you with your questions and comments. If you are not sure which department to speak with, contact the Public Information office at 248-347-0494 and they will direct you to the appropriate personnel.
  • City department directors oversee the daily operations of the city and may have the specific information that you want. Prior to an item being placed on the meeting agenda, there has usually been a record of action of the subject within the city departments, so it may be best to start your inquiries there. Department phone numbers are available on this website, or you may call the general city number at 248-347-0460 for an automated listing of departments.
  • You may also consider writing a letter to the City Council. Your letter is then photocopied listed under communications and included in the packet of information that is given to Council prior to a meeting. The letter should be sent to the attention: Novi City Council, 45175 West Ten Mile Road, Novi, MI 48375

All here is legal

Hcidem

imported post

For today and tomorrow, we need to remember that the founders of our republic did not choose representative government to remove us from the decision process. They chose it, in part,to ensure that moderation and accountability would be built into that process. We Americans have abdicated most of the power we have over our government by our absence. It is well past time to make up for our short-comings.

For next year and the years to come, we need to remember that local politicians form the largest portion of our dominant political parties. These are often the people who will be voted into office for county, state, and even national offices. As we petition them today for our grievances, we help them develop the perspective they will carry in years to come.

We must be insistent. We must be persuasive. We must give our opponents nothing they can use against us.

Please also remember that our state legislators are well aware of who fills the local offices in their district. As they consider new legislation, they are definitely receptive to these people's view points. Any council person, mayor, sheriff, or police chief that indicates a new law would be generally unenforceable (or of no positive substance), is typically given that lawmaker's ear. It is our job to influence the understanding of these local office holders before they share their opinions.

Hcidem

imported post

So many battles are fought and won, but never heralded. For the sake of increasing the momentum of the Michigan Open Carry movement, I suggest we create some type of victory chart.

This would not be to brag about how so-and-so was put in their place. I would be more interested in seeing a list of documentable incidents where published or posted city, park, state rules were removed or amended to reflect the law. I would include any legislative victories in which OC activists had taken a significant part. I would even include a major change of understanding in a local council or LEO department which brought them toward a better understanding of the law.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Hcidem wrote:
So many battles are fought and won, but never heralded. For the sake of increasing the momentum of the Michigan Open Carry movement, I suggest we create some type of victory chart.

This would not be to brag about how so-and-so was put in their place. I would be more interested in seeing a list of documentable incidents where published or posted city, park, state rules were removed or amended to reflect the law. I would include any legislative victories in which OC activists had taken a significant part. I would even include a major change of understanding in a local council or LEO department which brought them toward a better understanding of the law.

I received a response that the City of East Lansing will be taking down any no firearms signs they may have at their city parks.

I'm working on removing the no firearm ordinance in parks fromBath Township. They are in the reviewing state and I will post the result.

Currently working with Traverse City on removing the no firearm ordinance in their parks. Just notified them two weeks ago and have notgotten a response. I emailed them yesterday for an update, with no response. I did give them 90 days to correct the issue. I will update as needed.

conservative85

imported post

I'm just happy some body used some of my favorite words...Representative Republic. So many people use the D word ugh!

taxwhat

imported post

Hcidem wrote:
For today and tomorrow, we need to remember that the founders of our republic did not choose representative government to remove us from the decision process. They chose it, in part,to ensure that moderation and accountability would be built into that process. We Americans have abdicated most of the power we have over our government by our absence. It is well past time to make up for our short-comings.

For next year and the years to come, we need to remember that local politicians form the largest portion of our dominant political parties. These are often the people who will be voted into office for county, state, and even national offices. As we petition them today for our grievances, we help them develop the perspective they will carry in years to come.

We must be insistent. We must be persuasive. We must give our opponents nothing they can use against us.

Please also remember that our state legislators are well aware of who fills the local offices in their district. As they consider new legislation, they are definitely receptive to these people's view points. Any council person, mayor, sheriff, or police chief that indicates a new law would be generally unenforceable (or of no positive substance), is typically given that lawmaker's ear. It is our job to influence the understanding of these local office holders before they share their opinions.
The bold is GOLD ...........This is very good .....TEAM work . Any council person, mayor, sheriff, or police chief that indicates a new law would be generally unenforceable (or of no positive substance), is typically given that lawmaker's[ VOTER is key ]ear.

taxwhat

imported post

If you wish to ask question ask . or pm or call 734-657-3268....................Is there a no gun sign at your [ City Hall , Twp meeting place ,Village or other public place ] is it legal ? ASK ?> Does your Police Office Have no gun posting on general [public ]entrance ? ASK is it legal ? At public park ?

Hcidem

imported post

The little City of Rockford is one of those places where one might expect a lot of "generally accepted" extra-legal activities such as this type of signage. They continually surprise me, however.

I have found no ordinances, postings,or rules contrary to Michigan's pre-emption law on firearms. As usual, they are particularly within the limits of the law.

taxwhat

imported post

[align=left][/b]
[/align]
Attached Image (viewed 496 times):

attachment.php

IMO We Must Have 3 to 5 County RTM [ organisers]These are to large to have Mini rallies [ Educational Meets] , Divide and Conquer .Urban < rulal may have more .

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15442.html

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/15972.html

The links above talk about RTM’s. I originally suggested we get a few for each region and would love to have one for each county. But no one has stepped up since the original15 or so volunteered. So if anyone wants a particular county please let me know.

To date members have worked independently as a grass roots operation with a small core group of people assisting where they can, and that has worked out well. There is no board of directors, no official officers, just volunteers doing what they can. But the Michigan Open Carry (MOC) movement is growing and with growth comes increasing responsibility as our actions could affect millions of Michigan gun owners.

It’s evident that open carry is growing in Michigan
. With the recent arrest and dismissal for open carry in Grand Haven and the possible civil litigation to follow it’s prudent to consider the possibility that as word gets out those opposed to OC will start enacting ways to restrict or ban our OC right.
I’m asking for volunteers to be “MOC Regional Team Members” (MOC-RTM) with a goal of five for each region, that’s just 25 people total, and more is always welcome. These Team members would be the “go to person” in managing OC activities in their regions. Ideally I would like to see one contact person for each county, but for now 5 people per region would be very helpful. Duties for the contact person could include but not limited to any of the following.

1) Organize OC get-togethers, present talks on OC to local sportsman groups, gun clubs, Police agencies, etc. Develop other members to be county contact persons within their regions.

2) Contact and be interviewed by the media.

3) Keep abreast and post any current pro and anti-gun legislation in their regions.

4) Work to develop good relationships with Sheriffs, Local PDs, and Legislators in their regions. Also help with any clerical need e.g. mailings, fund-raising, etc.

Everyone has talents that they can use to promote the OC cause. The MOC-RTM would develop a network of talented volunteers within their region to assist them in promoting OC.

As a start I have divided the state into regions that takes into account Counties and to some extent senate political boundaries. There is some overlap between districts but at this time we will have to deal with this until we get more volunteers to work smaller areas within regions.

If you are interested in helping to represent and work in your area let me know either by posting here or by PMing me. You will have the opportunity to shape the future of OC in